PDA

View Full Version : clutch problems

crash n burn
12-25-2006, 05:17 PM
well went to put on the flexx bars and i happened to pull in the clutch lever while the quad was in gear, and noticed it wasnt engaging. Then i adjusted the cable a little and it still didnt work but now i noticed the clutch lever just flops around, no matter how i adjust it. I dont know whats wrong, its not the cable or the lever I would like some additional input before i run to the dealer tomarrow.

Kev
12-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Sounds like the cable is bound up . Make sure it's not pinch from when you put on your new bars.. Does the lever down by the motor where the cable connects move?

450blj
12-25-2006, 05:54 PM
have you tryed to follow the clutch cable to the other end, i know after installing a cluth lever the cable sometimes comes lose on the other end.

crash n burn
12-25-2006, 06:48 PM
the cable is fine, the lever attached to the motor moves with no resistance at all, which makes me think its something in the motor.

eastside 400
12-25-2006, 07:04 PM
if the quad isnt running the clutch wont do anything really, the clutch and fluid needs to be warm to work without it running, start the quad up, put it in gear and hold the clutch, if it doesnt move, rev it and if it still doesnt move then everything is fine, make sure u do have some play in the lever tho, it should pull back a little like 1-2cm before engaging, the clutch lever usually wobbles up and down

DirtDevilBT
12-25-2006, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by crash n burn
the cable is fine, the lever attached to the motor moves with no resistance at all, which makes me think its something in the motor.

Can you (by hand) move the lever on the motor the same distance as you can with the clutch lever?

If you can move the motor side lever as much as the clutch lever on the handlebars can then you are right, there is somethig wrong with the insides of the clutch. Prolly the sping on the pushrod.

If you can't move the motor side lever than it might be something else. How many hours are on the bike and what kind of riding do you do?

crash n burn
12-26-2006, 07:39 AM
I have a year and a half on it and i race XC so its been ridden hard. I am 100% positive its in the motor, since I have today off I'm going to take a look at it. Thanks for the replies

N300exJ
12-26-2006, 07:51 PM
I put an aftermarket CRF clutch in my 450R. If your gonna take it all apart put that back in. The feel and resonse is soooo much better with a CRF clutch in there!

Sjorge450R
12-27-2006, 06:07 AM
or get a rekluse like me!

crash n burn
12-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
or get a rekluse like me!

I wish :(