PDA

View Full Version : question about Impact wrenches

QuadJunkies
12-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Im looking into buying a cordless impact wrench,the one we have now is a plug in and Ill need a cordless for taking to the track .
I need an affordable one and wasnt sure where the best place was to look???:confused:
It doesnt have to be heavy duty,just reliable brand .Its mainly for my kids Minis(the clutches) so that were not stranded at the track
We have been lucky so far and only needed one once, but were traveling ALOT further out this year

Any suggestions?

Rastus
12-23-2006, 09:23 PM
I know Dewalt makes a nice 18V cordless impact, but I don't know the exact price. There are a few options out there as far as power,etc.

I really don't know of anyone else who makes a comparable 1/2" drive cordless impact. I haven't run across one locally or on the 'net. :confused:

MotoX3
12-23-2006, 09:31 PM
We use Makita and Dewalt building bins...they're both tough, but I couldn't tell ya how much they cost, I didn't buy em:blah: ....I'd say you'd be safe with any major brand..

QuadJunkies
12-23-2006, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by MotoX3
We use Makita and Dewalt building bins...they're both tough, but I couldn't tell ya how much they cost, I didn't buy em:blah: ....I'd say you'd be safe with any major brand..
Im not finding anything locally
I havent checked Sears yet though.

QuadJunkies
12-23-2006, 09:35 PM
hmmm

I found a few here!:)
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=cordless+impact+wrench&category0=

HiperEX
12-23-2006, 09:51 PM
I have a dewalt 14.4 volt 1/2 drive works like a charm, comes in good hand:macho

Ron89
12-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Be careful with what you buy. My teacher has used many of them and said they are completely useless and junk.

QuadJunkies
12-24-2006, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Ron89
Be careful with what you buy. My teacher has used many of them and said they are completely useless and junk.
What are useless??An impact wrench??

We could not race our minis if we didnt have an impact wrench!
They are a MUST HAVE

Guy400
12-24-2006, 04:58 AM
Tina, have you considered buying a cheaper generator and bringing that to the track with you? That way you'd have electric for any power tool you want to bring. I bought a U.S. General Thunderbolt generator from Harbor Freight because it was on sale one day when I was in there for $450. It's got an 11hp engine (I think Subaru makes it) and 5200 watts of power. I've lost power to my whole house before and I've thrown the main breaker off, and then back fed the electric from the generator through my 220v welder line and powered my furnace, refridgerators, microwave and entertainment center with no problem. The great part with my generator is I can buy 3 of these for the price of one Honda. My uncle's HVAC company now buys these because they're so much cheaper than the Honda's he used to use and they put up with the abuse just as well. They get run all day long on new construction job sites and they're powering jackhammers and huge boring drills. Here's the link to mine except mine's red and these new ones are yellow but the specs are the same.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3708
Compare the price of that one to the less powerful Honda...
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=eg5000

Sjorge450R
12-24-2006, 07:20 AM
i use a Craftsmen 18v when I got to my friends to work on my quad. My mom bought me the 24v one from Pepboys for Xmas, but we know someone with it already, and it performs just as good as the Craftsmen. The craftsmen was like $350 and the one i got was like $75

wvspeedfreak
12-24-2006, 08:24 AM
QJ,I have a Snap on one for my personal use and track use.It is super powerful and well built but expensive.The shop I work at has Ingersoll Rand cordless impacts and if I had it to do over that is what I would buy.They are just as strong and reliable but half the price.

AtvMxRider
12-24-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
QJ,I have a Snap on one for my personal use and track use.It is super powerful and well built but expensive.The shop I work at has Ingersoll Rand cordless impacts and if I had it to do over that is what I would buy.They are just as strong and reliable but half the price.

I have a snap-on one also and rarely use it. I agree with Guy QJ you would be better off with a small generator and using your electric one they have more power anyway.

