PDA

View Full Version : 250r running off

slowjoe
12-24-2006, 02:16 PM
after every ride i always have turned the fuel off while my r is still idleing to let the carb run out of fuel. this was recommended to me by our mechanic where i work. his reason was that the fuel mixture would varnish the jets in the carb and effect performance.

well, yesterday while doing this the rpms kept getting higher and higher. by the time i could get over to the quad it was reving as high as wot. i pulled the tether and it didnt quit, i had to put it in gear and dump the clutch to stall it. when i turned the fuel back on it started right up first kick and seemed to be fine.

our mechanic said it was running off on its own fumes. i guess i believe him but has anyone else had this happen to them?

btw, i will be draining the carb from the plug on the bottom from now on.

Dave83
12-24-2006, 07:46 PM
It went lean.I dont agree with running it out of gas like that.Just seems like a good way to cook the top end.

Kirt13
12-24-2006, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't totally run the carb dry. It is a good idea to turn the petcock to off and run the motor for a minute or so. This keeps the gas in the carb from messing with the adjustment on the floats. If this happens, the moror will run rich and you will not be able to fix it by adjusting the jets. It will run rich and you wouln't figure out why.
This just happend to me. The carb was running rich and I couldn't figure out why. I changed jets all around and it was still running rich. The floats just needed to be adjusted.

atc250
12-25-2006, 05:14 PM
I wouldnt recomend anybody to run a 2 stroke out of gas everytime you park it, the gas is what lubes and cools the motor. Also with the gas oil mix in the carbs I dont think it varnishes as fast as straight gas.