PDA

View Full Version : 440EX questions?

Steven
09-19-2002, 05:15 PM
Hello, my name is Steve and I'm new to the forum. I've been a quiet observer now for about 90 days and I've enjoyed all of your usefull chatter and discussion.

After much archive research and deliberation, I decided to fortify my 00' 400EX with a little more thrust.

Tomorrow I pick up my 400EX from the local Honda shop.

They have just installed a White Brothers 440 kit. To compliment the bore, I chose the 11:1 piston, WB race cam, and WB rev box. I finished the kit off with one colder range plug and the OMF air scoops. I will be running GT2 100 octane race gas sold here at the pump in Florida.

My first round of mods included the WB R4 Pro-meg complete exhaust and K&N Stage 2 jet kit with filter. As for tires, I ride on Pure Sport Bandit XCR's on all four corners.

What can I expect, good and bad from the transformation my bike just took.

Thanks for your input.

Steve

BTW... I have a portable GPS so I'll post a top speed reading when I get the bike broken and dialed in.

09-19-2002, 05:23 PM
well you can expect a big power change with your new 440 kit. Im saving up for a 426 kit, i rode one the other day and man, did that thing rip compared to the 400ex and the z400. ENJOY!

Steven
09-19-2002, 06:28 PM
Yea, the guys at the dealer told me the 426 runs just as good as the 440. As they described it, the 426 pulls harder on top and the 440 pulls harder on the bottom. Seems to make sense. I ride in the woods so the 440 seemed a more logical choice.

How is vibration with this kit and how soed the OEM clutch hold up?

Steve

oynot400
09-20-2002, 08:28 AM
I would not worry about vibration, these are well balanced motors. The stock clutch should hold up, in fact I bought a Barnett clutch and it didn't last a month. The stock fibers and plates are about the best you can get. If you do notice it start to slip put in heavier spring.
You will enjoy new set up, next you will want to look for a carb. :D You might want to hang on to you stock CDI box. I have heard of some starting problems with the WB CDI. :(
Welcome to the site and enjoy........:)

quadman21
09-20-2002, 09:03 AM
If your gonna ride the woods the 440 is a good choice. MUCH bottom end!

oynot400
09-20-2002, 09:40 AM
I for got to add, get hardend rockers with that cam. They may tell you that you don't need them, but you do. I had to replace mine this summer along with the cam. Did they put in the heavy duty springs for the valves? Also with that cam, it is more of a high rpm cam. So you will not have as much bottom end as someone with just a stock cam. But it will scream on mid and top end! :devil

BadA$$440
09-20-2002, 11:34 AM
Hey Steven, i see your from Florida to. Do you go to the FTR races? I will be at he next one in Lake Placid i think. If so what class are you in?

I will be putting in a 440kit along with a TC XC cam sometime soon hopefully.

Steven
09-20-2002, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the info on the clutch. If it goes out, I'll rebuild it with the OEM one.

On the carb, I read that the OEM carb is good enough to support
40 HP to the wheels??? .. and that if is overly sufficient.

In reference to the aftermarket valve springs, I was going to get the WB set but the directions that came with the WB cam said, "utilize the OEM valve springs only with this cam." So I am. If I had to guess as to why, I suspect WB knows that stiffer valve springs wear down the rockers prematurely due to the extra pressure.

I dont race... I just ride for fun.

Thanks for the input guys.

Steve