QuadJunkies
12-24-2006, 11:41 AM
Thats more expense than I can swing right now, not to mention were low on space and weight or we would go that route.
We can always upgrade later on when we get an bigger trailer

bayou boy
12-24-2006, 12:32 PM
i have one of those cummins 24v that they sell at the tool shows it was like $100. so far almost 1 yr and it still works great. i just use it when we are away from home to swap tires. sure make tire changes fast and ez

400eXr1d3rZ
12-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by bayou boy
i have one of those cummins 24v that they sell at the tool shows it was like $100. so far almost 1 yr and it still works great. i just use it when we are away from home to swap tires. sure make tire changes fast and ez

Sure are :D

knighttime
12-24-2006, 05:44 PM
would the battery have enough power to rotate a set of truck tires???:confused:

SRH
12-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by HiperEX
I have a dewalt 14.4 volt 1/2 drive works like a charm, comes in good hand:macho

there really handy for there size, batterylife is good as long as your not doing 50 lags into wood one after another, and there tough as hell, now i dont know how much torque you can expect to get from it, but the 18v and up are really powerful

dewalt is the way to go for cordless

Sjorge450R
12-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
would the battery have enough power to rotate a set of truck tires???:confused:

yeah. My friends craftsmen does.

JOEX
12-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Tina, have you considered buying a cheaper generator and bringing that to the track with you? That way you'd have electric for any power tool you want to bring. I bought a U.S. General Thunderbolt generator from Harbor Freight because it was on sale one day when I was in there for $450. It's got an 11hp engine (I think Subaru makes it) and 5200 watts of power. I've lost power to my whole house before and I've thrown the main breaker off, and then back fed the electric from the generator through my 220v welder line and powered my furnace, refridgerators, microwave and entertainment center with no problem. The great part with my generator is I can buy 3 of these for the price of one Honda. My uncle's HVAC company now buys these because they're so much cheaper than the Honda's he used to use and they put up with the abuse just as well. They get run all day long on new construction job sites and they're powering jackhammers and huge boring drills. Here's the link to mine except mine's red and these new ones are yellow but the specs are the same.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3708
Compare the price of that one to the less powerful Honda...
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=eg5000
What's the noise level compared to the Honda?

Guy400
12-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
What's the noise level compared to the Honda? I don't know the actual dB level but they're pretty close. What seems to make the most difference is what it's sitting on. If it's on concrete or plywood the vibration from the frame tubes gets pretty loud. If it's sitting in grass, dirt or on some type of pneumatic-tired cart it's relatively quiet.

QuadJunkies
12-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Sounds like the DeWalt is what we need :)

knighttime
12-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies

i think the 18v DeWalt cordless impact is $300.00:cuss:

Ron89
12-24-2006, 09:53 PM
What are useless??An impact wrench??

We could not race our minis if we didnt have an impact wrench!
They are a MUST HAVE
Nooo...Battery operated ones. I'm not saying all of them are bad but don't buy the cheapo ones. I was told by a lot of people that use this stuff daily that they are just too weak but this is in a dealership. I guess it would do on a small quad or something. I personally have no experience with them but I'm just passing on what I was told. I would bet some of the name brand ones will suit your needs though.

QuadJunkies
12-24-2006, 10:37 PM
I saw several that was under that price
http://cgi.ebay.com/DeWALT-DW059-18V-Cordless-Impact-Torque-Wrench-NEW_W0QQitemZ120066495617QQihZ002QQcategoryZ46581Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

knighttime
12-24-2006, 10:56 PM
I saw several that was under that price
http://cgi.ebay.com/DeWALT-DW059-18V-Cordless-Impact-Torque-Wrench-NEW_W0QQitemZ120066495617QQihZ002QQcategoryZ46581Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats alot better than i thought :eek2:

I already have 2 batteries that will fit that so i may get that one.

thanks quadjunkie:D

MOFO
12-25-2006, 06:19 AM
My father has a DeWalt 18v impact. Given its not used very much, but when it is used, it has quite a bit of power for a battery gun.

