PDA

View Full Version : keeps blowin fuses

400exridin121
12-28-2006, 09:03 PM
about 2 weeks ago we put on new tag handlebars. I took it out and rode it and brought it back to get somethin. when i came back it wouldnt start and there was no nuetral light. we put a fuse in and it started up but then blew it. same thing happened again. i shook the ignition and put another fuse in and it held up for about a day, then it blew two more. What could be the problem and how could i fix it? im pretty sure it must be in the ignition

440ex#28
12-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by 400exridin121
about 2 weeks ago we put on new tag handlebars. I took it out and rode it and brought it back to get somethin. when i came back it wouldnt start and there was no nuetral light. we put a fuse in and it started up but then blew it. same thing happened again. i shook the ignition and put another fuse in and it held up for about a day, then it blew two more. What could be the problem and how could i fix it? im pretty sure it must be in the ignition

sounds like something is getting grounded out, like you have a exposed wire touching bare metal or another wire.

08umax
12-28-2006, 11:06 PM
i agree with previous post u have an open circuit some where

Eviltanker
12-29-2006, 06:10 AM
Trace the wiring bet you will find it up near the battery.

81 clark racing
12-29-2006, 06:15 AM
ok well i hope this is understandable. take your headlights out and you will see 2 black rubber gourments on the back of the headlights. disconnect them from the headlight and slide them down the wire. you will see right where the metal bracket is rubbing against one of those black gourments causeing the wire to become bare and short out on that metal hanger thing. if you look straight down by your headlights you should see the metal bracket against that black rubber gourment theres where your problem is. once you either replace the wire or just liquid electrial tape it ( i have done 4 quads that way) still work fine. then bend that bracket out of the way. put everything back together replace the fuse's and you good to go! hope this helps if you need more info pm me

JOEX
12-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Since the bars were just replaced check the switch assembly. Might of pinched a wire during reassembly.

hondaracer57
12-31-2006, 09:29 AM
check the rear tail light wire cause thats were i found a bare wire touchin the frame...

prepracing
12-31-2006, 10:13 AM
I agree with clark and JOEX, since you just changed bars its mostlikely a pinched or bare wires near your switch or headlight area. I know those wires at rear of headlight are trouble areas

smitht316
12-31-2006, 01:00 PM
you can rule out both the tail light and headlight by just making sure the headlights are off when the fuse is blowing. if it blows with the lights off then the problem is not in that circuit

400exridin121
12-31-2006, 01:53 PM
it still does when the headlights are off but i moved the switches and it hasnt blown one since for about an hour and 5 turn ons