PDA

View Full Version : needing a bunch of help

redneckgirl
12-27-2006, 05:11 PM
I want to race in hare scrambles. I have never raced before. It looks like something I would enjoy. I have no idea what I am getting in to. I love the trails, hills, creeks, jumps and speed. I boughat a ltr 450 and want to run in a stock beginner class. What in the world do I need to do before I even start the endevor?

ZSNOW
12-27-2006, 05:37 PM
u need a tether switch and nerf bars and on a ltr thats all u need to race and i would reccomend a cherry bomb

csimp3
12-27-2006, 06:22 PM
yeah, get a cherry bomb and remove the air box lid, and remover the baffle, the extra power is great for only $40, like ZSNOW said youll need a tether and nerfs, other than that just try to ride as much as you can, get as much experience as possible, and most hare scrambles are 1 hour of solid riding so make sure that you can pace your self so you can race for an hour, cause thats a long time without a break, also make sure you are hydrated, a camel back or some other hydration system wouldnt hurt at all

firefighterjosh
12-27-2006, 06:40 PM
What you have to have

1. Tether kills switch.

Other stuff.

1 Nerfs. You do not have to have them but most do. I run them cuz I do not want my legs to fall in front of the pegs. One of my buddies dosen't run them. He hates them.

2. I highly suggest skid plates. It gets nasty out there.

3. 20inch rear tires and 21 inch fronts

Thats a good start. I would also suggest maybe putting your airbox back on and cutting a hole in the top and putting a Outerwear cover were the hole is.

Are you going to race Local or GNCC???

Local races are ussually an hour long and GNCC are 2

redneckgirl
12-28-2006, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I think I have to get the tether to compete in the stock class. Does the mod to the exhaust alter the quad enough to take it out of the stock class. I have seen the extreme nerfs on this sight for $250 plus s and h. The stock suzuki nerfs for sale at $130 seems a good fit into my budget. I think at this time I am looking into the district 11 ama races. I am told they are well run and near home. On the subject of the breather, is it just a hole on top or what? I am not sure. Are the skid plates a must if I plan on running hard? I have no problem getting the things I need. I would rather avoid a problem than fix one.

firefighterjosh
12-28-2006, 05:00 AM
I would at the minimum run a Swingarm skid. But I would highly suggest a belly skid as well. Never know what is going to be in the trail. 1 rock could crack a case. I go through about a skid plate a year. They are ussually still in good condition but they are bent up and don't fit very well.

I am not sure where you buy them, but I have seen ppl make them.

All it is is a square cut into the top of you airbox lid. Then a piece of aluminum holds down a waterproff outerwear. I run a airbox lid on my 400 but my friends LTR won't run worth of poo without the lid off. He runs his lid off and hasn't had a problem yet with sucking in water but you can never be to careful.

redneckgirl
12-28-2006, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I think I have to get the tether to compete in the stock class. Does the mod to the exhaust alter the quad enough to take it out of the stock class. I have seen the extreme nerfs on this sight for $250 plus s and h. The stock suzuki nerfs for sale at $130 seems a good fit into my budget. I think at this time I am looking into the district 11 ama races. I am told they are well run and near home. On the subject of the breather, is it just a hole on top or what? I am not sure. Are the skid plates a must if I plan on running hard? I have no problem getting the things I need. I would rather avoid a problem than fix one.

dodgepower
12-28-2006, 06:00 AM
Well Redneck for ATVA rules yes the pipe, and airbox lid, and cherry bomb takes it out of stock.

Also if my other nerfs come in before you buy some ill make ya a good deal cause already got another pair.

redneckgirl
12-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I want to keep things simple and avoid problems. I just want to race and have some fun.

dodgepower
12-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Not a problem