Another vote for the DeWalt 18v. :)

12-25-2006, 08:36 AM

Dewalt is good but Hitachi is the best! I bought a 14.4 volt Hitachi and love it. It also has a better warranty (5 years vs. I believe only 2 for Dewalt) than all the Dewalt products. Go to a place that sells both and ask them, they all will say the Hitachi is a much better quality product.

QuadJunkies
12-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Thank you,as always everyone was very helpful :)

Sjorge450R
12-25-2006, 04:24 PM
my mom bought me the one from Pep boys for Xmas and I used it today alot. Changed fronts shocks, change two sets of wheels on a quad and changed a set of trike wheels as well> Still has plenty of juice.

TRX250X
12-28-2006, 08:39 AM
If you already have the DeWalt batteries it is definitely worth finding the DeWalt. I used to use one at work quite a bit and it was a great tool.

Quad18star
12-28-2006, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't buy anything under 18v .

Woodsrider
12-28-2006, 09:23 AM
QJ if you havent made a purchase yet, look into Ingersol rand and Millwalki (sp) as well. I beleive both are made by the same company. but any way both are more affordable than the Dewalt and every bit as good. For a pit tool you dont need anything more than a 3/8 drive, as there should be nothining on a mini torqued at over 100 ftlbs.
I have a Snapon 3/8 with both an 18 and a 14.4 battery(its rated at 14.4). with the 14.4 battery it will take all 24 lugnuts off of our Durango with no problem.
It goes in my road box all the time.
Look at maxtool.com and search "cordless impact"
I can't seem to get the link to work.:confused:

QuadJunkies
12-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
QJ if you havent made a purchase yet, look into Ingersol rand and Millwalki (sp) as well. I beleive both are made by the same company. but any way both are more affordable than the Dewalt and every bit as good. For a pit tool you dont need anything more than a 3/8 drive, as there should be nothining on a mini torqued at over 100 ftlbs.
I have a Snapon 3/8 with both an 18 and a 14.4 battery(its rated at 14.4). with the 14.4 battery it will take all 24 lugnuts off of our Durango with no problem.
It goes in my road box all the time.
Look at maxtool.com and search "cordless impact"
I can't seem to get the link to work.:confused:
Thank you!
Hows the price range on them? I didnt see a price on the link

I always thought Dewalt was reliable brand?
I will check those out soon as I want them before next month

Woodsrider
12-28-2006, 09:35 AM
here (http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product3_27_40027_-1_284542_281126_189329_362) is the millwalkee its only 88ftlbs but thats plenty for a mini quad;)

Woodsrider
12-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Thank you!
Hows the price range on them?

I always thought Dewalt was reliable brand?
I will check those out soon as I want them before next month

Dewalt is very reliable, but very spendy too. The IR at maxtool.com is 269.00 with two batteries,a charger, and a blowmolded case. the link to the millwalkee does not have a price but will show you where you can buy one near you.

QuadJunkies
12-28-2006, 09:40 AM
The Dewalts on Ebay Stores run half that price for the 18V and I already have the 3/8 at home from the plug one we have .:)

Woodsrider
12-28-2006, 09:44 AM
If you go to maxtool.com and type IR2512K into the search block, it will take you right to it with the price. I have ordered tools from them before and got them faster than my local tool truck could.

