PDA

View Full Version : secrets

yellow machine
09-19-2002, 03:48 PM
O.K. all you guys who ride the dunes I am looking for any secrets you can give on how to be quick in the sand, I am looking for all around performance ie: hill climb, drag race and speed.

I have been checking out the 426 kit and the 416kit, but no one in the powertrain forum wants to tell me the pros and cons. I am leaning towards the 426 just because not many people I have heard of, have it. I still want to hear from others. I am getting a hot cams stage 2. One of my friends has a 416 w/stage 2 set up, it runs pretty good. I would like to hear from someone who has a 426 w/stage 2 to tell me how it runs.

Please help me I am going to Little Sahara next month and would like to have made up my mind and put it in before then.:devil

New-400ex_guy
09-19-2002, 10:54 PM
go with the 416 kit you keep you stock sleeve and relability.

also if you go with the kit the best thing would be to port and polish the head, you will see the most gains from that, also you will have to go with a fcr 39mm or bigger carb, then your bike will rip, youll have no problem taking stock raptors, banshee's and youll be able to go fast in the dunes.

so 416 kit, cam, port polish job, fcr carb = fun dune machine :D

also go with the sparks X6 exhaust or other full pipe.

Big - D Racing
09-19-2002, 11:43 PM
I'll let you know a big secret, that will help you beat other 400ex's in drags or hillclimbs. Don't run a big paddle tire. The stock 400ex engine isn't strong enough for them. Too much paddle on an engine will make it slower. Too many times i go to the dunes and see a stock 400ex running Sand Skate II or a pair of 8 cup Haulers. A built 426 or bigger can handle those tires. Otherwise run like a 6 cup paddle or if you like the v paddles run a smaller version. You'll be surprised how much quicker your quad will be off the line if you go from a bigger paddle tire to a smaller one on a stock 400ex. I run Sand Skate II and hauler's for the drags, but I have a full race 440 kit. A 426 kit completely done up, should be able to handle Sand Skate II's. A lot of guys with big paddles on a stocker will say my bik does fine with them, tell them just do a trial run with a smaller paddle, that will shut them up.

Ride400exj
09-20-2002, 12:24 AM
i just gear down and run my sand skate II's it works fine i can beat most poeple on 400's off the line and in the long run tin the whoops most people are to drunk to hit the whoops hard thats were i get them but dont get 10 inch rims on .125 Ahhhh last tim i do that they bend like there is no tomarrow

maverick
09-22-2002, 09:05 PM
The best secret is to go ride the dunes. screw the hill and the sand drags....the 400ex holds its onw actually RIDING the dunes.

Chef
09-24-2002, 10:10 PM
um....my only secret is to take a good long pis$ before attempting big hills....

Castor-426ex
09-24-2002, 11:44 PM
nah alky he needs all the forward momentum he can get....**** piss if he dont make it:D

yellow machine
09-26-2002, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the advice,

I picked up a 14 tooth front sprocket, but I think I am going to hold off on changing to alky for now.

Me and about 6 friends are going down the weekend of the 25th anyone else from here heading out there that weekend?

:devil

yellow machine
09-26-2002, 04:50 PM
hey castor where are you from?

I live outside of Omaha in the sticks, REDNECK COUNTRY.

:devil