PDA

View Full Version : a-arm safety recall

RayWilt
12-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Just happen to be on hondas dealer sight and saw they have a recall on some of the 06 450s. Saying that the ball joints wear out fast and can seperate. Ill try and get the notice up on here on my lunch break

RayWilt
12-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Motorcycle Division

December 22, 2006

STOP SALE NOTICE

SAFETY RECALL
2006 TRX450ER/TRX450R A-arm Replacement Recall

VIN Range: JH2TE320*66K000019 to JH2TE320*26K010997 (TRX450ER)
JH2TE324*66K000007 to JH2TE324*16K000111 (TRX450R)

*: Denotes check digit

Dear Honda ATV Dealer:

American Honda is conducting a voluntary SAFETY RECALL on certain 2006 TRX450R and TRX450ER ATVs within the VIN range listed above. A safety defect may exist in the steering system of these units. The four front suspension arm ball joints could have been contaminated during the production process, resulting in rapid wear of one or more of the ball joints and possible ball joint separation. If ball joint separation occurs while riding, the TRX could lose steering control and may crash.

Effective immediately, YOU MUST NOT SELL any affected units in your inventory until the required repairs have been completed. Please make sure ALL DEPARTMENTS in your dealership, Parts, Sales and Service, are made aware of this action. Any sale of an affected ATV after receiving this notice and prior to the required repair is a violation of Federal law.

DEALERSHIP INVENTORY:
The instructions and procedures to repair affected TRX models will soon be available on iN. A copy of the Service Bulletin will be mailed to your dealership thereafter. Parts required to perform repairs on affected units in your inventory will be available early in the coming New Year and will be automatically shipped to you based on AHM records. Flooring credit will be applied for the time period covering from this notice until parts to complete the repairs have arrived.

CUSTOMER UNITS:
American Honda will mail a notice of this Recall to owners of all affected ATVs in January 2007. In the meantime, please tell any owner of an affected TRX450R/ER you encounter about this Safety Recall. Advise them that American Honda recommends they not ride their TRX450R/ER until after repairs are completed. If the customer insists on continued riding, they should perform this described inspection prior to every ride.

Ball Joint Freeplay Inspection: (Customer units only)

Park the TRX on a flat, hard surface such as a driveway or hard packed dirt surface. Turn the handlebars until the front wheels are aimed straight ahead. With the handlebars centered, grab the tire with both hands as shown. Push and pull the top of the tire while feeling for any looseness, listening for a clinking/knocking noise, and observing the upper and lower ball joint housing for up and down movement. Repeat this procedure on the opposite side front tire. If you perceive any looseness, hear noise, or observe movement of the ball joint housing, the ball joint has excessive freeplay and must be replaced before the TRX is ridden.

If you or your customers do not feel qualified to inspect these ball joints, do not operate the vehicle until it has been repaired. If you or the customers feel any excessive steering looseness while riding, stop immediately and do not operate the vehicle further until it has been repaired.

If you have recently sold any affected TRX450R or TRX450ER models, please submit the warranty registration information. If you have any further questions, please contact either American Honda’s TechLine or your District Service Manager.

Thank you for your cooperation.
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Robert E. Clever
Senior Manager – Service
Motorcycle Division

Dealer Bulletin Page Pages File behind Dealer Guide Bulletin Tab
06-731 1 of 2 SERVICE

Coolidge
12-31-2006, 05:39 AM
Wow....Thanks for that. If I remember correct, last time I checked, I had a little play in mine. Better go scheck my Vin #....
Again, Thanks
~Guy

smarty_HondaUK
01-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Could you give me the website you found that on??

superfly300ex
01-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Revised: January 2, 2007 to correct VIN check digit:

VIN Range: JH2TE320*6K000019 to JH2TE320*6K010997 (TRX450ER)
JH2TE324*6K000007 to JH2TE324*6K000111 (TRX450R)

*: Denotes check digit

quad2xtreme
01-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Awesome news!!!

I will have a brand new set of a-arms for sale when my new Houser LT a-arms arrive.

/Jon

FBRacing76
01-06-2007, 05:41 PM
I recieved a letter from honda today about the re-call. I havent even had the bike for a month yet.

beany
01-07-2007, 03:19 PM
My letter came the other day also. I havent even brought it in for the last one yet, maybe I'll wait for another recall and see whats next.

lumi
01-08-2007, 12:07 PM
i got mine aswell i wonder why they didnt honda put the vin range effected on the recall notice? and why the bullentin for the dealers got one?'