Woodsrider
12-28-2006, 09:46 AM
The Dewalts on Ebay Stores run half that price for the 18V and I already have the 3/8 at home from the plug one we have .:)
Wow if the dewalt is that cheap on ebay Id say go that route. then you also have the availability of new batteries at home depot;)

I will say this, once Troy has one, he'll wonder how in the world he ever got anything done without it. I use mine all the time just so I dont have to drag out an air hose:D

QuadJunkies
12-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Woodsrider
Wow if the dewalt is that cheap on ebay Id say go that route. then you also have the availability of new batteries at home depot;)

I will say this, once Troy has one, he'll wonder how in the world he ever got anything done without it. I use mine all the time just so I dont have to drag out an air hose:D
hes been wanting one for a LOOONG time, but always seems to be something else is needed and it gets brushed under the carpet:p
Now that were travleing very long distances fort he kids and himself to race, we need something portable
Hers the link I found on Ebay,Im assuming those are complete for the price
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=cordless+impact+wrench

Woodsrider
12-28-2006, 10:01 AM
this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dewalt-1-2-Drive-Cordless-Impact-Wrench-14-4-Volt_W0QQitemZ160065763387QQihZ006QQcategoryZ632QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) is a good deal, and 130 ftlbs is plenty strong enough for the quads.:macho

coolguy8769
12-28-2006, 10:02 AM
i have a question.....

what is the defference between an impact drill and just a regular cordless drill?

would it be a bad idea just just use a cordless drill?
kinda like this http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1068460188.1167326505@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddjkfmlhdmcgelceffdfgidgnj.0&MID=9876

DieselBoy
12-28-2006, 05:11 PM
ummmm but how much FT/LB. of torque? thats extremely important on impact guns.....

Stevie-D
12-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Dewalt is good but Hitachi is the best! I bought a 14.4 volt Hitachi and love it. It also has a better warranty (5 years vs. I believe only 2 for Dewalt) than all the Dewalt products. Go to a place that sells both and ask them, they all will say the Hitachi is a much better quality product.

im going to back this statement up. i use a mix of makita, dewalt, and hitachi tools for my job (interior trimwork & railings) and i'd have to say that the hitachi is the best of the three. a bit pricey ($500+ for a dual compound sliding mitre box) but the quality is definately there in all the products that i've used.

hitachi definately gets 2 thumbs up

bayou boy
12-28-2006, 07:30 PM
are the ones on ebay new or refurbished?

QuadJunkies
12-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by bayou boy
are the ones on ebay new or refurbished?
they state all of them are NEW.

CDCHONDAS
12-29-2006, 06:20 AM
I have a milwaukee 14.4 and a makita 12v, the mil is 3/8 drive and the makita is 1/4 hex, the milwaukee has been a great gun 90% of the time has plenty of power, works great for changing tires and all, i use it every day and the reversible battery pack is sweet. the ingersol is what i was going to get next but from what i am hearing its not got the quality it should but i cant personally vouch. 3/8 drive is probably what your going to want on an atv, thats my preference anyways. my next one will be another milwaukee or a snap-on, probably the snap-on to try it

Woodsrider
12-29-2006, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by CDCHONDAS
I have a milwaukee 14.4 and a makita 12v, the mil is 3/8 drive and the makita is 1/4 hex, the milwaukee has been a great gun 90% of the time has plenty of power, works great for changing tires and all, i use it every day and the reversible battery pack is sweet. the ingersol is what i was going to get next but from what i am hearing its not got the quality it should but i cant personally vouch. 3/8 drive is probably what your going to want on an atv, thats my preference anyways. my next one will be another milwaukee or a snap-on, probably the snap-on to try it

I absolutly love my Snap-On 3/8. Ive been really impressed with the life of the batteries and the amount of cycles you get out of them. While I was wrenching proffesionally I used it every day, all day long to avoid dragging an air hose all around a car. now it barely gets used at all in comparison, maybe two to three times a week around the house putsin' around on the quads or the cars.
If its within your budget, you wouldnt regret your purchase.

12-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
im going to back this statement up. i use a mix of makita, dewalt, and hitachi tools for my job (interior trimwork & railings) and i'd have to say that the hitachi is the best of the three. a bit pricey ($500+ for a dual compound sliding mitre box) but the quality is definately there in all the products that i've used.

hitachi definately gets 2 thumbs up

I picked up my Hitachi on ebay with two battery packs, plus charger, everything brand new for under $150. The Hitachi also has a small led that illuminates your work area, that comes in real handy taking lug nuts off in the dark!

