PDA

View Full Version : Tips for getting headpipe back on?

400eXr1d3rZ
12-22-2006, 08:40 PM
I just got a sparks full system, with no hardware, it's a brand new piipe. The stock headpipe is a ***** to get on and off, and this header is even worse. Any tips on how to get it on? Also, seems like the head-stud things are bent (what the header bolts to) and also i can't get the stock exhaust gaskets out, I don't even see them, I have no clue waht they look like because in the port everything looks the same lol.

zrpilot
12-22-2006, 09:12 PM
I just had three of the four exhaust studs replaced because they were bent from over tightening! They were put on that way from the factory! As a matter of fact I had to cut the flanges off my old header to get it off the head because they were also bent!!! WTF Honda, quit letting gorillas tighten exhausts on!

The exhaust gaskets are there. They are normally a copper color. I had to use a pick and a small flat blade screw driver to get them out. Once I got them out they were ruined and I had to buy new ones

400eXr1d3rZ
12-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot
I just had three of the four exhaust studs replaced because they were bent from over tightening! They were put on that way from the factory! As a matter of fact I had to cut the flanges off my old header to get it off the head because they were also bent!!! WTF Honda, quit letting gorillas tighten exhausts on!

The exhaust gaskets are there. They are normally a copper color. I had to use a pick and a small flat blade screw driver to get them out. Once I got them out they were ruined and I had to buy new ones

How did you get them replaced? I didn't know they were removable.

zrpilot
12-23-2006, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
How did you get them replaced? I didn't know they were removable.
I simply used two nuts that have the M6X1 thread. Threaded them on the stud and tightened them together. Then using a fuel line wrench, I turned the "bottom" nut CCW and the stud came out of the head. I got new studs at the Honda dealer for $.95 each. Used a little blue locktite and used my 2 M6X1 nuts and threaded them back in using the reverse procedure above.

Good luck, I think I got lucky cause mine all came out pretty easy.

Or you could take your head into the shop and pay someone to do it.