-lumi

Coolidge
01-09-2007, 11:35 AM
...got my letter in the mail yesterday. Guess we will have to wait for a BIG shipment of replacement A-Arms to come in :confused:
Oh well, guess I will finall get THE OTHER recall taken care of then (unless there is ANOTHER recall before then!) :ermm:

psd4mike
01-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Got my letter in the mail yesterday too. I wish they would just give me the arms and charge me a core. I don't want the hacks working on my girl.

lumi
01-11-2007, 05:17 PM
^^^

i called honda of america and i told them my quad is in europe, could u give me the parts and i wll return the original a-arms and they saidf they will call be back and i have to sign a dislcaminer if i do that... so far 2 days and no call back i will call them monday agian if nothing.... but im gonna install those *****es my self most likely... plus my quad is in europe for another month or two :( but how about if someone rides it and gets hurt sue those *******s.... i think they have to give them to u if u ask but have to sign papers. and return the old parts

-lumi

Civicssuck
01-18-2007, 04:46 AM
I went down because my a-arm bearings were shot. All of the top four were junk. That's when I found out about the ball joints, but surprisingly my quad isn't in that recall!

I say that since I have had my engine case replaced, due to leaking out of the oil check glass. My front brake line was cut in half, due to the bracket by the bars. And now the top, soon to be the bottom, a-arm bearings!

It's a love/hate relation with this quad. But at least it's all covered by them. :o

MX MaNiAc 06
01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Can u take ur quad to any Honda dealer to get the new a-arms?

GIXXER1KR
01-28-2007, 08:32 PM
My VIN falls under the recall but i have aftermarket A arms.Wonder if i can just bring them in.

lumi
01-28-2007, 08:55 PM
according to honda the kits arent out yet and as soon as there out they will send another letter out for when u can bring them in.

-lumi

quad2xtreme
01-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by GIXXER1KR
My VIN falls under the recall but i have aftermarket A arms.Wonder if i can just bring them in.

Case-by-case scenario. The dealer I go won't do it that way but I think somebody mentioned earlier that his dealer handled it that way.

Of course my dealer also says Honda hasn't delivered a single a-arm replacement to them yet for this recall.

I am sitting on brand new Houser a-arms and Stadium Suspension LT shocks right now...I can't put them on until I get the factory ones replaced. Of course it doesn't matter much, I just got my quad washed up yesterday due to the accident I had 2 weeks ago. It will be at least another month before I am on a track again.

/Jon

01-29-2007, 08:34 AM
my dealer said for now it is case by case, but he also said that when he can get the a-arms, mine would be changed even if not bad...

quad2xtreme
01-29-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
my dealer said for now it is case by case, but he also said that when he can get the a-arms, mine would be changed even if not bad...

From a liability standpoint, I am guessing the dealers will not want to be the "decision" maker on this. If an accident does occur relating to the a-arms, they will find themselves in the middle of a lawsuit. If I fall under the recall and my balljoints seem tight now, who says they will be in 2 rides?

/Jon

01-30-2007, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
From a liability standpoint, I am guessing the dealers will not want to be the "decision" maker on this. If an accident does occr relating to the a-arms, they will find themselves in the middle of a lawsuit. If I fall under the recall and my balljoints seem tight now, who says they will in 2 rides?

/Jon
that is why he will replace them even if they are fine

gncc400exxx
01-30-2007, 02:48 PM
called my dealer today he said they are looking at early to mid-march before parts are available. :mad:

quadking224
02-04-2007, 07:26 AM
yo that sux man....I hope that this doesnt happen too much!!...a-arms breakin..damn..

gncc400exxx
02-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by gncc400exxx
called my dealer today he said they are looking at early to mid-march before parts are available. :mad:

Good thing I called my dealer. I told him i had some races coming up, and I do. Got a call today that they got 1 set in and since I had called to find out and that i needed them soon. He put me at the top of the list. Going in monday. For my new arms.

