PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good lap top?

Punk'd
12-29-2006, 12:11 AM
Sure looks like it.. Ill be taking it to college, but I will also be watching movies, playing games.. etc

So I deffinetly dont want anything slow.

This one seems to be nice and it isnt to bad of a price at $749

What do you all think? If you suggest anything else let me know.

Thanks

Specs (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8045162&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat103700050014&id=1158317339111)

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8045/8045162_ra.jpg

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8045/8045162cv1a.jpg

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8045/8045162le.jpg

Ron89
12-29-2006, 12:34 AM
Check www.newegg.com that is THE PLACE for computer stuff. My friend bought a lap top with 1 gb ram dual core processor and all this other stuff for like $900 and that was over a year ago. Their prices are hard to beat.

RidinRed420
12-29-2006, 07:39 AM
I don't know a whole lot about computers, but what are you going to school for? I think that makes a difference in what kind of lap top you need. My boyfriends in construction management, and they require him to put all sorts of programs on his computer, so he really needs a fast computer with lots of storage. I, on the other hand, am going to school for teaching, and I basically use the computer to write papers and fool around on the internet, so I didn't need a top of the line computer. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see Office 2003 on the specs. If you are planning on using it for school you should really have it, because no matter what your major is, you will use Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook, etc.

My boyfriends dad just bought me a new lap top for christmas. Its a dell 1505. Its sweet. Its the nicest computer I've ever owned. My previous 2 computers were HPs. The one I just had was a laptop, and it did what I needed it to - write papers and connect to the internet, but it was pretty slow. I'd still be using it, but it broke. There was a little prong, where you plug it in to charge it, and it broke off. I took it in and they told me it would cost 500$'s to fix it.. Not worth it for an almost 3 year old computer, that cost less than 1000 to begin with.

I'd say shop around, if that one fits your needs than go for it. Its a good price, but if it doesn't include Office, that will hike the price up, at least a couple hundred. XP professional and Office were the 2 things that cost the most on my computer.

Punk'd
12-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by RidinRed420
I don't know a whole lot about computers, but what are you going to school for? I think that makes a difference in what kind of lap top you need. My boyfriends in construction management, and they require him to put all sorts of programs on his computer, so he really needs a fast computer with lots of storage. I, on the other hand, am going to school for teaching, and I basically use the computer to write papers and fool around on the internet, so I didn't need a top of the line computer. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see Office 2003 on the specs. If you are planning on using it for school you should really have it, because no matter what your major is, you will use Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook, etc.

My boyfriends dad just bought me a new lap top for christmas. Its a dell 1505. Its sweet. Its the nicest computer I've ever owned. My previous 2 computers were HPs. The one I just had was a laptop, and it did what I needed it to - write papers and connect to the internet, but it was pretty slow. I'd still be using it, but it broke. There was a little prong, where you plug it in to charge it, and it broke off. I took it in and they told me it would cost 500$'s to fix it.. Not worth it for an almost 3 year old computer, that cost less than 1000 to begin with.

I'd say shop around, if that one fits your needs than go for it. Its a good price, but if it doesn't include Office, that will hike the price up, at least a couple hundred. XP professional and Office were the 2 things that cost the most on my computer.

Yeah I will deffinitly need those programs, but if they dont come with the computer ill download them:macho

red2004 TRX450R
12-29-2006, 09:53 AM
i WOULD NOT GET A COMPUTER MADE BY HP OR COMPACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for i would get a IBM or dell. in that order.
the IBM's are the best but you will pay extra for the quality.

I know have worked for an ISP - computer repair place for over 5 years!!

check out dells sight for referbashed or returned computer

scramblerracer
12-29-2006, 07:28 PM
I have found some good deals at dell auction and also on dells clearance stuff.

brianr134
12-29-2006, 09:06 PM
I'd veer from the HP or Compac computers (as mentioned) since I've seen several that were just horrible. It might just be that I've only seen bad ones, who knows?

Look at Toshiba or IBM's. At best buy there are a few nice Toshibas for $700 - $1000 that I personally would pick if I didn't need a higher end one that will perform well for some of the programs I use for Electrical Engineering and programming.

As for me, I love my Thinkpad T43, just wish I'd upgraded to the DVD burner.

Punk'd
12-29-2006, 10:43 PM
What is a good 17'' laptop with built in wireless internet, good speed and a good graphics card for gaming for under $1000?

Any reccommendations?

Thanks guys