PDA

View Full Version : got my first banshee today

fordhondarider
12-24-2006, 11:04 PM
I love this thing .It is a completely stock 03 I got for $2100 offoff my future brother in law.It does have a aftermarket bumper but the rest is stock.After riding my 400ex this thing is a completely different machine.I can't wait to start modding it but its gonna be a while.Does anyone think it's time for a top end rebuild or what.This is my first 2 stroke:confused:

firefighterjosh
12-25-2006, 12:39 AM
depends if the engines tires. Check the comprasion I belive it should be around 120 PSI per cyclinder. Pipes pistons, reeds, adjustible timing plate. Those all MAKE A HUGE!!!! diffrence.

12-25-2006, 07:04 AM
the biggest difference youll see is get a set of decent tires, even if they are the stock raptor tires...the stock banshee tires suck!

project_tecate
12-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
the biggest difference youll see is get a set of decent tires, even if they are the stock raptor tires...the stock banshee tires suck!

:eek2: huh? Biggest improvement is a set of pipes and a re-jet. Those stock pipes restrict a lot of power.

Also make sure you run a proper pre-mix with a good oil, none of that 2cycle crap you get from walmart. Good rule is to run it around a 32:1 mix

robjohn74
12-28-2006, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by project_tecate
:eek2: huh? Biggest improvement is a set of pipes and a re-jet. Those stock pipes restrict a lot of power.

Also make sure you run a proper pre-mix with a good oil, none of that 2cycle crap you get from walmart. Good rule is to run it around a 32:1 mix

i Agree

12-28-2006, 07:27 AM
yes pipes make a huge difference and so does porting.....but i would get a set of decent tires before spending 400 or 500 dollars

Xater
12-29-2006, 09:54 AM
pipes is the best improvent you can do to a 2 stroke! then some +2 a-ams on some shocks. then some tires

12-29-2006, 10:17 AM
porting is a big one too...it can make or break a motor set up

project_tecate
12-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Honda86
yes pipes make a huge difference and so does porting.....but i would get a set of decent tires before spending 400 or 500 dollars

Tires will help some but you burn through tires fairly easily anyhow so get the bigger better stuff out of the way first. I also agree on shock and a-arm set-up as a huge improvement but that costs a decent penny

fordhondarider
01-02-2007, 09:00 PM
Alright guys Thanks for the info.I decided on klotz techniplate 32:1.I agree the stock tires really do suck but if they wear fast like everyone says then I can wait.Whats the deal with the shocks on these things.They suck big time.I thought the stock shocks on my 400ex were kinda crappy but there a lot better then the banshee ones.I might try the yfz 450 swap for now.I'm a bigger guy wieghing in at 210lbs without riding gear so when I get on this thing it squats big time and I have the preloads cranked front and rear.Helped a little but it still squats bad

TWILES
01-07-2007, 08:39 PM
I was a little heavier than you (220) when I bought mine. I wasn't too upset about the shocks. They aren't the greatest. but the harder you ride them the better they feel. If your not planning to really ride it fast you'd be better off getting new ones. I saw that you can take the complete front-end off a YFZ and put it right on a Banshee, shocks and all. I think an awesome set-up would be the YFZ front-end and that new ELKA link that is supposed to give you like a foot of rear end travel and a good set of Elka shocks. I wish that linkage had been out when I had mine 3 years ago.