PDA

View Full Version : gt thunder shock rebuild

luvmyex
12-28-2006, 03:25 PM
has anyone done this on the yfz? im thinking hard about have the full conversion an wonder if is worth it. or if i should go aftermarket?

BigMike
12-29-2006, 10:43 AM
I am also looking for the answer to this question. I want to have my stock shocks revalved for my weight and overall lack of ability.

Mike

oldskoolex400
12-29-2006, 07:00 PM
im wanting to know the same question

A A R O N
12-29-2006, 08:53 PM
You guys really need to go ride or at least feel a bike with the stock revalves to be sure you like them, but if the price of the rebuilds/service is within your range then I would consider it. The rear shock on my yfz was redone by GT and it eliminated the bouncing/kick at higher speeds and just felt very smooth, even without the link. If It did have the link on it it just be that much better....don't let anybody talk you out of a single rate rear or dual rate fronts....I've talked to Laz quite a few times....I guess since I do work there:p ....and he knows his stuff. I've also watched his son Brandon whoop up on a few full Baldwin Long Travel PEP/walsh and PEP/JB 450r's on his stock rebuilds....needless to say, those guys were scratching their heads....

oldskoolex400
12-29-2006, 08:55 PM
can you get me a deal on rebuilds? AARON? lol

A A R O N
12-29-2006, 09:09 PM
lol I would love to hook up a fellow exriders member....but I'd also love to keep my job, so....no:p

oldskoolex400
12-29-2006, 09:17 PM
it was worth a shot ;)

dopeyferree
12-30-2006, 07:11 AM
I have the gt thunder rear rebuild and elka fronts. The rear rebuild works great.. My buddy runs the front rebuilds and loves them. I think these are a great money saving option

cop292
12-30-2006, 10:22 AM
What is the cost difference for having your stocks re-valved vs. going aftermarket??

morningracer626
12-30-2006, 10:47 AM
anybody running the GT Thunder/ATV Four Play XC stock shock long travel conversion front end? what do you guys think of it? My rear is already resprung & revalved and I'm using the XC link, all from GT Thunder of course. Is it worth the money or should I just save up for a Elka/Houser combo?

YFZ450Ridr
12-30-2006, 12:44 PM
actually i was wondering the same thing about the rebuilds. my buddy just got the full rebuilds with linkage on his 450r and all i can say is wow! the first day i rode them i also rode on custom axis shocks and honestly, they did not feel too much different. yes the axis had more travel but the rebuilds were just as soft. his 450r sits lower than my yfz now too.

so i came to the conclusion that for 800 bucks you get new springs, revalved shocks, and a new linkage and thats not too bad of a deal. i also have decided on gt thunder over derisi and c&d racing because of the linkage. after seeing how much it lowered his 450r and gave it that much travel im pretty sure i want the gt thunder, i was very impressed.

crayfz
12-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by morningracer626
anybody running the GT Thunder/ATV Four Play XC stock shock long travel conversion front end? what do you guys think of it? My rear is already resprung & revalved and I'm using the XC link, all from GT Thunder of course. Is it worth the money or should I just save up for a Elka/Houser combo?

I have this set up on both my quads, and i'm more then happy with it.
I think the front revalves are as good if not better then after market, and with the ATVFourplay a-arms your set.

ugotbit
12-30-2006, 07:00 PM
TCS also does rebuilds on the stockers. Check them out...

luvmyex
12-31-2006, 08:06 PM
what is the atv fourplay stock shock lt conversion?

crayfz
12-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by luvmyex
what is the atv fourplay stock shock lt conversion?

