PDA

View Full Version : 2004 400ex oil pouring out of air box

JAM
12-28-2006, 09:21 AM
HELP

I just bought a 400ex from a guy in Ohio and after riding it for just 20 min I went thru a quart of oil. After I parked it oil was pouring out of the port at the bottom of the air box. I put a quart of oil in it and rode it again with the same problem. rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blasterandy
12-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Damn, he didn't let you ride it before you bought it. I always give a thourouh(spelling) check of tires and oil level air filter and like wise. Have you checked the oil in the sump. And made sure its not the oil on the filter coming off. Where are you putting the oil in you need to be putting it in the sump on the front not in the air box. If your putting it in there your pretty much a retard. I am almost positive and i hope your not but might as well mention it.

JAM
12-28-2006, 09:49 AM
When I bought it the oil level was fine and the air filter was clean.

I rode it for 5 min and didn't see any problems. Seams like after I got it warmed up is when the problems started.

I added the oil the oil reservoir in front of the engine. DUH

I think the rings are shot and it's pressurizing the crankcase.

duey
12-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Is the crankcase breather bottle filled with oil?

Try this:

Drain all the oil from the bike. Two places to drain, first at the bottom of the oil tank and second on the left side of engine down by the shifter. Also, remove the oil filter and make sure it is installed properly. Replace with new filter if needed. Refill with 2 quarts oil. Put new oil in oil tank. See if that solves your problem.

ImplodedMindZ
12-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Is the plastic breather tank on the side of your intake hose full of oil? or have some oil in the bottom of it? Sounds like you already have a pretty good idea of whats goin on and are on the right track. Maybe when you have the engine runnin look @ the tank and see if theres alot of oil comin up into it.

blasterandy
12-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Sounds like a simple mistake of the oil fliters installation. Then again i could be wrong.

12-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by JAM

I think the rings are shot and it's pressurizing the crankcase.

That was my guess.

Look on the brite side - your 400EX can now become a 440EX.

:D

JAM
12-29-2006, 03:01 PM
The plastic breather tank was full of oil and the air filter is soaked.

My local honda shop thought it was the filter instation also but I've looked at it ans every thing look to be as it should. I can read "cover side" on the oil filter and the spring is in place between the engine and the filter.

Is there any other trick with the filter?

Thanks for your help guys

ImplodedMindZ
12-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Check out this thread, might shed some light on things. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=235134&highlight=crankcase+pressure
Possibly improper oil level?

svahle
12-29-2006, 03:22 PM
How are you checking the oil level? You need to start the bike, let it IDLE for about 5 minutes and then shut it off. Then check the oil level with the dipstick. DO NOT screw in the dipstick when you check it, just put the dipstick in the fill hole without threading it in. This is the way to check the oil properly.

I'm thinkin' it could be overfilled. Overfilling is certainly a problem on the 400ex when the proper oil level checking procedure is not used.

If you just walk up to a 400ex that is cold and pull the dipstick it will read low (sometimes mine will barely show any oil on the dipstick). But when checked properly it is right on the money.

Good luck.

JAM
12-31-2006, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the link to the other thread. My problem does sound exactly the same as his.

I did the idle for 5min and check the oil and it was low. I removed the breather bottle and put the hose from the crankcase into a can so I could watch it. Oil pours from this hose constantly!

I think somthing is serously wrong with this thing. I'll probably end up taking it to the honda shop tuesday.

Thanks guys

dariusld
01-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by svahle
How are you checking the oil level? You need to start the bike, let it IDLE for about 5 minutes and then shut it off. Then check the oil level with the dipstick. DO NOT screw in the dipstick when you check it, just put the dipstick in the fill hole without threading it in. This is the way to check the oil properly.

This is not the proper way to check your oil. Maybe you just didn't completely describe it. Everything is right except after you shut it off your supposed to wait a couple of minutes, then check it. That is what my owners manual says.