PDA

View Full Version : TRX250r Problem

Boggs#3
12-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Ok im new to this site. Im 16 years old and just bought a 1987 250r from my cousin and it has no spark.it ran good and he took it apart to powder coat the frame and when he put it back togather it would not spark. I dont know that much about them but i looked at all the wires and made sure nothing was rusty. I have got it to spark 3 out of about 300 kicks.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Eddiesanders250
12-27-2006, 07:20 PM
it probably doesnt have a good ground... the ground is on the radiator mount, i think on the top left. make sure you grind it down to bare metal.
Also make sure youre kicking it hard enough. it has to about 750 rpm or so to get a spark. get on the bike and actually kick it over like you would to start it...

Boggs#3
12-27-2006, 08:41 PM
I tried the gound i cleaned it and grined it down some. I took the green wire and the black wire with yellow stipe rite off the cdi and hooked the to the coil and i have a little spark with the spark plug wire end off but when i put it back on and put a spark plug in it it dont spark. Both wires going to the coil light up a test light when i kick it over could my coil just be bad? Thanks

matt250r21
12-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Your motor needs to be grounded. Strip the powder coat on one of the motor mounts so you have bare aluminum (engine case) to bare frame steel.

Boggs#3
12-27-2006, 11:26 PM
What do you mean to the engine cases? Its ground down to pure metal on the frame where there is a thick green wire running to it with a copper end.

Aceman
12-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by matt250r21
Your motor needs to be grounded. Strip the powder coat on one of the motor mounts so you have bare aluminum (engine case) to bare frame steel.

Exactly what Matt said. Clean one of your mounts off where it rubs against your engine and also make sure the mount is touching bare frame steel. I can't explain it any simpler than that.

iamjasyn
12-28-2006, 01:10 PM
The engine should run without the engine grounded to the frame. At least it did in a case I had when I PC'd my frame. However, the lights didn't work and there was a polarity issue (sparking) between the frame and the chassis. Ironically, making sure the engine was in SOLID contact with the frame through the motor mount fixed everything. Again though, the engine should still run without being grounded to the chassis.

It's an odd system how it works with the engine carrying a different polarity than the chassis and also it being required that they are in contact with each other. However, though that is how it is supposed to be to make all the systems work right.

Boggs#3
12-28-2006, 03:08 PM
I have tired all this has any one hurd of a motoply ignition it does away with the cdi box or something beacuse i can get one off a guy i no for $50. Does any one know what this is or what comes with it or how to hook it up. thanks

Boggs#3
12-28-2006, 04:55 PM
Ok Where should the ground wire be comming from and what color is it? The green wire running out of the cdi has 3 other green wires spliced into it one goes to the coil one goes to the frame (ground i think) one goes to the bad where the tail light is and there are 2 more green wires spliced into it i think for the tail light? I would like to just get rid of all the wires i dont need like taillight,headlights,kill switch,and key switch how hard would this be. thanks

j28d
12-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Take a piece of wire and run it from under a head nut to a bolt(make sure it's bare metal) on the frame. It should fire right up. Where are you in Jackson, I live in the Akron/Barberton area. I have 3 250R's I'm parting out, if you want to bring the bike over you're more than welcome to try a different coil and see if it helps. Good luck with it.

Boggs#3
12-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Ok thanks. I got it to start up. I ran the ground wire from the coil wire is this wright also i hooked my prodesign kill switch to the green coil wire? It cutts out at mid to high rpm's ?? Thanks