PDA

View Full Version : trouble starting

kcliff
12-26-2006, 05:15 PM
I just bought a used trx400ex 2007 and when ever I try and start it I cant get it to idle at all unless I go through about 3min worth of hitting the starter button and once it will idle I will take off slowly and run it then I wont have any problems at all for the rest of the day. The filter is clean, i use the choke and it only hassles me at start up. It will run a sec turn off then run 3sec then 2 sec very inconsistent and once it idles for 15sec i will run it to warm it up. It is virtually a new quad that I got at a good deal and it only gives me problems at start up. Is this normal with quads. I find it very odd to be that hard to start. I am in S. Texas and it is only 50-60 if that. I am goign to get a new exhaust and when I do I will order a jet kit. I read if I change the needle it will start easier. I cant believe a new quad would have this much trouble starting. thanks for any help. First thing I guess is to look at the spark plug maybe? But like i said the rest of the day after 30min of riding it starts fine. thanks

exrider23
12-26-2006, 07:21 PM
change the pilot jet to a 42..that helps

honda300EXtreme
12-26-2006, 07:54 PM
like you said replace the plug first, it could make all the difference in the world, its worth a try

Eviltanker
12-27-2006, 06:33 AM
I can't speak for the older 400's (pre '05) but the newer ones are very cold blooded. mine was the same till I got it tuned.