PDA

View Full Version : remove powdercoat from threads, HOW?

banshee84
12-25-2006, 01:37 PM
what is the best way to remove powdercoat from the inside of a-arm threads? tap? paint thinner? torch?

Pappy
12-25-2006, 01:41 PM
a tap is best, but most of the time you can thread right through it. when it gets onto internal threads, rarely is it thick, and usually it doesnt adhere very well, so when the bolt is threaded it doesnt cause an issue

but seeing your dealing with a arms, you can use a small wire wheel on a dremel etc. ive seen folks strip ball joints due to this. Its best to get it out before attepmting to thread your ball joints etc

banshee84
12-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
a tap is best, but most of the time you can thread right through it. when it gets onto internal threads, rarely is it thick, and usually it doesnt adhere very well, so when the bolt is threaded it doesnt cause an issue

but seeing your dealing with a arms, you can use a small wire wheel on a dremel etc. ive seen folks strip ball joints due to this. Its best to get it out before attepmting to thread your ball joints etc

Yeah I don't want to try to thread the heim joints in before i get the PC out. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. merry x-mas

banshee84
12-26-2006, 10:37 PM
well the tap worked great, the only problem was the left handed threads on the tie rod ends. I used air plane paint remover on tie rod threads. It worked great. I am never taking my parts to that powdercoating place again.

N300exJ
12-27-2006, 06:37 AM
a tap will work or get some aircraft paint remover. Just get it in the threaded area and work it with a tiny soft bristle metal wire brush. That should do the trick.

250R-Dee
12-29-2006, 09:13 PM
If you use a tap make sure it's the "finishing" tap or a thread chaser. Make sure you use a good lubricant too.