PDA

View Full Version : brand new 07 450r

Dragginbody
12-31-2006, 11:18 AM
just got this new 450 friday night and i am worried about the motor.

first time i started it i let it warm up for a couple minutes.

the motor seems to make a quite noticable knocking type sound.

kinda like it has no oil in it.

i checked and the oil is at the correct level.

it gets quite worse with over half throttle.

is this normal?

i am taking it back to the dealer the next day they are open to make sure.

any help or opinions are much appreciatied.

lj450r
12-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Yes this normal for a high compression motor. Also i may want to dump the fuel and get some 93 octane which is recommended. Who knows what fuel your dealership put in it. My 06 does the same thing , i checked the valve clearance and everything is were it needs to be. Remember this is not a 400ex. This is a real motor.

Dragginbody
12-31-2006, 11:36 AM
thanks for the fast reply.

yea this sounds nothing like my 400.

to be honest i clutched up the 450 once and it sounded like it was gonna blow to pieces.

if its normal, thats cool. just sounds like alot of metal on metal contact..

700bRad
12-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Mine sounded the same way when I got it. But its not as bad as the 700 rappy sounds out of the box lol, now thats some gnarly motor noise.

sammy5x
12-31-2006, 02:51 PM
My 07 did the same thing. It was from the cheap ***** gas the dealership put in it.

ckasper18
12-31-2006, 02:53 PM
They should make a little noise never hurts to take it back and have the dealer check it out for you better to be safe then sorry.

Dragginbody
12-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by ckasper18
They should make a little noise never hurts to take it back and have the dealer check it out for you better to be safe then sorry.

yea thats what i am thinking. like 20 people on the different forums have told me that its normal.

but i want to have them hear it and tell me its ok.

so if i grenade the motor i can say i told ya so. haha

anyone know how much the extended 4 year warranty is and if its worth it?

sammy5x
12-31-2006, 05:47 PM
I got the 42 month Honda ext warranty on my 04 and I got my money's worth 5 times over. I got the same on the 07 and paid around $400. Make sure you get the genuine Honda plan though.

Dave400ex
01-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Both of mine did the same thing, the 06ER I had and now my 07.

Sammy did you get a kickstart? I like my kicker so much better then my electric.

sammy5x
01-01-2007, 09:28 AM
I got a smokin deal on an ER and I wanted to see what everyone was stiching about on the e-start model. I have the kicker add on so I will have both soon. I may be one of the lucky ones but no problems with the e-starter as long as I shut my key off when not riding, keep the battery topped off, and no gas on the fire. I was talking with Mike Cafro the other day and his practice bikes are all e-starts and he has had no problems either as long as he does the same routine. Kickers kill it on a dead engine start all day though.

Dave400ex
01-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Normal trail riding wasn't a problem, but the start was horrible with mine. I had the starter clutch replaced once and I believe it was starting to go out again so I got a 07 kicker. I got my kicker to start first kick in gear while it was all stock and they are jetted like crap from the factory, so I can't wait to see how it does with my pipe and all the stuff in/on the carb.

Goodluck with your's.

dober250R
01-01-2007, 11:16 AM
I bought an 07 a little while ago, and the clutch was adjusted wayyyy to tight from the factory, which was causing it to do some weird stuff. And I blew 1 of the fuses already.......

iamjasyn
01-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by dober250R
I bought an 07 a little while ago, and the clutch was adjusted wayyyy to tight from the factory, which was causing it to do some weird stuff. And I blew 1 of the fuses already.......

They have fuses??? That suckkks!!

honda4life72
01-01-2007, 01:43 PM
mine was loud when i first bought it ..but i rod eit for a few weeks and it queits down a good bit..just change the oil 5-6 times in the next month..or dependign on how often u ride ...

lumi
01-01-2007, 03:16 PM
its a hi comp and short skirt piston.... its more than normal..... put a 14:1 and a cam in there and than come back to us....

also u will hear a flogging noise almost like a trubo or a bolt is loose... this will be the fcr carb.. no worries

dont hold any gas during cranking the engine but im sure u know this already.. and no more than 5 seconds of cranking at a time... give a 5 second break each time.

-lumi

Dragginbody
01-02-2007, 04:54 AM
i am not having any starting problems. starts right up right away.

everyone says the engine noise is normal so i will just live with it.

i am going to get that 4 year extended warranty today.

i do want that hrc kit that everyone is talking about.

how hard is it to install?

iamjasyn
01-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Dragginbody
i am not having any starting problems. starts right up right away.

everyone says the engine noise is normal so i will just live with it.

i am going to get that 4 year extended warranty today.

i do want that hrc kit that everyone is talking about.

how hard is it to install?

I was talking with an engine builder recently who said his customer had to pay him over $900 to fix the starter after an install of the HRC cam didn't go correctly and somehow the compression relief system wasn't kicking on. So, be careful if you have the "ER".

lumi
01-04-2007, 06:30 PM
a whole new starter system costs about 200 bucks... for all new gears and clutches....

ur engine builder is wrong cuz the R has the same "compression relief system" and there really no way to put it back in wrong unless u break the thing cuz it has a small nipple which gets lined up with the cam.....

900$ is a rip off..

-lumi

ShiftFMX
01-04-2007, 09:31 PM
Sh*t, Mines an '04 and sometimes when I'm in low rpms it still knocks...I was worried about this when I first got the 450...but now I know that Im just not going fast enough :p

iamjasyn
01-05-2007, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by lumi
a whole new starter system costs about 200 bucks... for all new gears and clutches....

ur engine builder is wrong cuz the R has the same "compression relief system" and there really no way to put it back in wrong unless u break the thing cuz it has a small nipple which gets lined up with the cam.....

900$ is a rip off..

-lumi

Yea, I don't know anything about that crazy engine other than basic 4stroke knowledge. Was just trying to help the guy out. I guess don't break your nipple homie...