PDA

View Full Version : splitting 450r cases, problem with shift drum bolt

MasterOfFaster
12-27-2006, 08:03 PM
I was working on the splitting the cases on a 450r tonight, got right down to where I was almost ready to pull them apart but I'm having a problem getting the bolt out of the end of the shift drum, the one that holds the shift star/drum holder (not sure on correct term here) in place. The problem I'm having is just the bolt coming out extremely hard. I was able to hold the drum still by holding the outside drum and I got the bolt out a couple of threads but now I don't have anyway of holding the drum internally. Can I just let the drum stop itself and keep cranking the bolt out? I was worried about possibly bending shift forks by doing this. Anyone who's done this before please let me know the correct way to remove this, its my buddies motor and I don't want to cost him anymore money than it already going to cost him to replace the siezed crank. Thanks guys.

1fst400
12-27-2006, 10:14 PM
I have done a yfz and 400ex tranny. so not same but close.

I usually turn the drum all the way counter clockwise. and I believe that the drum bottomes out. Not just puting pressure on the last shift fork.

Dont quote me on that. Seems odd that once you get it loose it doesent come out no prob.

MasterOfFaster
12-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Yeah I'm not sure why it isn't just turning out by finger now like usual, maybe some tough locktite from the factory still in there. I did turn the drum all the way counterclockwise and I kinda had the feeling that it was hitting a positive stop, but didn't want to ruin anything by guessing, I don't work on too many Hondas, thanks.