12-29-2006, 09:01 AM
Be careful and don't confuse impact drivers with impact wrenches! There is a difference!

QuadJunkies
12-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Kyle_TQRA
Be careful and don't confuse impact drivers with impact wrenches! There is a difference!

I seen several items on there that said"Impact wrench DRILL" thehead looked different ,so I was thinking of this one??

Woodsrider, what do you think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Milwaukee-9082-22-14-4V-Cordless-3-8-Impact-Wrench-NEW_W0QQitemZ130062988619QQihZ003QQcategoryZ61574Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I dont have time to bid on them so I wanted to to just buy it unless you think I can find a better price somewhere else??

A 12 or 14V will be PLENTY for the minis

Woodsrider
12-29-2006, 11:40 AM
Id buy it;) Thats a good deal. you'll do fine with that.

Woodsrider
12-29-2006, 11:54 AM
As a side note, you'll be happier with a 3/8 drive, because the most common socket drive is 3/8. meaning the majority of the sockets Troy uses are probably 3/8 drive. This means you wont have to run a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer most of the time.

bulkdriverlp
12-29-2006, 01:33 PM
snap-on tools are built for PROFESSIONAL use, somebody who uses their tools to make a living. not practical for atv racer.

dewalt is made by black and decker. they are the HIGH END version. b&d good occasional use tool. homeowner. not for somebody who needs it to work flawless.

i myself have a milwaukee sawsall and corded 3/8 chuck drill. wouldnt have anything else.

you dont need 1/2 inch drive for atv lug nuts, jeees you could prolly do it with 1/4. (overkill 1/2 inch drive for sure) jmo

scramblerracer
12-29-2006, 07:22 PM
I am a pipefitter and we use cordless impacts for many things. We have had the 1/2 inch 18 volt dewalt and the 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch 18 volt Milwaukee but the one to have now is the 28 volt Lithium Ion Milwaukee. It has more torque than the plug in 1/2 inch dewalt and Milwaukee impacts and the batteries will last quite a while. The batteries also have a button you push that shows how much charge is left. I can't wait until they come down in price so I can get one for home. Otherwise I have a 1/4 inch Ryobi impact driver that will take lug nuts off and small things like that but is not very heavy duty.

Sjorge450R
12-29-2006, 07:47 PM
I seen several items on there that said"Impact wrench DRILL" thehead looked different ,so I was thinking of this one??

Woodsrider, what do you think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Milwaukee-9082-22-14-4V-Cordless-3-8-Impact-Wrench-NEW_W0QQitemZ130062988619QQihZ003QQcategoryZ61574Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I dont have time to bid on them so I wanted to to just buy it unless you think I can find a better price somewhere else??

A 12 or 14V will be PLENTY for the minis

back in my mini days I used to use the 18V craftsman on like everything in the clutch. Defnetly get a higher output. I like the one I got from Pep boys. The thing is amazing and as long as it stays strong I will classify it better than the craftsman one.

D-7#61-450r
12-29-2006, 08:04 PM
I am a mechanic and have been one for years. I once considererd my right hand a hammer. A year ago I bought a 3/8 cordless ingersol and that is my new right hand. I have compared alot of cordless impacts for the last few years and out of all the ones I have used hands down the best bang for your buck is the makita 3/8. It has as much power as my bulky ingersol, it is light wieght and small in size compared to alot of 14.4v, great battery life, two small led lights ( don't sound like much but they are handy in dim lighting), also in a kit with drill light and two 14.4v batteries it is only around $320. At the national races last year my ingersol was heaven sent for alot of small items. I bought ingersol because they make great impacts, but makita has always made great battery powerd items. My major suggestion to you is buy a name brand 14.4v or higher 3/8 impact. 1/2 is to strong for your use. Also I do love my dewalt drill but they were not making a 14.4v 3/8 impact, not sure if they are now.