PDA

View Full Version : another ice racing question....

animal1
12-26-2006, 09:29 PM
what is everyone runnin for front tires with studs? would it be a bad setup to stud the stockies? i got 8" rear wheels wit the cheng shins for the rear...whats up for the fronts....

400excracer
12-27-2006, 11:11 AM
I wouldnt stud up the stock front tires. You need to find a tire with a stiff compound. I use three rib tractor tires, they work awsome.

animal1
12-27-2006, 08:31 PM
anyone else?

1fst400
12-28-2006, 06:52 AM
tractor tires? Yuck!! way to heavy.

I would say that you would want a tire that has continuous tread the whole way around the tire. that way a stud is always touching.

My budie ran some razar mx front tires that worked nice. The quad never pushed in the corners. I used kenda claw mx tires one year and they wher alright.

I would say that you would want a lite tire also, no need for extra weight. and a small diameter tire to keep you low to the ice. like a 20" for the fronts.

clutt225
12-28-2006, 04:57 PM
grooved radials with studs work well the compound is hard so it holds the studs well.
kenda claws work well that will be my next set up, easier to find than the radials.
right now I have duro g/p on the front and back but they have had some major carving to get the studs to the ice.
my opinion is the chen shins on the rear and the claws on the front, with alittle cuting they will work awsome.

animal1
12-29-2006, 10:26 AM
anyone else?