PDA

View Full Version : goggle tear offs

pimpin330ex
12-23-2006, 09:35 AM
i want to get some but i have a few questions first. do they replace the lens or just go over it? are they worth the money? and how do they attach?

SWIGIN
12-23-2006, 10:05 AM
i use scott quick loads

they come with a lens with a frame around it so the tear offs go on real easy and nothing gets between them

but i dont know if they make them any more

CannondaleRider
12-23-2006, 12:21 PM
If your lense doesn't have the tearoff pins, then you will need to get a new lense, but only one.

The tearoffs attach to the lens with the two pins that come out of the outer edge.

With most tearoffs, even if they fit very tight together, the light will refract and your vision will be distorted, I put about 6-7 on, and thats all, otherwise, it ups the eye fatigue.

If that is a problem for you, it's possible you can get, say, Scott Prostack tearoffs. They are a stack of laminated tearoffs which stops the light from refracting so bad, so you can put MANY more on, without distortion.

What is your goggle setup now? If it happens to be a Scott goggle, you can easily buy a WORKS lense kit, which is the ultimate setup, in my mind.

pimpin330ex
12-23-2006, 05:52 PM
yahh i have scott goggles. how much does it cost for everything i will need and do i need new frames?

12-23-2006, 05:58 PM
whats the point of the tear offs?

fastyz85
12-23-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by shavedeclipse
whats the point of the tear offs?

so when your googles get all muddy and you can't see just tear off the extra lens and walla you can see again

mx428
12-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Like Cdalerider said, light refracts between the tearoffs making it hard to see. With the lamination of the tearoffs, with Scotts 3 tearoffs come laminated in 1 stack, with Oakleys and Spy's 7 tearoffs are laminated together. I use oakleys, i've gotten 6 stacks of 7 laminated tearoffs on my goggles at once without much distortion in sight. Although laminated tearoffs are much much more expensive ($26 for a pack of 28 tearoffs as opposed to $25 for a 50 pack, i'd say if you're racing it's well worth it.

Sjorge450R
12-24-2006, 07:24 AM
just get some Roll-offs!
I have three pairs and I love them. I never ride without them.

mx428
12-24-2006, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
just get some Roll-offs!
I have three pairs and I love them. I never ride without them. Rolloffs aren't really practical for anything but heavy mud.

Sjorge450R
12-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by mx428
Rolloffs aren't really practical for anything but heavy mud.

nah they are all the time riding goggles. What wrong with them that makes them not good for dust/ dry conditions. you just dont have to pull the string....lol. I love them and they are even nicer when you use tear offs on top. that way I can have like a new pair of goggles for practically 1/2 my race.

eastside 400
12-24-2006, 10:28 AM
roll offs are good in any wet condition until the water and mud gets behind the film, wants that happens they are worthless, also they dont work too good in dust but i def keep a pair for mud, tearoffs work good but u gotta be gentle tearing them off cuz they sometimes stick together and u end up pulling a couple off at a time, if u race i would make sure to get roll offs and tearoff goggles

Sjorge450R
12-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by eastside 400
roll offs are good in any wet condition until the water and mud gets behind the film, wants that happens they are worthless, also they dont work too good in dust but i def keep a pair for mud, tearoffs work good but u gotta be gentle tearing them off cuz they sometimes stick together and u end up pulling a couple off at a time, if u race i would make sure to get roll offs and tearoff goggles

use a mud flap on the goggles and no mud will get behind the film.

eastside 400
12-24-2006, 11:49 AM
i use the mud flap and it still does...