To bad my shocks are at GTT, now i gotta find something to throw on there so i can get it over there.

quad2xtreme
02-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Just got a call that my a-arms are in and I just need to bring my quad in. :D

lumi
02-14-2007, 08:03 PM
thats cool any of you guys got the second letters?

-lumi

quad2xtreme
02-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Just got a call that my a-arms are in and I just need to bring my quad in. :D

Picked my quad up today. I can finally take the new replacement a-arms off this weekend and put on my new Houser LT +2 and new Stadium quad rate shocks. Can't wait. I put a +4 RPM axle on last weekend.

Just gotta call Colby back to order my number plates. Dan says I will be ready for the night races...but he is wrong...only my quad will be ready. lol.

oldracer
02-18-2007, 07:26 AM
stopped by my dealer.(since i haven't recieved the second letter)
asked if i could put the a-arms on my self.they handed me the replacment kit. and asked me to bring in my old ones. most dealers got the kits on 2/7/07.

tolson
02-25-2007, 07:30 AM
my dealer when out of business. i've tried other dealers and they say they just have replacements for the quads they sold, none for me. i will have to wait a long time before any dealer around here will talk to me. they are going to take care of their customers, understandable, before me. WHAT IS UP WITH HONDA. DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED, HAHAHAHA, WITH THE STARTING PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

02-26-2007, 07:23 AM
i got my second letter last saturday and got my new arms on friday...

TRX450R2
03-29-2007, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by tolson
my dealer when out of business. i've tried other dealers and they say they just have replacements for the quads they sold, none for me. i will have to wait a long time before any dealer around here will talk to me. they are going to take care of their customers, understandable, before me. WHAT IS UP WITH HONDA. DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED, HAHAHAHA, WITH THE STARTING PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:
Have you got them yet?

pats2007450er
04-27-2007, 12:02 AM
what about an 2007450er.i got it in july of 2006.

quad2xtreme
04-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by TRX450R2
Have you got them yet?

Call Honda customer service and let them know where you want the replacements sent...trust me, they want you to have them installed ASAP.

/jon

pats2007450er
04-27-2007, 11:31 PM
do i need to take every thing aftermarket off my bike before i take it up there.thanks

quad2xtreme
04-28-2007, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by pats2007450er
do i need to take every thing aftermarket off my bike before i take it up there.thanks

The recall is only for the very early 2006 450er model.

They aren't going to give you a set of new a-arms if you have aftermarket a-arms on there. Other than that, it won't matter.

/Jon

Coolidge
05-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Got my A-arms & throttle arm done last week. While bike was in shop, I had valves adjusted and the 'power-up' HRC cam finally installed. One word....WoW!
Oh yeah, props to my dealer. They took good care of me. They must have gotten rid of the old service mgr. :blah:

IMSROLL450R
06-03-2007, 07:02 PM
can you really just call and get them sent to you????? I really want to just do that.

CEOR
06-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Heres another consideration..........
I cut all four ball joints off the a-arms. This leaves you a hollow hole in the end of the arm. I installed heim joints. You can purchase spindle king pins from armstrongmfg. This conversion allows you to have camber adjustment. Now, drill new hole in wheel, (opposite) of original valve stem. Plug original valve stem hole, and install new valve stem in new hole. Remount tires, and flip wheels around. You just increased front width by around 4". Re-adjust camber and toe-in.
Install steering dampner. You can also install 1"-2" rear wheel spacers to match the front width increase.
The added width and smooth action of replaceable heims, allows for a great ride and appearance.

GIXXER1KR
07-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Just got my fully set up race bike from the dealer.They did the starter clutch recal.Replacing everything in the starter clutch and gears.Thumb throttle recall and i handed my old a arms to them that were in the attic and they gave me a big box with brand new arms,bolts,nuts and even the cotter pins and i didnt even get the bike at this dealer!!!!:D Guess where ill be going!!!;) And no questions aked.Its obviuos i race!!!LOL

Turboderf
09-10-2007, 07:42 PM
i had my a-arms done on 4/07 and already have play in the upper bushings only 4 months old and now they dont want to fix them ~~~HONDA WARRANTY SUCKS~~~:( :( :(

NOS_350x
09-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Getting mine done right now. All 3 recalls. Bike is in there lowered with hoosiers, Pipe airbox eliminator and Dyna on it set up for flattrack . They didnt care they have to replace the a-arms.