PDA

View Full Version : Can"t Get My Rims Off!! Need Helpp!

ZSNOW
12-28-2006, 06:46 AM
like the title says i went to go to the track the other day for the last home practice of the year....and when i tryed to take off my 125. aluminum rims off stock hubs to put my 18's on for the track and when i went to take it off the lug holes are mashed onto the the threads of the lugs?how do i get it out?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Flynbryan19
12-28-2006, 07:09 AM
Hammer?

ZSNOW
12-28-2006, 07:18 AM
tryed it...my dad was gonna try and press it off with the press he has at work....but i said no cuz i wasn't sure if it would wreck my rim?the rim is litterally squished on to the threads

gbcap
12-28-2006, 07:30 AM
if your threads are "squished" into the threads your prolly going to ruin the rim anyway. it sounds like your lugs were a tad loose while riding and the wheel moved around on the studs.

dads400ex
12-28-2006, 07:51 AM
More than likely you will either have to have your dad press them off or just use a hammer.
Did you use the flat side of the stock lug nut or a nut with a flat flange on it? I have seen people put the stock nuts on with the bevel towards the wheel and it pushed the wheel into the studs and made the wheels hard to get off.

ZSNOW
12-28-2006, 09:52 AM
i had the rim then washer then i put the stock lug on the same way they are on stockwheels(i know stupid but it was 11:30 and i wanted em on)....and it mashed the washer and the rim so its stuck on the lug now

ZSNOW
12-28-2006, 09:53 AM
i had the rim then washer then i put the stock lug on the same way they are on stockwheels(i know stupid but it was 11:30 and i wanted em on)....and it mashed the washer and the rim so its stuck on the lug now

ZSNOW
12-28-2006, 09:53 AM

Titanium
12-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Sounds like you put the tapered side of the lug nut to the inside. its a easy fix. just take the cotter pin out of the middle of the hub and take an impact wrench and take off that big bolt that holds the hub in to the axle. now you should be able to just pull the hub and axle off together. now that the hub is taken off the axle with the rim still intact with the hub take a piece of wood or do what i did and cut about an 8 or 9 inch long piece of 2x4. with the piece of wood long ways goin up and down(if that makes sense) on top of the stud and beat one stud at a time with a malet or balpeen hammer. make sure you beat on each stud evenly to knock the hub out evenly or you will make the situation harder than it really is. this shouldnt ruin the rim if done correctly. i've done this twice before.

wishmasstir
12-28-2006, 12:45 PM
yeah what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

indyZrider
12-28-2006, 05:00 PM
do not over tighten the lugs! many guys have done this. washer? who has washer's on their lug studs? wood and a BFH. beat that effer off and then get new studs. thats your only option. taking the hubs off first is a good idea.

ZSNOW
12-28-2006, 08:52 PM
sry for the stupid idea....:ermm: