PDA

View Full Version : whats a good trail setup

03warriorrider
12-31-2006, 01:58 PM
i dont exactly know where to post this but ive been looking at the 450r and 400ex and i dont know which one to get. i have a warrior now and i want more power and deffinatley better suspension. but my question is whats a really good trail setup. i do 90% trail and the rest sand pits. im starting to get into jumping but not really racing. although its something i would love to do but dont have enough experience. the trails i ride can get pretty rocky and muddy in spme spots but then just srait woops. whats a good 450r setup or a good 400ex setup. what do you guys have. pics are always nice to.

mustangflyboy
12-31-2006, 03:01 PM
I 'm breaking in my 06 450r still completely stock. I ride probably 70% sand dunes and the rest trails. I just sold my '01 stock 400ex. The 450r's are higher geared and don't like to lug like the 400ex motor. I really liked the "tractor like" motor on the 400ex for the trails, but I wanted alot more power for the dunes, and the 450's have it.
I rode on some open trails yesterday with my brother who has an "05 stock 400ex that on which he just installed an HMF slip on.
I rode his 400ex for a little while and wow! it felt like it has alot more power than my old 400ex. I had a blast on it. . I loved how I could kinda lug around a corner and roll on the throttle and it would just pull through with out any complaint. I like how the power comes on smooth with the 400ex
IMO The throttle on the 450r's are jerky down low and the motor "rattles", just doesn't like the low rpm's, but I'm hoping a cam swap will change this.
I know, the "R" is for "race" And man, if you wanna get some where quick, just stab the throttle and away you fly.

If you ride mostly rocky/technical trails, IMO, the 450r is not for you. I would would def go with a newer 400ex and and get atleast a slip on. If you want a big jump in power ,put a higher comp. piston in and a cam. Even with the stock bore it would make a BIG difference. Stock is 9:1, can go as high as 11:1 on good 91 octane.
I wish I could have both quads. 400ex's are pretty good for jumpin' too.
I'm still breaking in my new R, so I haven't seen it's full potential yet, but I hope I don't regret selling my 400ex. I haven't heard of any one yet say that they have. But most of them are just wanting to go as fast as posible.
Suspension is also stiffer on the R's
Well there is my .02's , along with the other .98 I guess
So many choices huh? Have fun! :)

JW450R1
01-01-2007, 06:40 AM
nicely said.a 400ex is a good step up from a warrior.the sus.,and power is a lot more.a ex can be moded to produce good power.but nothing beats the power of a 450r.it all depends on the style riding u do.the 450r is faster rider machine b/c of the luging,only b/c it starving to rip and go fast all the time.both machines are a good step-up from a warrior.

fatkid400
01-01-2007, 07:40 AM
I currentlly have a 450r and had a 400 ex.Both machines are great in the woods.The 400 had great power stock for a woods bike.The 450 has AWSOME power stock and after I added the full fmf exhaust it got even meaner,but lacked the low end grunt my 400 had, After dropping 1 tooth off the front sprocket the bottom end is unbelievable now.

Sjorge450R
01-01-2007, 07:42 AM
just put a rekluse in my R and it loves going slow!! NO stalling over here!

mustangflyboy
01-01-2007, 07:06 PM
how does the rekluse clutch work?

Structure240sx
01-01-2007, 08:26 PM
mustang- that jerking around and rattle will be cured instantly with a $15 13 tooth sprocket. i did that the first week i had the 450. i love longer gears but for trails it was so much clutch work getting through and even wheelies were crap with it

i missed my 400 for the first few times i had my 450 out in the trails. the 450 takes some getting used to but once you do its a ton of fun. i have no regrets. only complaint is that my 450 wants to stand up over jumps when my 400 was level as hell.

Sjorge450R
01-02-2007, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by mustangflyboy
how does the rekluse clutch work?

it replaces the stock pressure plate and makes the quad impossible to stall. You can still use the clutch (I do. I cant ride without it...lol) but once you start going slow, you can bein 3rd gear and jsut keep riding. Very nice.

03warriorrider
01-02-2007, 04:57 PM
thacks for the replies guys.

sjorge300ex so you suggest a rekluse clutch for the trails. and with it installed your able to lugg it over rocks and such like a 400ex? are you running a 13 tooth sprocket to or just the new clutch?

Sjorge450R
01-03-2007, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by 03warriorrider
thacks for the replies guys.

sjorge300ex so you suggest a rekluse clutch for the trails. and with it installed your able to lugg it over rocks and such like a 400ex? are you running a 13 tooth sprocket to or just the new clutch?

just the new clutch. I dont plan on switching down to a 13 until I get out and ride the clutch on some rocks. I mean right now the power feels amazing and it feels like if I drop to a 13, I will just be snapping my neck everytime I hit the gas....lol

03warriorrider
01-03-2007, 06:41 PM
now is there a particular year in the 450r that works better on the trails . like are the older models (04 & 05) less snappy or dont like to rev as high as the 06 & 07. or are they all just about the same. i'm asking this cause i thought i read somewhere that in 06 they went to a higher compression ratio and i wanted to know if it made a big difference on the trails. i could be wong im not sure thats why im asking.

exrider44
01-03-2007, 07:00 PM
When I first got my 04 it didnt like to lug in the woods. But when i got a hmf full exhaust and cam its great now. I dont even need to drop a tooth in front. I have tried it but I like the stock gearing. I ride woods mostly and some dunes. I used to have the 400ex and I will say its a great woods bike but it lacks some power. Just my opinion. But both good choices.

ajr400ex
01-03-2007, 08:15 PM
I have an '04 450r with a Rekluse clutch and a bunch of other stuff for XC. I am running the HRC kit, 13/39 gearing, longer swingarm, and suspension work. I would recommend the clutch, gearing, and having the shocks revalved and a new rear link from GTT. That would make it pretty good on the trail and still have a ton of power without breaking the bank to bad. I came off a 400ex and it took some getting use to. The above mods on the 450 made it alot easier to ride/race in the woods without stalling it.

mustangflyboy
01-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Structure240sx
mustang- that jerking around and rattle will be cured instantly with a $15 13 tooth sprocket. i did that the first week i had the 450. i love longer gears but for trails it was so much clutch work getting through and even wheelies were crap with it

i missed my 400 for the first few times i had my 450 out in the trails. the 450 takes some getting used to but once you do its a ton of fun. i have no regrets. only complaint is that my 450 wants to stand up over jumps when my 400 was level as hell.

I bought a 13 tooth and when I went to install it I found it already had a 13 on it, stock. Just bought it new before Christmas. I thought they came w/ a 14 stock, guess not.
I just bought a full HMF system , I think it will help a ton. I took the stock baffle out momentarily just to see what itwas like. Definatley louder, but I honestly think it ran better. It didn't seem to rattle, and when very slowly pushing the throttle it seemed to rev slower/ more smoothly. Where before, right off idle it would kinda stumble just a tad and then suddenly start to rev. Maybe I just couldn't here the stumble over the louder exhaust, but I think it was better. I also plan on getting eaither a HC stg. 1 cam or the Balwin XC cam, hear they make the biggest difference
Read bout the Rekluse on their site. Sounds sweet but holy crap big $$ I think. Maybe later

byrdman37876
01-03-2007, 10:43 PM
well my 07 was a 13 tooth but i changed it to a 12. it wanted to much throttle before for the woods witch is what i ride all the time. always clutching the **** out of it but the smaller sprocket helped out a lot. and bringing the front up is no prob now.i also set the shocks to be a little softer also so i could get on it harder ( because of the beast wanting to throw me off ). pretty good set up for me.