PDA

View Full Version : clutching in air

03400EX_Nacs
12-30-2006, 09:54 PM
so i've been riding a long time... racing for a couple years now and at a lot of the nationals i'll see pros using the clutch excessively over a lot of jumps. now me, i usually hit a jump right the first time and remember how to hit it so i dont really need the brake in the air a lot. if i do i always use the front. does the rear help more? and do you pull the clutch in a lot in the air?

CannondaleRider
12-31-2006, 05:05 PM
Hitting the rear brakes in the air apposed to the front is a HUGE difference in the way it pitches the nose down....The front brakes hardly effect the quad, the back brakes you actually have to be careful with.

Not sure what your point is on the clutch, but, you have to pull it in when jabbing your brakes for aerial control, or you'll kill the motor.

03400EX_Nacs
12-31-2006, 05:56 PM
i was wanting to know a lot of different things. it all just kinda came out jumbled up. how many riders use the rear a lot? do i need to start working on my clutching in the air?

SidewaysSam
12-31-2006, 08:49 PM
I use this technique quite a bit over bigger jumps. From what I can tell, only a handful of quad guys do it at our arena tracks around here, but on a big track it is used more often. Practice it going over a table top or easy jump that you are used to, just to get the feel of it. It is actually fun to do when you get the hang of it.

03400EX_Nacs
01-01-2007, 12:14 PM
yeah that's what i was thinking.. i have done it before over a lot of jumps.n i just don't feel like i have enough time. i was hitting a 40 footer out of a corner the other day to throw me nose high intentionally so i could work on my brakes and it just seemed i didn't have enough time to throw on the brakes and tap the gas before i land

05Z400rdr
01-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by 03400EX_Nacs
yeah that's what i was thinking.. i have done it before over a lot of jumps.n i just don't feel like i have enough time. i was hitting a 40 footer out of a corner the other day to throw me nose high intentionally so i could work on my brakes and it just seemed i didn't have enough time to throw on the brakes and tap the gas before i land

same problem here...i was practicing on a 40' double too and also trying to throw my front end up in the air on purpose to practice my breaking but i too doesnt seem like there is enough time in the air...?

moto50
01-03-2007, 10:01 AM
if you hit the jump with higher rpm's on the gas then the front end will want to loop out. if you hit the jump off of the gas the front end will want to dive.
The pitch of the jump determines how much throttle you need. and sometimes you can hit the jump in a higher or lower gear to help level out your quad.

Hitting the front brakes stops the rotation of your front wheels and you lose some momentum when you land to get the wheels rolling again. When you use the rear brakes you can let out on the clutch again and get the wheels spinning before you land to keep your momentum going.

03400EX_Nacs
01-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by moto50
if you hit the jump with higher rpm's on the gas then the front end will want to loop out. if you hit the jump off of the gas the front end will want to dive.
The pitch of the jump determines how much throttle you need. and sometimes you can hit the jump in a higher or lower gear to help level out your quad.

Hitting the front brakes stops the rotation of your front wheels and you lose some momentum when you land to get the wheels rolling again. When you use the rear brakes you can let out on the clutch again and get the wheels spinning before you land to keep your momentum going.
the second part of that is useful but like i said earlier i have been racing for a couple of years... i know the basics... and the concept... i kinda wanted to know how many of you actually use it and well..

moto50
01-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Yea the first part was for some of the other questions not just yours.

05Z400rdr
01-06-2007, 05:23 PM
ive been practicing a lot more and i still cant get it down. when i do get it, it doesnt feel like the front end is going down at all hitting the rear brakes and it feels like i dont have enough time to get the wheels moving again before i land after applying the brakes...any other suggestions?

03400EX_Nacs
01-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by 05Z400rdr
ive been practicing a lot more and i still cant get it down. when i do get it, it doesnt feel like the front end is going down at all hitting the rear brakes and it feels like i dont have enough time to get the wheels moving again before i land after applying the brakes...any other suggestions?
hey, i'm going to have to agree with you there... i am in the process of redoing my quad so i can't test it but what i guessing the deal is, is a number of things.
1. if you're hitting a small jump, i don't think there is enough momentum in the rear tires to really effect it that much.
2. to make it work on a smaller jump we're going to have to add more body english to it, but when we do, it's going to show a major effect.

that's the two main things i bet it is... i haven't tested it though

300ex mxracer
01-10-2007, 03:24 PM
it kinda hurts if you forget to pull in the clutch while stomping on the rear brake and it shuts off and it restarts when you are landing. i know from experience...:rolleyes: once i got it down, i use it quite often and it works well, especially on larger jumps with more speed.

LTR450_#67
01-11-2007, 11:45 AM
I know sometimes if I need to, I push the bars down using some body english like 03400EX_Nacs said without even breaking in the air. Its just one of those things you need to practice a lot to get used to. "Practice makes perfect"

later
Aaron

Fast350ex
01-18-2007, 09:17 PM
The rebound setting on your shocks has alot to do with having the front end pop up when hitting a jump. If the rebound is set (too fast), it will spring the front end up.

moto50
01-19-2007, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Fast350ex
The rebound setting on your shocks has alot to do with having the front end pop up when hitting a jump. If the rebound is set (too fast), it will spring the front end up.

If the rebound is too fast it will spring the back end up and the front end down.

LTR450_#67
01-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Moto50 - I'm guessing that you're talking about the rear shock.
Fast350ex - I'm guessing that your're referring to the fronts.

You guys are both right but be a lil more specific about what you are pointing out...like "fronts" or "rear".

later
Aaron

Fast350ex
01-23-2007, 01:51 AM
YES, I am talking about the fronts.

Trx250rider86
01-23-2007, 07:05 AM
ive seen people on dirt bikes hit the back break to drop the front. and was just out for a ride one day and needed to drop the front a bit and naturally it came to me. didnt take long at all to get it down, just dont hesitate, and make sure that clutch is in, or your landing will suck