PDA

View Full Version : Making a frame?

1fst400
12-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Is there any plans out there to make a replica LSR or Laeger frame crf frame.
I want to make on for fun some time, but there are very critical angles and mouting points that arent so easy to figure out.

gbcap
12-30-2006, 10:48 PM
i would try to find a trashed frame off someone so you could try to replicate it...it would be fun to try...

12-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Emm... Since the last time I checked I never even heard of no such thing!
But yeah I would buy a trasher LSR chassis and copy it.

Hope you have a few years of experience.

vet_ltz
12-31-2006, 06:37 AM
If you have the facility, equipment, time and experience to take on such a project,I think it could be fun.
The first thing I would do is look for a pattern.
The second thing I would do is , ask the folks on here for close up pics of different parts of thier quads. just for Ideas.
Why copy just one frame ,when you can incorperate the best features of all aftermarket frames?

outacontrol and I have parked our quads side by side and compared them, outacontrol has a Leager Crf with 250r geometry and I have a PRP CRF with 250r geometry.
Although both quads have the same geometry, there are lot of of differences.

If you incorperate all the best features,from all frames, and do it right. I think you would have one SWEET ride.

Thats just my opinion though,

matt250r21
12-31-2006, 12:40 PM
A freind of mine built 2 frames out of chromoly, one was for a CRF motor and the other was for a YZ 450 motor. He used both my Walsh 250R frame and my Laegers 250R frame for measurements and ideas. It took him a while but they both came out really nice. I can tell you it is a lot harder than you think it is to build one.

1fst400
12-31-2006, 02:41 PM
I realize hoe much work it is. Thats kinda why I was looking for plans to go by. I dont know anyone with an aftermarket frame to copy. So Im kinda bummin on that idear.

Aceman
01-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Building an aftermarket frame is a big investment. For instance a bender is roughly $300 plus $150-200? for EACH die set. Then you need tubing notchers, welder, measuring devices, etc. I could see spending $2000+ just tooling up for the job depending on how fancy you get. Plus the cost of wasted steel from misbends, cut wrong, etc. I would love to build some frames myself one day but damn it costs a lot to start!!

1fst400
01-02-2007, 05:29 AM
I have access to moast of that stuff.

At the shop that I work at we have a synchro wave 250 welder that can weld just about anything you could dream up.

my uncle has a little hydro bender that he used to make a motorcycle frame.

Aceman
01-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Sounds like your almost all set. You might have to buy a good used frame and use it for measurements, then sell it when you're finished.