PDA

View Full Version : Quad on Fire

slick7108514
12-29-2006, 01:52 AM
So I just finished installing my stage 1 hotcam and I was putting the tappet covers back on and i snapped one of the covers. well anyways i figured i could just super glue it back together and finger tighten the tappet back on....bad idea. anyways im in the middle of breaking in the new cam and while its just sitting in my garage running i see a large oil leak which starts to hit my header pipe which eventually ignites a pretty large fire. i turn the bike off then notice that the tappet cover has fallen off and the glue has completely melted off. now i gotta go to the dealer and deal with the morons there and see if they have any tappet covers which i highly doubt they will. i guess if i cant find a new one im gonna try jb welding the tappet back together, because jb weld is rated up to 500 degrees so ill see if that works....crossing my fingers. just when i thought i was gonna get to ride my bike after the cam install this has to happen to me, just my luck!

hornetgod13
12-29-2006, 05:57 AM
I'm glad the fire didn't ruin the quad or get you hurt. That situation could have been much worse.
If you can afford to wait a few days just order online.

www.servicehonda.com

Item: CAP, TAPT ADJ HOLE
Part Number: 12361-KK0-000
Price: $11.92

I highly recommend replacing the O-ring.

Item: O-RING 35.5x3
Part Number: 91301-428-003
Price: $1.24

Eviltanker
12-29-2006, 06:07 AM
Just go by the cover. I snapped one also and I couldn't find an adhesive to hold it. JB Weld actually held the longest but eventually the vibration made it fall apart.

slick7108514
12-30-2006, 01:04 AM
yah i went down to the dealer and as expected the guy helping me had no clue what a tappet cover was, but i found it in a book and showed it to him and they had it luckily. now i snapped a bolt in the cam chain tensioner and its stuck in the motor forever and oil was leaking from it so i just jb welded it to the motor. ill find out tomorow after the jb weld has cured if it stopped the leak, if not im screwed.