PDA

View Full Version : Making the transition from synthetic to nonsynthetic--Is it ok??

HingeDisc07
12-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Hello, I need a couple questions from you guys if you be so kind.

1) Is it ok to make a transition from synthetic oil (Amsoil 10-40w) to Nonsynthetic oil (Rotella 15-40w)?

Reason for the question is because, I recently installed a 416 Bore kit witha stage 2 hotcams and people on this board recommend running nonsynthetic oil to break the motor in. Is this a good idea? I would eventually switch to Rotella synthetic 5-40w after the engine is broken in.

2) How long should I break my engine in untill I decide to switch to synthetic?

Thanks in advance!!

250X_project
12-27-2006, 04:10 PM
This is a reply I made for another post just a few minutes ago......

Run conventional engine oil, not synthetic or a blend. Synthetic actually, lubricates too well and doesn't let the engine wear enough to even seat the rings in the bore.
Run 1/4 throttle and under, then 1/2 and under, then 3/4 and under. For each throttle position run until at full operating temp, let fully cool, then change the oil and filter(engine break-in causes oil to be contaminated w/ metal shavings). During this process vary the engine speed as much as you can. After this, change the oil in 1/2 the normal time. EX. after 5hrs when normally 10. After this things are back to normal. Ride it!
The heating and cooling of an engine (expanding and contracting of metal) is very important. ;)

HingeDisc07
12-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks alot for you help!

250X_project
12-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Glad to help.

Dragnut06
01-05-2007, 01:54 AM
so what about regular bike, i was wondering if its ok to switch from one to the other one i heard once u go synthetic that you can't go back is this true??

250X_project
01-05-2007, 08:00 PM
I've also heard that. I am not sure weather there is, or is not any truth to this. Though I see no reason why you couldn't switch. Maybe someone else can shed better light on this though.

John Pennella
01-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Ya I heard that its bad to go from synthetic to regular from my dad. I ran synthetic in my semi auto lakota and loved how nice it shifted but just went back to regular oil because I could see moisture in the oil window. Nothing happened when I did this, I just drained the motor real good then did another oil change shortly after to make sure all the synthetic oil is out. And synthetic works good but I think it's too slippery for the beating I give my quad especially when someone breaks in a motor on synthetic, it doesn't let the parts wear together.