PDA

View Full Version : Wont start!!!!!!!!!HELP!!!

unek_one
12-27-2006, 01:15 PM
OK heres the deal my 99 400ex wont start up, wont turn over, lights wont turn on nothing, not event he green neutral light. I bought a new battery a new solenoid. When i touch the negative and positive of the solenoid it cranks over and when i give it gas sghe fires up. BUt then when i turn her off and try the key nothing? Could it just be the ignition switch?:eek2:

250X_project
12-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Now, when you say you bought a new battery and solenoid, do you mean they are installed in the quad and still doesn't start with button? No lights? ;)

unek_one
12-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Yup installed, charged battery and new solenoid. I turn the key nothing. But touch the two ends of sloenoid and she starts cranking. I just bought a ignition switch hopefully thats whats worng.

250X_project
12-27-2006, 05:12 PM
I'd try that next as well. Good luck.

hornetgod13
12-27-2006, 10:15 PM
There is a fuse in the electrical system? Have you checked it?

400eXr1d3rZ
12-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Check the fuse, that's probably what it is. Happened to be before, I tried to figure out what it was for about 45 minutes, I called a friend over and he knew what it was in less the 5.

Hondabeefast
12-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
Check the fuse, that's probably what it is. Happened to be before, I tried to figure out what it was for about 45 minutes, I called a friend over and he knew what it was in less the 5.

def. check the fuse this is exactly what happen to me yesterday!

unek_one
12-28-2006, 11:24 AM
Ive checked the fuse trust me that was the first thing I did. But I notice that when i cranked her over and got her running, the light s would get dimmer when i wasnton the throttle and the green neutral light wodl get brighter when i hit throttle. I have been readin that if a wire from the headlights comes in contact with metal it could short out the system. Is this true? because the highs only work not the low beam. Thanks for your help.

hornetgod13
12-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Your "new" battery my need to be charged. Did you check the voltage on it before it was installed? They don't always come fully charged. I'd give it a good charge and see what you got.
Here's a thread I found from a while back with a guy that had the same problem you're having. I hope this helps you out.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=262052&highlight=start
Be certain to post what actually solved your problem so people can save a lot of heart ache in the future if they have a similar troubles. So many people don't do this and there are all those empty unanswered or hanging threads out there.

unek_one
12-28-2006, 01:30 PM
thanks ill try that, wish i knew how to use a volt meter, lol.. wil im gonna start by checking all the grounds, then if any bare wires are coming from my headlights. I know the battery is charged becuase I charged it myself but if i do solve this ill will definetly post how i fixed it. Thanks

DieselBoy
12-28-2006, 05:25 PM
sounds like poor connection, or a short.......

exrider2001red
12-28-2006, 08:41 PM
isnt there two fuses coming from the battery? but the exact same thing happened to me the other day and it turned out to be the fuse. if it were me id still drive it until i found the problem just bring a screw driver to cross the solinoid when you go

unek_one
12-29-2006, 09:55 AM
I only noticed one fuse thats right next to the battery coming off of the solenoid. Ive decided that im not taking the 400..were leaving to Ocatillo this afternoon. But when i get back im going trace the wires starting from the ignition switch. Thanks alot guys and when i nail this problem i will post what was wrong and how i fixed the problem.

svahle
12-29-2006, 03:32 PM
I think there is just one fuse. The other fuse in the holder is a spare.