PDA

View Full Version : Elka Recreational's ??

jrm03
12-28-2006, 04:28 PM
What is the overall opinions on these shocks? I'm by no means an MX'er or any racer for that matter. I just do aggressive trail riding and on the occassion a scramble. I"m wanting some shocks to compliment my +1's I just purchased. For the price and being setup up for your style, I find these to be about the best deal. I'd go the used route, however, its hard to find a shock setup the way you need it. Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful.
Also, how often do you have to have a shock, such as these ones, serviced?

04TRX400EX
12-28-2006, 08:40 PM
If you do a search, you will likely find numerous topics about the Elka Rec series, a couple probably from me. The general consensus is that these are great shocks for the more casual atv rider. I, like you, am by no means a professional rider nor do I compete is serious competition. For me, the Rec series were a night-and-day difference over stock and they perform very well for what I use them for, which varies from MX to XC and everything in between including desert trails, woods, and dunes. They are money very well spent. As for servicing, I couldn't tell you - haven't had to yet and haven't even looked into it. As for where to get them though or who to ask, talk to Colby at C&D Racing (site sponsor). He is very knowledgeable and will give you the best price on the shocks. Just don't buy used because then you'll end up like one of the other people on here that complain that Elka's valving is terrible because the shocks weren't properly set up for them.

northwest Texas
12-28-2006, 09:16 PM
I'll agree that you should talk to Colby. He was nothing but great when my b-i-l sent his POS Elka's in to get revalved cause they were nothing better than terrible.

I did get some Works G Series up front for the same price he paid for his Elka's, around $450

jrm03
12-29-2006, 01:45 PM
I've searched previous threads, but they always seem to get side tracked on the R shocks and how getting them revalved is just as good. I would only get used Elkas if I got them dirt cheap so I could then get them revalved and sprung from C&D and have less money in them than new. I want to take the dive and spend another chunk of change, but I just can't bring myself to it yet. I have talked to Colby and he has a pretty good price and offered his two cents.

12-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
If you do a search, you will likely find numerous topics about the Elka Rec series, a couple probably from me. The general consensus is that these are great shocks for the more casual atv rider. I, like you, am by no means a professional rider nor do I compete is serious competition. For me, the Rec series were a night-and-day difference over stock and they perform very well for what I use them for, which varies from MX to XC and everything in between including desert trails, woods, and dunes. They are money very well spent. As for servicing, I couldn't tell you - haven't had to yet and haven't even looked into it. As for where to get them though or who to ask, talk to Colby at C&D Racing (site sponsor). He is very knowledgeable and will give you the best price on the shocks. Just don't buy used because then you'll end up like one of the other people on here that complain that Elka's valving is terrible because the shocks weren't properly set up for them.

that pretty much sums up my opinion of them...

jrm03
12-31-2006, 09:23 AM
I found a price of 381.30........I think I'm going to place an order and figure out later what to sell. lol

12-31-2006, 12:45 PM
that is darn good price, i paid 475 for the ones on my 400ex

jrm03
12-31-2006, 02:49 PM
I was all over it guy. I'm excited

JW450R1
01-01-2007, 05:08 AM
i bought new elka's and love them.they took a while to get set up,but once u get them set-up there great.elka has a very good custmer service too.