PDA

View Full Version : How long shold i break the 440 in for?

Honda400EXryd3r
12-26-2006, 11:56 PM
I just put my fourwheeler back to gether now it has a 11:1 440 big bore kit how should i break it in and for how long?? Thanks if you can help me.

400eXr1d3rZ
12-27-2006, 02:09 AM
Unless you have a cam, there's no need to break in anything. If you have an aftermarket cam, I believe this is for all camshafts, you need to stay above 3000rpm's for about 30 minutes. As for the piston, just ride normally, but push the quad harder than you have before, don't push yourself too hard, you might crash or something. Be careful.

250X_project
12-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Don't even consider that last comment..... Of coarse you need to break in a new piston and rings. You need to properly seat the rings. To do this....

Run conventional engine oil, not synthetic or a blend. Synthetic actually, lubricates too well and doesn't let the engine wear enough to even seat the rings in the bore.
Run 1/4 throttle and under, then 1/2 and under, then 3/4 and under. For each throttle position run until at full operating temp, let fully cool, then change the oil and filter(engine break-in causes oil to be contaminated w/ metal shavings). During this process vary the engine speed as much as you can. After this, change the oil in 1/2 the normal time. EX. after 5hrs when normally 10. After this things are back to normal. Ride it!
The heating and cooling of an engine (expanding and contracting of metal) is very important.

400eXr1d3rZ
12-27-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by 250X_project
Don't even consider that last comment..... Of coarse you need to break in a new piston and rings. You need to properly seat the rings. To do this....

Run conventional engine oil, not synthetic or a blend. Synthetic actually, lubricates too well and doesn't let the engine wear enough to even seat the rings in the bore.
Run 1/4 throttle and under, then 1/2 and under, then 3/4 and under. For each throttle position run until at full operating temp, let fully cool, then change the oil and filter(engine break-in causes oil to be contaminated w/ metal shavings). During this process vary the engine speed as much as you can. After this, change the oil in 1/2 the normal time. EX. after 5hrs when normally 10. After this things are back to normal. Ride it!
The heating and cooling of an engine (expanding and contracting of metal) is very important.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

CHEVYZ
12-27-2006, 04:21 PM
I have used many methods and have had good luck with all of them. I prefer to break in my bikes by running about 3 tanks of fuel through them, progressively increasing the amount of throttle given at each stage and by varying the throttle.

250X_project
12-27-2006, 05:09 PM
To each his own. This just makes abslutely no sense to me.

Wheelie
12-27-2006, 09:00 PM
During break in of my stroker: ran it for about 5-10minutes, let it completely cool down. Ran it for another 10min., changed the oil and filter, let it completely cool down. Rode it for 20 minutes and cool twice, changed the oil again. Rode it for about 2 hours and changed the oil again. Now I changed the oil in 15 hour intervals.

I didn't ride it hard for the first two hours, however, I did ocassionally give it 3/4 to full throttle in short bursts.

250X_project
12-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Now that sounds more like it. You sound like you know what you are doing.

PismoLocal
12-28-2006, 03:14 PM
When I rebuilt my motor with a fresh 440 piston and a Stage 2 cam I ran it for 10 minutes at around 1/2 throttle. I changed the oil and let it cool. I then started her back up and ran it for around 30 minutes at half throttle to make sure the cam was properly broken in. I finishd off the tank with light riding. I went home adjusted the valves. I took her out again the next day and ran through half a tank doing light to moderate cruising through the dunes, about mid day I couldn't stand it any more so I gave her hell for the rest of the tank and my quad still runs like a champ so I must have done something right :D

honda250xrider
12-28-2006, 05:16 PM
ran the living piss out of all my motors, have broken motors in with the couple gas tanks take it easy and from breaking it in on the track and I must say rpms is not going to hurt the motor as long as you do not stay at high rpm, You need to vary the rpms and this is why i think on the track is the best place to break in a motor. Also when you slow down let the motor do the work don't hold in on the clutch you are actually then just helping the sealing of the rings because you have force applying to the rings. no matter what if its going to break its going to break, every time i broke it in on the mx track i have had zero issues with sealing now with the taking it easy i have had problems with the rings actually sealing 100%. I guess whatever you want to do but dont be afraid to ride it hard, You have to ask yourself what's the difference in riding it easy now....... if something is caught or messed up its still going to break so riding it hard i think would have no effect on hurting your motor during breakin.

Mototune is where i first learned about this technique and I would recommend it to anyone.

Sjorge450R
12-29-2006, 08:00 AM
break it in like your going to ride it. I replaced the piston in my 300ex last winter. Put it in, then I just let her warm up. I ran a quick lap around the block as hard as I could. (dont worry there was no cars on the road. It was snowing an dthe cops dont care if we ride in the streets when it snows.) Pulled her out back. let her cool down. then Started it back up. Let her warm up and I did the same thing but I didnt stop right away. I rode her for about 25 min. I know this worked becasue we had to replace the countershaft after I was in a accident and when we pulled the top end apart, the piston looked brand new. the cylinder still had a perfect cross hatch. this is how I will continue to break in my quads. I dont believe in that two tanks of gas stuff. I dont know about you guys, but I cant ride a quad slow its just not my thing.

250exkid
01-01-2007, 02:15 PM
of course break it in. i would run like 2 maby 3 tanks of gas throught for a break in periode then change oil then your all set! like i always think when doing that i dont have the money to take chances better be safe then sorry ever quade is different! in ways