PDA

View Full Version : best all round atv

jr4jc
12-29-2006, 03:47 PM
ok ok it may be a stupid question but the wife and i own a bombardier traxtor max that we love. but both agree that we would like to get 2 sport atv's to have FUN with.
i have had a couple of people steer me towards the 400ex
what is your opinions???? [maybe stupid to ask here but...[
and what should i look for or lookout for in a used one.
and anybody know of a good one or two for sale:>???

Ruby Soho
12-29-2006, 04:04 PM
I think the 400ex would be a great quad for you and your wife. It has good power, and can be turned into a monster if modified. Its a great trail quad too, but can be made into anything you want. They make just about everything for them.

When looking at a used one, just like any ATV, look for cracks/rust in the frame, inspect it, and most importantly ride it.

hornetgod13
12-29-2006, 04:46 PM
You are most likely going to get pretty lopsided answers asking in the forum but, I'm happy with mine. It's not so big that a beginner will be intimidated and not small enough to outgrow. It's an excellent trail quad and holds it's againt racing quads of similar size.
If you buy a used one ensure you test ride it. Check the brakes, engine, oil, tires, air filter, and suspension.

†2005 400ex†
12-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
You are most likely going to get pretty lopsided answers asking in the forum but, I'm happy with mine. It's not so big that a beginner will be intimidated and not small enough to outgrow. It's an excellent trail quad and holds it's againt racing quads of similar size.
If you buy a used one ensure you test ride it. Check the brakes, engine, oil, tires, air filter, and suspension.

Exactly, if you check and make sure that it has proper oil levels and the filter is well moaintained + no visible major damage to the frame or anything then you fine. U sually if a person doesnt do simple maintinance to a quad, that usually also means that the quad has been abused and probably isnt gonna be fun to ride, because it will be broken all the time :blah:

Ruby Soho
12-30-2006, 07:54 AM
One more thing, whatever year they say it is, make sure it is by looking at the sticker on the frame up front by the shocks

jr4jc
12-30-2006, 08:08 AM
thanks for the replies, i neglected to say we are planning to keep the bombardier and i knew asking here would be lopsided, BUT the second person to recommend the 400ex raved about the bullet proof tech. ofthe machine old school but proven and solid, i guess you all would agree!?!??

Ruby Soho
12-30-2006, 08:11 AM
yes, i think everyone here would agree with that statement;)

jr4jc
12-30-2006, 08:37 AM
are there better years to go for or bad years to stay away from or all about the same????

Blue600
12-30-2006, 08:51 AM
If you want reverse you will want a 2005 or newer.

northwest Texas
12-30-2006, 12:48 PM
You're not going to go wrong with a 400EX. Solid, bulletproof engines that keep begging for more. Fill up with gas and change the oil is about all they require. They're also a dime a dozen, don't expect to pay more than $30000 or less than $2500. I'd love to think mine is worth more but honestly it's not. It's worth more to me than anyone else. That amount is also about the low point it will drop in value to. There's really no differences in them from model years until 05 when they gained reverse, handy but not a necessity.

Also consider the Suzuki Z400 or it's clones the Kawasaki KFX400 and Arctic Cat DVX400. They're solid too and have possibly a little more potential in performance but they're really close. I know, I ride both. They handle remarkably similarly too so you could do one of each. Prices are a little higher for them but again the same philosophy holds with resale, or at least that's my opinion.

krt400ex
12-31-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by jr4jc
thanks for the replies, i neglected to say we are planning to keep the bombardier and i knew asking here would be lopsided, BUT the second person to recommend the 400ex raved about the bullet proof tech. ofthe machine old school but proven and solid, i guess you all would agree!?!??

yes those engines r rock solid....

i can't tell u how many times i have just held her wide open and let her scream(more times that i can count)...bangin it off the rev limiter....no glitches...it just keeps on puuuurrrring

jrafter
12-31-2006, 05:18 PM
my 400ex is the first quad ive own........i will never out grow it .....im to old.

its a great quad lots of power.....i take it thought all most any thing rock gardens mud holes you name it.

it gets hung up in the mud and rocks but its light enough that i can drag it off of or out of most anything......i would take it anywhere a 4+4 would go......as long as they have a whench...LOL.

i got stuck in a big hole friday and i stuck it in second gear got off and pull it out.......and it didnt run me over...lol

and ive seen some used one that looked like brand new so getting used shouldnt be a problem.......or this is a great time of year to get an 06 now that its 07.....i got mine for $4200 otd its and 05 got it march of 06