PDA

View Full Version : home made air compressor

Eddiesanders250
12-27-2006, 09:29 PM
i have a 26 gal craftsman air compressor, i use anair dremel and it drains it real fast..... There is a drain valve on the bottom of the tank, I want to get an empty propane tank and use the same hose that you use with the propane and get the right fitting to hook it up to the air compressor. this way you can close the propane tank if you dont want to use it or just open the valve........
What do you think?

Aceman
12-27-2006, 09:38 PM
I run an Ingersoll Rand die grinder at 175 psi with a 90 gallon tank. It still kicks the compressor on a lot with my setup as well. Your best bet probably is to install a regulator and turn down the psi to 90 or less, that is what most air tools are rated to run at. This should help with your compressors cycling problem. Otherwise, look for an old air compressor with a bad pump and just use the tank off it for extra storage. Check out your pawn shops in Bend, they probably have some cheap compressors for sale. Hydraulic hose works well for air lines between tanks and minimizes vibration.

Woodsrider
12-27-2006, 09:54 PM
Holy crap your running 175psi through an IR die grinder:eek2: I hope your not cutting watermellons with that:D

But I agree, find another compressor tank and link them together, untill you can afford a larger compressor. But an "air dremmel" or pen router should only require about 75psi line pressure to run it.

Aceman
12-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
Holy crap your running 175psi through an IR die grinder:eek2: I hope your not cutting watermellons with that:D

I mostly use a 20-25k rpm wire wheel cup for removing gaskets. Using wheels rated less than that and I look like a porcupine from all the wire bristles sticking out of me.:p

Eddiesanders250
12-27-2006, 11:41 PM
so basically youre saying instead of using a propane tank use a big tank for storage... like an old air compressor just to hold the air, not to use the pump... That is an option, a propane tank was just the first think that came to mind...... Do they make like a 50 gal or so propane tank? Im sure they do

honda4life72
12-28-2006, 07:10 AM
yea and where good safty glasses ...i was wearing mine and a niney peice of metal came under the glasses and stuck in my eye...700 dollars for that to get drilled out...

smr
12-28-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Eddiesanders250
i have a 26 gal craftsman air compressor, i use anair dremel and it drains it real fast..... There is a drain valve on the bottom of the tank, I want to get an empty propane tank and use the same hose that you use with the propane and get the right fitting to hook it up to the air compressor. this way you can close the propane tank if you dont want to use it or just open the valve........
What do you think?

This will only gain you volume. This will have no effect on how often your compressor kicks on and off. You will still be lowering the pressure at the same rate unless you do what Aceman says and install a regulator.

Aceman....175psi.....:eek2: What kind of compressor do you have that produces that much pressure? Most will blow the pressure valve between 125 and 150.

Woodsrider
12-28-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by smr
Aceman....175psi.....:eek2: What kind of compressor do you have that produces that much pressure? Most will blow the pressure valve between 125 and 150.

Actually any good dual stage 80 gallon compressor is rated at 175 psi max line pressure. Its the tools that I would be scared of failing while its in my hand. Your right though, with out a line regualtor, his pump doesn't stand a chance.

It's all about CFM and PSI, both what the tool requires and what the compressor will produce. Control what comes to the tool(regulator) and both your tool and the compressor will thank you.

bulkdriverlp
12-28-2006, 03:25 PM
get a 124 upright propane tank. be careful, get local propane company advice before messing with it. (i am npga certified). ive seen amish use 10 500 gallon tanks hooked together for running their air tools for their woodworking shop. they use a 10hp to push. gas powered of course. good idea it will work. i know that heavy duty truck tires only require 140psi, i think your off on your airflow. good luck

Eddiesanders250
12-28-2006, 09:35 PM
I have a regulator... it controls the amount of air that passes thru the hose and to the tool.... everyone of my air tools can only handle 90psi so i think the extra tank will help alot. it is extra volume which will be good so the pump wont turn on as much....

smr
12-29-2006, 04:53 AM
doesn't matter about the volume because you will still be lowering it at the same rate.

Woodsrider
12-29-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by smr
doesn't matter about the volume because you will still be lowering it at the same rate.

Correct me if Im wrong.....
He will be able to run the tool longer before the pump kicks on, but it will take the pump longer to recover due to the higher volume. Remember that CFM is the rate at wich the air leaves the tank, not PSI. If the pump produces more CFM than the tool comsumes, more storage capacity is all he needs.