PDA

View Full Version : Grease for Linkage/Swingarm?

EDDYL250R
12-31-2006, 09:56 AM
Hello All,

Currently I am in the process of a complete frame up rebuild of my 88 TRX250R. I am about to start the re-assembly of the quad and am not sure what grease to use to rebuild the swingarm and rear linkage with. I am rebuilding the stock units with pivotworks bearings/seal kits.

I want to know what you guys use when you did this rebuild. Basically I need to know which is best to use for assembling/packing as well as what compatible grease to use with the grease gun for future periodic lubing?

I have on hand the following: (in tubs)
a) Sta-Lube Extreme Pressure Sta-Plex Premium Red Grease
b) Sta-Lube Hi-Temp Disc Brake Bearing Grease
c) Bel Ray Waterproof Grease
d) Pyrol White Lithium Grease (Arosol Can)

What should I use (from above or other) ?

Your timely help is greatly appricated

Cheers

EddyL.

P.S. I will post a thread with what I am doing on the rebuild (with photo's) later in the week when I begin the build for those who are interested. I still have alot of stuff to degrease and clean first :ermm:

trailwart
12-31-2006, 10:26 AM
i have always used blue waterproof marine grease, just what i have and it holds up well for me

CorvetteZ06
12-31-2006, 10:50 AM
i have always used valvoline grease from the tubes, in all my vehicles, and have never had a problem. im sure all the name brands are a good product. Goodluck on your build! :D

deathman53
12-31-2006, 01:37 PM
I use anti-seize on the pivot bolt and lithuim grease on the all bearings. I use anti-seize on the likege bolts also. Most any bolt that passes though alumimuim ,bearing collars and such, I use anti-seize.

iamjasyn
12-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by EDDYL250R
Hello All,

Currently I am in the process of a complete frame up rebuild of my 88 TRX250R. I am about to start the re-assembly of the quad and am not sure what grease to use to rebuild the swingarm and rear linkage with. I am rebuilding the stock units with pivotworks bearings/seal kits.

I want to know what you guys use when you did this rebuild. Basically I need to know which is best to use for assembling/packing as well as what compatible grease to use with the grease gun for future periodic lubing?

I have on hand the following: (in tubs)
a) Sta-Lube Extreme Pressure Sta-Plex Premium Red Grease
b) Sta-Lube Hi-Temp Disc Brake Bearing Grease
c) Bel Ray Waterproof Grease
d) Pyrol White Lithium Grease (Arosol Can)

What should I use (from above or other) ?

Your timely help is greatly appricated

Cheers

EddyL.

P.S. I will post a thread with what I am doing on the rebuild (with photo's) later in the week when I begin the build for those who are interested. I still have alot of stuff to degrease and clean first :ermm:

Honda calls for a MolyB fortified high pressure grease for those linkage collars. If you buy a Moly grease it's like a dark grey color and often comes in a grease gun tube. "a)" is probably your best choice. It's probably a newer, synthetic version of MB grease. You want to use it on your rear shock's upper pivot collar too. In the whole quad, I think those are the only places that grease is recommended.

Those collars by the way... I don't know how the rest of you grease em, but if they are short on grease, the collars come in contact and get raised areas on the surfaces. In that case I sand the high spots down with some 200 then 600 grit wet/dry, or something to keep it from getting worse. The way I grease em is a hand coating on install. Bolt eveything together to torque values. Then to avoid spots the grease has trouble getting into, before putting the quad on the ground, I grease the zerks till something squeezes out. May not be necessary, but makes me feel better.

THEN I go ride the piss out of it!