PDA

View Full Version : Stihl chainsaw question

4TraxRider
12-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Hey guys, I just got a mid 90's stihl 009 Electronic stop chainsaw that hasn't run in a couple years. We had 15 of them at work at one point before we switched to Husky's and this is the last survivor I found in the back room. I got it running, cleaned the carb, new air filter, new plug, and new gas. It doesn't really run up top very strong though. It always feels very loaded up. I've adjusted the screw in the side of the carb from all in to all out and it doesn't make much of a difference to clear it up at high RPM. It was 3 and a half turns out when i started and I have it at 4 and it seems to run it's best there. Does anybody have any idea's or had one that ran similar? I'm only using it to clear some trails and stuff, nothing crazy. If I'm doing fire wood I bring the Husky home but I figured this would be nice to have incase I need it on a weekend or something. Thanks

wvspeedfreak
12-28-2006, 04:21 PM
First check to see that there is no restriction in the muffler.If not,you need to clean the passages in the carb.

Woodsrider
12-28-2006, 04:21 PM
did you clean the air filter really well? I know when my 026 runs bad on top its usally pretty plugged up. You could just drop it off at the saw shop and get a tune up. Ive run my 026 so long I wore out a bar:D I wouldnt run anything but a Stihl.

SGA
12-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Is there two air adjusting screws on the carb, one for low speed and one for high speed? You may be turning the low speed adjusting needle.

PolarisRider06
12-28-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
Ive run my 026 so long I wore out a bar:D

i get a kick out of that. i guess just cause my dad used to log so we've went through a lot of saws and a lot of bars... but yeah anyways

on the topic of running bad like SGA said check if theres 2 adjustment screws on the carb, and like Woodsrider said check the filter, it wouldn't hurt to get a new one anyways probably. another thing that it might be is the gas filter plugging up in the gas tank, it might not be able to flow enough to support 13000 RPM's it would probably be worth replacing anyways if its from the mid 90's its probably clogged to hell.

also its not to hard to pull chainsaws apart so just tearing it down and looking it over might be a good idea, even if you just pull the carb and exhaust off and check out how dirty the ports are, maybe clean the carbon out of the exhaust side and put in a new sparkplug, just make sure if you clean the exhaust port that you use a vacuum and air hose to get all the carbon out of the engine so you dont blow it up.

trick450r
12-29-2006, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by PolarisRider06
i get a kick out of that. i guess just cause my dad used to log so we've went through a lot of saws and a lot of bars... but yeah anyways

on the topic of running bad like SGA said check if theres 2 adjustment screws on the carb, and like Woodsrider said check the filter, it wouldn't hurt to get a new one anyways probably. another thing that it might be is the gas filter plugging up in the gas tank, it might not be able to flow enough to support 13000 RPM's it would probably be worth replacing anyways if its from the mid 90's its probably clogged to hell.

also its not to hard to pull chainsaws apart so just tearing it down and looking it over might be a good idea, even if you just pull the carb and exhaust off and check out how dirty the ports are, maybe clean the carbon out of the exhaust side and put in a new sparkplug, just make sure if you clean the exhaust port that you use a vacuum and air hose to get all the carbon out of the engine so you dont blow it up.

i work on stihls and all other chansaws as a job, and i can tell you if your going to keep it...just go ahead and runa ll new gas and vent lines with a new filter, if its sat for any amount of time the line is just going to keep cracking when you try to put a new filter on it...take the exhaust off and clean it out, take the carb apart and replace both diaphragms..

Woodsrider
12-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by PolarisRider06
i get a kick out of that. i guess just cause my dad used to log so we've went through a lot of saws and a lot of bars... but yeah anyways.

LOL I guess I should have put that into better context huh? Im not a logger, all do is cut fire wood for myself and a friend each year. We cut on average 8 cord a summer.

4TraxRider
12-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the help guys, it ended up being the exhaust. I switched it with a non running one we had and it ran a ton better, but a lot louder, oh well. I got a fuel filter for it today but I guess I'll wait and get new lines for it as well if you guys think it would help. I never would have guessed there was that much saw dust in the whole thing though. When it came apart a whole tree fell out of the covers. And I wonder why we have to buy new saws for the employees every year. :mad:

trick450r
12-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
Thanks for the help guys, it ended up being the exhaust. I switched it with a non running one we had and it ran a ton better, but a lot louder, oh well. I got a fuel filter for it today but I guess I'll wait and get new lines for it as well if you guys think it would help. I never would have guessed there was that much saw dust in the whole thing though. When it came apart a whole tree fell out of the covers. And I wonder why we have to buy new saws for the employees every year. :mad:

Its louder because the screen got blocked on the other one so they took it out, that would be all you have to do to yours...

PolarisRider06
12-29-2006, 01:07 PM
woodsrider

i know what your saying. i mean for most people they will probably only ever need 1 or 2 chainsaws their entire life for firewood especially if your only cutting up 8 cords between the two of you. i mean hell the other day me and my cousin cut some firewood for their house and shop and we cut up about 4 cords in one day and 8 cords the next day and thats probably not gonna last the winter probably but they have 2 huge outdoor woodstoves, one for the house and one for the shop, and they dont use anything other than wood to heat the house or shop.

trick250r
12-29-2006, 08:53 PM
i dont know what your gas mixture is but try running it with less oil try a 50 to 1 gas mixture should make it run up top better and will not hurt your engine so dont worry about that but if your consurned make it 42 to 1 if that doesnt work try 50 to 1 if that doesent work then idk its probably just not ment to have much up top.