PDA

View Full Version : Pro Racer Reality Check

BigMike
12-30-2006, 06:32 AM
I had the opportunity to ride with Jeremy Lawson and the legend Rodney Gentry on Thursday of this week in Ocala, Florida. It was a real eye opening experience. After being on the track for about 30 seconds I realized that I had no business being on the same track as these guys. I did get some good pointers however.

Lesson #1 - Never let off. Regardless of how knarly the face of a jump looks or how huge the drop off is on the step-down, keep it pinned.

Lesson #2 - Chicks dig the fast guys. I was pitted next to these guys and there were swarms of hot chicks standing around, taking pictures, etc.

Lesson #3 - When in doubt, air it out - There were several jumps on this track that nobody thought the quad guys should even consider hitting. One jump in particular has about a 100' jump trajectory and is a huge step up. No problem. Just hold it WFO and see what happens.

I was impressed to put it lightly. Gentry passed me one time in this nasty whopped out section of the track and it looked like his quad was literally hovering over the nastiness while I was taking the beating of a lifetime. Good stuff.

Mike

Pappy
12-30-2006, 06:38 AM
I would have to agree with ya:p The biggest difference between a Pro and schmo is the Pro riders seem to have confidence and no fear. They tell me its smoother on the downside and in the woods its smoother on top of the ruff stuff, but i will be damned if I can do it:p

SRH
12-30-2006, 09:02 AM
attack everywhere, pick good line, and be confident and you gain speed very fast

STEVENJANNA
01-03-2007, 06:14 PM
It's especially humbling when you try and chase them around the track. I have no problem staying behind a pro rider for 1 or 2 laps than I need to go back to my trailer calm down and take a nap. I was caught in a Spader/ Lysinger sandwich once and it was fun for 1/2 a lap until Donny decided he didn't want to be behind me anymore. He block passed me in a turn and I was so nervous I high sided the berm. I've been lucky enough to become friendly with Travis and Donny and it's a real joy to be on the same track as them.

440racer66
01-03-2007, 06:37 PM
i ride with santo derisi on a mx track he is crazy fast on mx i thought i was gonna wax him but he is quick but theres a local pro here justin norman he is really fast i think he will make it but he has been taking me riding and helping i have came from being lapped to hanging with hime in one year