PDA

View Full Version : Vibration in the Handlebars?

HondaSkidoo
12-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Hello,

I bought a used 2004 400ex this summer and at mid RPM range I get alot of feedback (Vibration) in the handlebars. Is this normal? If not what should I look for to correct it? Thanks
:confused:

drsnugfit
12-27-2006, 01:30 PM
you will get some vibration through the bars, it the price we pay for having solid engine mounts, however if it is accesive, then I would check for movement in the top steering stem bracket, this has a rubber bung in it and does wear quite easierly, this would exagrate the vibration.

12-27-2006, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't think "alot" of vibration is normal.

HondaSkidoo
12-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks, I feel better knowing it normal and that I don't have a major problem.

NacsMXer
12-27-2006, 03:27 PM
I have found that injecting silicone directly into the handlebars helps to dampen vibration some. I did it on my last set of 7/8" bars with the crossbar since they are much more rigid than a tapered 1 1/8" fat bar.

I used a caulk gun with a tube of silicone, poked a little hole through one grip, and pumped it through the bars until it was full. It definitely helped and was better than nothing.

I really didn't need to do this on fat bars since vibration isn't as much of an issue.

HondaSkidoo
12-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
[
I really didn't need to do this on fat bars since vibration isn't as much of an issue. [/B]

Are you saying that Fat bars eliminate the vibration? If so, can I just replace the bars or are there other parts I will need to replace? Thanks

NacsMXer
12-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by HondaSkidoo
Are you saying that Fat bars eliminate the vibration? If so, can I just replace the bars or are there other parts I will need to replace? Thanks

They don't eliminate the vibration altogether, but a set of fat bars is a lot more forgiving than a regular 7/8" bar with a crossbar from my experiences.

That crossbar makes the bars a lot more rigid, both landing off of jumps and with the transmission of vibration and other feedback to the rider.

With the fat bars, there is no crossbar in the middle, so when you land off a jump, the bars flex downward a good bit and generally don't give as much feedback as standard 7/8" bars.

I have ridden with several aftermarket sets of 7/8" bars and I prefer the 1 1/8" fat bars hands down. You will still get some vibration through them, but in general, they are a lot less harsh on you than standard 7/8" bars.

If you really want to get serious about it, check these out: www.fastco.com too expensive for me though.

With a 1 1/8" fat bar, all you need is the bars, standard grips, and a set of universal adapter clamps that adapt your stock 7/8" size clamp in order to accept the larger 1 1/8" fat bar. That's all you need.

HondaSkidoo
12-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks NacsMXer for the info on the Fat Bars. I think they will be my next purchase. I couldn't find what you were talking about on the link to www.fastco.com .

NacsMXer
12-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Not a problem :) Sorry, that website was a typo its: www.fasstco.com

These bars have little elastomer rubber cushions on each end that dampen vibration and "give" with large impacts to save your wrists. The $300 price tag isn't so pretty though, but it's something to think about if you can find a deal on them. I think you will be plenty happy with some $70 fat bars and universal clamps for $30 though

HondaSkidoo
12-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks Again NacsMXer . Do you recommend a brand or a place to purchase the fat bars?

NacsMXer
12-28-2006, 04:48 PM
I have run TAG T2's and Fly Aerotapered fat bars and both are excellent quality bars. You also can't go wrong with Renthal or Pro Taper fat bars.

It is more about rider preference when selecting which brand you like. Handlebar bends (width/height/pull back) vary from brand to brand so that has an influence on what brand people run as well. For example, a TAG bar in CR High bend will be slightly different in dimensions than a Pro Taper bar in CR High bend even though they are the same bends. You should visit various manufacturers websites and study their bar bend charts to determine which bend will suit you best.

I prefer a bar with a tall height for a more upright rider postion, less pullback for better rider control, and a suitable width that will allow my arms to be comfortable without making them stretch too far apart. After comparing measurements on the bar charts, I determined I needed a bar in Mini High bend.

Here's TAG's bar chart to give you an idea: http://www.tagmetals.us/mx/productdetails.php?id=t2bats
My bend is comparable to the Mini Works bend by TAG. Keep in mind, that the CR High bend is actually a very low handlebar with a height of 95. That Mini Works height at 118 is very comfortable for me and i'm only 5'7". I also recommend the CR Double High bend as it is very comfortable and suitable for aggressive riding.

C&D racing, the site sponsor can hook you up on these bars and the adapter clamps. Most of the time if you mention your ATVriders name, they will give you a 10% discount :cool:

sideways400
12-29-2006, 10:39 PM
you hit it dead on with the silicone.just chunk them steel bars as far as you can.i bought the tag X5.they make a really good bar never bent mine and tried lol.