PDA

View Full Version : spark plug-special tool?

kcliff
12-29-2006, 07:44 PM
I have looked at a couple of threads and read about having to have a special tool to remove the spark plug. Is this true? I need to check my plug I have had trouble starting my quad and before I rip the carb open I want to check my plug. I will save the carb rejetting when I get my pipe. thanks

scruff_mcruff
12-29-2006, 07:58 PM
i just took a 18mm socket and grounded a little off the entire outer body. it was tight before but fits perfect now.

JOEX
12-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by kcliff
I have looked at a couple of threads and read about having to have a special tool to remove the spark plug. Is this true? I need to check my plug I have had trouble starting my quad and before I rip the carb open I want to check my plug. I will save the carb rejetting when I get my pipe. thanks
It depends on the socket. I use a Craftsman 18mm deep well from a kit I got about 20 years ago and it works great, others have needed to grind the sides of a socket to fit. I've heard the one from the stock tool kit works great and it should:p

I've been wondering.... if you go to the local lawn and garden center or Home Depot type store, check out the parts and accessories aisle. They have stock style wrenches, maybe one fits the 400ex plug?

You shouldn't have to rejet unless the intake and/or exhaust flow has changed or the has been a dramatic change in elevation or temperature.

hornetgod13
12-29-2006, 09:38 PM
The 400EX has a tool kit with a spark plug tool in it. If your quad is new, you are the original owner, or the past owner hasn't already removed it. check the tool container near the rear grab bar on the quad and see if you still have it.

hornetgod13
12-30-2006, 03:43 AM
This is just what you're looking for if your original tool kit is lost or misplaced. There's a guy on this website selling the tool kit for the 400EX

Here's the link to the tool kit for sale:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=273341

kcliff
12-30-2006, 04:20 PM
thanks for the replies. I will look into that one tool set for sale. Yea I got my 400ex used. no tool box and the guy took the rear light off and just sniped the wires :grr: i have been thinking about looking for a new wire harness and light to replace the brake lights. I am not obsessed with keeping the weight down on my quad if I want to race I will get a crf450r lol yea right

killerofcrows48
12-30-2006, 04:43 PM
You can just buy the tool at a local honda shop, thats what I did and it was only like 3-4 bucks

JDMThoughts
12-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by killerofcrows48
You can just buy the tool at a local honda shop, thats what I did and it was only like 3-4 bucks

Wow I bought the tool 4 days ago for 20 dollars. I guess I got ripped off.

Ruby Soho
12-31-2006, 06:17 AM
we had a chainsaw spark plug wrench, grinded off the handle and stuck it in a long socket. its long enough too

works great:D

ZSNOW
12-31-2006, 07:28 AM
my dad has a weird wrench from some tools he got when he bought a 68 mustang 390 it wasa peice of crap car then we fixed it but we never figured out what the tool was for i tryed it on my spark plug on my z400 and it worked awsome.its like and open end wrench but its tapered on one side so it fits down into a reseced nut awsome