PDA

View Full Version : How to remove the bearing holder??

Punk'd
12-24-2006, 05:31 PM
This thing wont budge!!

Also my chain adjuster will only move a centimeter if that and im hammering on it.

The axle had a little wiggle to it so im replaceing all the bearings.

Can someone help?

Dave400ex
12-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Your talking about the carrier right? Did you remove the cir-clip that holds the caliper stay on? After that the only thing that should hold up the carrier would be the pinch bolts.

450RGNCC
12-24-2006, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Your talking about the carrier right? Did you remove the cir-clip that holds the caliper stay on? After that the only thing that should hold up the carrier would be the pinch bolts.
Once you do that, and if it still doesnt move, just get the biggest dead blow hammer u got and start swingin. If you dont have a big deadblow, you can use a metal hammer, just put a small piece of wood on the carrier where you are hitting it, so that you dont damage the carrier.

Punk'd
12-24-2006, 08:49 PM
I got it after about a hour of unloading on the old hammer lol.. Jeeze what a nightmare (never removed before...2004)

She was bone dry.. Maybe this is why I couldnt tighten or loosen my chain ehh??:mad:

New bearings and seals on the way. Whats the best tool to remove the bearings? Can I get one at the local hardware store?

Thanks guys

450RGNCC
12-25-2006, 07:49 AM
I just use a long drift punch, put it through the carrier, and punch out the bearing on the opposite side from the one that you are looking at. You have to try and move the metal sleeve out of the way on the inside to try and get to the lip of the bearing. Have fun, if you have never changed out your bearings before they will be nice and stuck in there :devil:. It may help if you put a little bit of heat around the outside of the carrier too.

scubasteve450r
12-25-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd
I got it after about a hour of unloading on the old hammer lol.. Jeeze what a nightmare (never removed before...2004)

She was bone dry.. Maybe this is why I couldnt tighten or loosen my chain ehh??:mad:

New bearings and seals on the way. Whats the best tool to remove the bearings? Can I get one at the local hardware store?

Thanks guys

i usally heat the outside of the carrier right at the bearing {not too hot where you melt it or something} then position two pieces of wood so that when holding the carrier vertically i can hit it on the two pieces of wood and the bearing will be centered between them as it comes out. sorry if that sounds a little confusing.:ermm: