PDA

View Full Version : 400ex big bore kit question!!!

Horserebel512
12-28-2006, 02:24 PM
My friend loves to go 4-wheeling, he has a Honda400ex. At the recommendation of one of our friends, I bought a
Honda TRX400EX Wisco 440 big bore kit for him for Christmas. I have talked to a few guys who have worked on these 4-wheelers for years, one said he loves the 400ex but has never installed one of these kits on one, three others said it will be great and offer him increased acceleration as long as he gets his carb re-jetted. The kit came with the new 440 piston with rings, c-clips, piston pin, top end gastket kit, and a new 440cc cylinder sleeve (it did not come with a new cylinder set up already so he will have to press this sleeve into his existing cylinder). It says it's "offered" in 12.5:1 compression. Can anyone out there give me some feedback on this? I am not real familiar with Hondas or modifying 4-wheelers in general, and I really just wanted to give him something that won't be more of a pain than it's worth!!! Thanks to all who can help me!!!

PismoLocal
12-28-2006, 03:18 PM
I have an 440 and they are night and day over stock. For 12.5:1 compression he is going to have to run race gas, and to keep it reliable he should look into getting a new rod, HD cam chain or new cam chain, and Heavy duty head studs. Other than that its an awesome kit.

cory
12-30-2006, 03:46 PM
I had that exact kit. Get the new sleeve pressed in and go. Probably had 50 plus hours on mine with no problems. Dependent on his riding style, the extras may or may not be needed. I race mine circle track (pretty hard, but steady) and never busted a cam chain, rod, or stripped any head bolts...and I have alot more crap in there than just the 440 now. Good reliable kit, in my opinion. He'll love it.

400exrules
12-30-2006, 08:14 PM
deff need hd rod, hd studs, and hd cam chain

and of course race gas