They get the increased travel from redesigning the a-arms.

luvmyex
01-01-2007, 06:01 AM
the stock arms? or do they replace the uppers? is this on gt thunders site or 4plays?

crayfz
01-01-2007, 08:36 AM
All new a-arms, there is a picture of the kit on gtthunders site

ugotbit
01-01-2007, 01:07 PM
ATV four play also makes MAX ground clearence arms in ST... I know GT Thunder was offering a package deal on the link, revalve on all 3 shocks and the arms for like $900 bucks. I dont think that was on the MGC arms tho...

nicker71
01-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Im using the gt thunder rear rebuilt and link kit. And I found a used Ars/fx axis front end. Im still puting things together so I dont know how they feel yet. Before I found the Ars/fx axis front end I was thinking about going with his front end to match the rear.
They dont use ATV four play arms anymore with their front end kit. They now make their own a-arms. After talking with Laz for a while he told me that his factory rebuilt std travel is better than most aftermarket companies out there, except for the ars/fx axis front end. So i was really happy when I found this used set. One reason I would prefer going aftermarket over stock rebuild would be the resale valve isnt very good on stockers, even when they are rebuilt. But that being true you can find some great deals on rebulit and respring stock shocks if you look long enough.
Im new to all this suspension stuff so I just hope my front long travel will work well with my rear. Atleast with his full setup you know that its going to be setup to work good with each other

GNCCracr
01-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I have just built my 07 YFZ for the upcoming GNCC season. And I am outfitted with GT Thunder full suspension package, stock shock rebuilds, front and rear, and the GT Thunder ATV Four play A-arms.
I sold my Axis shocks and Houser Slicast max clearance A-arms to change to this set up.
I sold my Axis rear shock early in the season last year to switch to the GTT stock rebuild with link. My reason for the switch was simply that the GTT rear set up worked far better.
I tested on the GTT front end last year as well, and felt that it was every bit as good, if not better than the Axis/Houser set up I was on. But was not going to try to change with the season already in progress.
I am confident that at least on the YFZ that the GTT full suspension package that I have right now is the best that is available. If I felt there was something better out there for GNCC racing. That is what I would buy, no matter what the cost. I just want the best.

erngidge
01-09-2007, 08:34 PM
I had Laz convert my '06 suspension to revalved long travel dual rate fronts with Fourplay A-arms, and revalved rear with the GT Thunder link arm and spring. This set-up is absolutely awesome for woods/GNCC type racing, and I would highly recommend it. The Laz conversion was spot on perfect from the day I installed it, and the cost was much less than some of the other options out there. My 450 hooks up way better, is way more stable in off-cambers and high speed sliders, soaks up trail trash very well, and only kicks me in the rear when I do something stupid. One word of caution. It is critical that you install the Houser steering flag. It repositions the tie rods (lower) and virtually eliminates bumpsteer. Probably not needed for MX (?), but essential for woods. For about $50 this was one of the most important mods I've made. Laz can set you up with this as well.

morningracer626
01-10-2007, 09:36 PM
thanks for all the feedback guys, I seen a few guys runnin this setup last year at the AWRCS races but I never had a chance to talk to anybody about what they thought. Now all I need to do is save up 1300 bucks and pick it up.

gixer_boy99
01-11-2007, 09:34 PM
I have a rear the was revalved from gt thunder for sale... Make offers....

oldskoolex400
01-12-2007, 04:28 AM
whats it set-up for and what kind of quad?

bradley300
01-12-2007, 05:38 AM
heres a few pics of my quad with the GTT set up in case someone wanted to see it
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/bradley300/fourwheeler/IMG_1836.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/bradley300/fourwheeler/IMG_1835.jpg

moshachusetts
03-30-2008, 05:28 PM
what size are the a-arms with the gt thunder /atv four play conversion?it doesnt say on the website but i plan on doing this to my 07 but only want +1/2

moshachusetts
03-30-2008, 05:30 PM
what size are the a-arms with the gt thunder /atv four play conversion?it doesnt say on the website but i plan on doing this to my 07 but only want +1/2

also this is a long travel conversion right? if so are there any other a-arms that the rebuilds will work with?

GNCCracr
03-30-2008, 06:26 PM
They are +1 We run 4-1 offset wheels

moshachusetts
03-30-2008, 06:56 PM
what does that bring you front width to? what size axle do you run with it?

GNCCracr
03-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Basically stock width. Stock axle is fine, no need for anything else. Sommers and Ockerman run stock axle with no problems, just to name two of the top guys from this years racing.