PDA

View Full Version : reed spacer or not.

trailwart
12-27-2006, 07:10 PM
i have an esr 330 pv with boyesen rad valve with no spacer. should i put one on or not. what are the pros and cons of the spacer. im in the market for new reeds, carbon fiber or fiber glass.

matt250r21
12-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Reed spacers are suppose to help with low end power, to close up the space when a CR250 reed cage and intake boot are used, or if your rubber parts are so old that they have shrunk over time. I have tried them before and felt almost no difference. As far as reeds go, carbon fiber are better for top end power and fiberglass for low end power.

C-LEIGH RACING
12-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Some people just use it as a spacer when useing the CR intake & reed so the carb will reach the air filter boot.
Reed spacers allow more volume space it the crankcase, that in turn lowers the total crankcase presure just a bit & slows the charge going up through the ports promoting a little more bottom end.
A reed spacer used on a top end ported cylinder will sometimes take some of the hit out of the engine when it jumps on the pipe, just a little, not quite as sharp a jump as before.
Neil