PDA

View Full Version : Good starter camera? Need some advice.

awsomeaussies
12-26-2006, 08:25 PM
I've been wanting to get a nice digital camera for a while... but not sure what would be the best for the money. I know I want to go with a bigger camera, but not a huge one. And I also want to stay around the price range of $500.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Sony DSC-H5. I could get it for around $400. It's 7.2 mega pixels, has a 2 1/2" LCD display, takes video, 12X zoom w/ 2X digital zoom, and has an anti shake feature. It also has the option to use rechargable batteries or could use any AA batteries, which is a big plus in my book. The detachable lens' are also very affordable.

I like that it takes very high quality videos and that it has several picture modes, such as a setting for low light. Which I diffenitly want because I like to take pictures at concerts. But I also want something that will work good when I go take pictures at the track.

I just want to make sure I pick the right one and that I wont be disappointed with it. So if anyone has any different recommendations or if they have tried this camera out, fill me in please:D

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/awsomeaussies206/camera-black.jpg

mx428
12-26-2006, 08:31 PM
I have an H5, i loved it, i only used it for a few weeks though. Then i got this. I have a fisheye and 70-200mm IS lens for it now too.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/Alloymx428/NEWCAMERA1111003.jpg

Pappy
12-26-2006, 08:32 PM
save just a little more and get a true Digital SLR such as the Canon Rebel or Nikon D80 or D70s. You will be much much happier and either of those two models can take pictures just as well as any pro camera on the market!

mx428
12-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
save just a little more and get a true Digital SLR such as the Canon Rebel or Nikon D80 or D70s. You will be much much happier and either of those two models can take pictures just as well as any pro camera on the market! Yup, the Canon Rebel uses the same sensor as the 20 and 30D, so it's much cheaper but still capable of capturing great images.

awsomeaussies
12-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Hows the Nikon D50 square up to the D70 or D80? Because I could get my hands on a new one for $404. Almost $300 off:eek2: The only downside is no video, but I don't think any SLR camera's have video:( Which I guess shouldn't stop me from buying a camera, I just wont be able to sneek any concert footage. lol

mx428
12-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by awsomeaussies
Hows the Nikon D50 square up to the D70 or D80? Because I could get my hands on a new one for $404. Almost $300 off:eek2: The only downside is no video, but I don't think any SLR camera's have video:( Which I guess shouldn't stop me from buying a camera, I just wont be able to sneek any concert footage. lol SLR's don't have video or any live preview LCD's ethier. A D50 is a great camera for a beginner.

SGA
12-26-2006, 09:10 PM
I have been looking at a new cameras also. I bought a 6 meg Sony last christmas and have not been too pleased with it. A point and shoot for about $190.
Good pics in general; bright outdoor light and close pics of subjects, but kind of dark blurry pics (with me sitting several rows back) at school plays and award funtions and under gym lighting. Ive tried all the settings but its not cutting it. My question is: Can I take clear pics in those conditions with a good camera and lense?

Pappy
12-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by awsomeaussies
Hows the Nikon D50 square up to the D70 or D80? Because I could get my hands on a new one for $404. Almost $300 off:eek2: The only downside is no video, but I don't think any SLR camera's have video:( Which I guess shouldn't stop me from buying a camera, I just wont be able to sneek any concert footage. lol

if i had to pick from those, the D70 or D80 would get the nod. I have a D70s that is my beater camera. it actually has a better processor and sensor then my more expensive d100. none of them work as well as my d200, but they all get the job done nicely.

my poor d100 has seen more dust and mud then most members quads, but so far has been capable of getting great shots for me, even after several years of ruff service and id geuss to say well over 70,000 pictures. i expect the same from my D70 and the D200

awsomeaussies
12-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the help:) Now the real hunt begins... where can I find it the cheapest:devil:

Pappy
12-27-2006, 03:25 PM
www.buydig.com

400exBro
12-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Canon 30D?

Or the new Canon Rebel XTI?

We are looking into either of these cameras, with the 30D looking more favorable due to its 5 FPS compared to the XTI 3 FPS.
But the XTI has some additional features like the self cleaning sensor.

Sorry for intruding this thread.

awsomeaussies
12-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by 400exBro
Does anyone have experience with the Canon 30D?

Or the new Canon Rebel XTI?

We are looking into either of these cameras, with the 30D looking more favorable due to its 5 FPS compared to the XTI 3 FPS.
But the XTI has some additional features like the self cleaning sensor.

Sorry for intruding this thread.

No prob, I got my question answered:)

fast250r
12-29-2006, 08:19 PM
I have a Rebel xt and an XTI. They are both great cameras for the money. My wife uses the XT and I use the XTI. I just got the XTI so I have very little picture tacking time on it. The XT though has gotten the job done with great results. I am very pleased with them. I got both of these new off of ebay. There are alot of great deals on ebay for these cameras.

fast250r
12-29-2006, 08:23 PM
action pics

fast250r
12-29-2006, 08:25 PM
one more