PDA

View Full Version : '06 450ER won't cold start

ssmith579
12-26-2006, 12:16 PM
I have a new (<300 miles) 450ER that just won't start when it's cold. I can crank until the battery runs out, 5 seconds at a time. Seems like it's just not pumping any gass when it cranks. If I hit the throttle a few times in between attemps it will fire but die right away. The only mod is a 42 leak jet to cure the throttle dead spot. Any suggestions on how to get this ting started?

schootar
12-26-2006, 02:53 PM
I've noticed that on my ER, if I let it sit for a while without starting, it won't start till I shut off the fuel, drain the carb and get fresh fuel in there.

Maybe try turning your idle up if you haven't already?

Good luck.

Kev
12-26-2006, 04:34 PM
Mine did the same when it sat in 20 degree weather. Had to set it next to the camp fire and after about 15 minutes it fired right up.

Since then I have noticed the valves were out of adjustment a bit. The plug needed to be replaced....

Just my 2 cents...

Kev

quad2xtreme
12-26-2006, 04:36 PM
If you still have the stock airbox cover on, put your hand over the intake hole. It will truly choke the engine so it fires. If you took the stock lid off, put it back on long enough to start it when it is cold.

/Jon

ssmith579
12-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Quaq2, great suggestion. I forgot about that trick. It does fire up when I do that but it dies as soon as the gas burns that it sucked in. I better check for a loose vacum hose or something around the carb. It's just not pumping fuel in like it should.

QuadRacer041
12-27-2006, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Kev
Mine did the same when it sat in 20 degree weather. Had to set it next to the camp fire and after about 15 minutes it fired right up.

Since then I have noticed the valves were out of adjustment a bit. The plug needed to be replaced....

Just my 2 cents...

Kev

i would have to agree with kev if quad2's idea doesnt work. mine started fine last winter but now i have some time on her and its hard to start cold. that suggest's it needs a valve adjustment.