PDA

View Full Version : Cam Mod?

Bigun55
12-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Allright now im just kinda curious on what a Cam Mod is for a YFZ? I have seen alot of peaple on this site that has it done to there YFZ. And i know a guy that has it done to his also but i still dont really know what it is? Can someone fill me in on it and tell me if i should do it to mine or not. They guy that has it done to his said he will to it to mine for free.

honda300EXtreme
12-23-2006, 03:53 PM
the only thing i can think of is an after market cam such as a hotcam, other than that i dont know

cals400ex
12-23-2006, 04:25 PM
you actually take the exhaust cam and rotate one tooth to be retarded. that is, moving the whole cam and sprocket. it will provide more high rpm power. some people don't like it for trails because some claim it takes away a little torque at low rpms.

Bigun55
12-24-2006, 06:49 AM
Let me hear some more opinions on this.... Is there anyone else here that knows anything about it?

Bill Fuller
12-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Just as Cals400ex stated, the cam mod is mainly for MX. Laz from GT Thunder says that the stock cam setup is best for XC racing.

underpowered
12-24-2006, 09:15 AM
it really wakes the YFZ up. it gives it a lot more top end power, makes it snappier on top. i ahve not ridden many YFZ but have ridden some with it done and it is great, but like others have said it does take away some low end. i think for your riding style you would be fine with it, it may just take a little gettin used to.

jeremy_283
12-24-2006, 09:18 AM
they had an article about it in quad magazine

cals400ex
12-24-2006, 09:33 AM
it is a very very common process. anyone that knows anything technical about the yfz knows about the cam mod. so, it is something tried and is safe to do.

06YFZ450SE
12-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
it is a very very common process. anyone that knows anything technical about the yfz knows about the cam mod. so, it is something tried and is safe to do.

Ya it wakes it up. And it is save to do it sets the timing to the YZF450F motor. I have rode one with the Cam mod,ESR pipe jetted and a K&N filter and I can tell alot of diff in torque and HP on top. Iam getting ready to do it to mine.

H_W
12-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Cals400ex and 06YFZ450SE are exactly right. I did it to mine and I love it. It really woke it up on top end. I did not notice a loss on bottom, but it could be because I have not had it very long and did not get used to it before doing it.

Bigun55
12-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Well as soon as i get my YFZ fixed i will do the cam mod to it. I have to take it to the shop tomarrow because it locked up on me yesterday. I have no idea what made it do it. The oil is fine, its full, and the oil is clean in it. And just all at once and quit and wouldnt start back.

06YFZ450SE
12-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Bigun55
Well as soon as i get my YFZ fixed i will do the cam mod to it. I have to take it to the shop tomarrow because it locked up on me yesterday. I have no idea what made it do it. The oil is fine, its full, and the oil is clean in it. And just all at once and quit and wouldnt start back.

Sorry to here about thats good luc hope its nothing major. Ya the cam mod is good mod and its free.

06YFZ450SE
12-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Bigun55

Sorry to here about thats good luck hope its nothing major. Ya the cam mod is good mod and its free.