PDA

View Full Version : 06er wont start hot. please help!

scubasteve450r
12-22-2006, 08:23 PM
I have an o6er. it starts great when it is cold. it also starts good hot if you just turn the key off when ideling, but when i snub it i might as whell grab a snickers. i have a kicker on it, hrc kit, stock pipe gutted, can't remember what my jetting is without looking, and the head is ported. i have two buddys that bought theirs at the same time and have the same problem they just have the hrc kit. I have tryed playing with the decompression and that didin't help. anybody have this problem and cure it?

400exrider0004
12-22-2006, 09:17 PM
have you tried starting the bike with the kicker when its hot?

TWILES
12-23-2006, 07:58 AM
I have a 2005 Wr450f dirt bike with basically the same motor as the YZ and YFZ and I don't understand why the quads don't come with the hot start when they have electric starters. My WR has both kick and electric and when its HOT it does not start without pulling the hotstart lever. Our 04 450R won't start when its hot with help from the hotstart. If I were you and the CRF R clutch and hotstart lever would go on it I'd get it and the Hotstart cable. The cable will go right in the top of your carb and solve all your problems.

schulte_85
12-23-2006, 09:05 AM
how many hours to do u have on your quad? I had the same problem. It would start good cold, but it wouldn't hot. I had about 15 XC races, and my intake valves were wore out. The titanuim valves wear quicker than stainless which were on the 04/05 450r. You could have a valve problem.

400exrider0004
12-23-2006, 11:04 AM
The only reason I asked that question is because I had that problem too. The bike actually wouldnt start for me at a WORCS race and at another track I was at. I tried everything and checked everything over. I mean everything. I checked the starter clutches, jetting, valves, timing, and then I added a kicker. So far the kicker has helped a ton and will start the bike both hot and cold easily.

honda4life72
12-23-2006, 01:42 PM
try kickin it or sumthing

lumi
12-23-2006, 01:54 PM
a kicker or e-start wont really effect a hot or cold start..PERIOD.

-lumi

mustangflyboy
12-23-2006, 06:40 PM
What exactly does the HOT start lever do when used?
Is it opening the intake slide in the carb without giving it any fuel?

I just got my 450er but I can't ride it till after Christmas my wife says. i haven't been able to test this idea but here it is;
When the engine dies when hot and won't restart regularly, do the flooded engine procedure to clear the motor of the hot gases.

1. engine STOP switch to OFF
2.choke OFF
3.open throttle fully
4.press start button for 5 seconds
5.wait 10 seconds , return engine switch to RUN
6. repeat normal starting procedure, choke OFF

Like I said, I haven't been able to try this but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it. I think it is basically doing what the hot start lever does. just a longer process. Funny, I thought the e-starts were supposed to be faster/easier to start, I guess only when cold

scubasteve450r
12-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider0004
have you tried starting the bike with the kicker when its hot?

yes, it starts a little bit better, but not much. still have to kick it at least 7 of 8 times as fast as i can.

scubasteve450r
12-24-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by TWILES
I have a 2005 Wr450f dirt bike with basically the same motor as the YZ and YFZ and I don't understand why the quads don't come with the hot start when they have electric starters. My WR has both kick and electric and when its HOT it does not start without pulling the hotstart lever. Our 04 450R won't start when its hot with help from the hotstart. If I were you and the CRF R clutch and hotstart lever would go on it I'd get it and the Hotstart cable. The cable will go right in the top of your carb and solve all your problems.

the spot on the top of the carb where the hot start would go in is cast over with aluminum, instead of just a plug like on the blue ones. i would imagine the carb would have to be machined in order to install one, but i have no idea if that would even work. if someone has info on how to install a hotstart, or if it can even be done. i'm all ears. also just curious why you would go with CRF R clutch?

scubasteve450r
12-24-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by mustangflyboy
What exactly does the HOT start lever do when used?
Is it opening the intake slide in the carb without giving it any fuel?

I just got my 450er but I can't ride it till after Christmas my wife says. i haven't been able to test this idea but here it is;
When the engine dies when hot and won't restart regularly, do the flooded engine procedure to clear the motor of the hot gases.

1. engine STOP switch to OFF
2.choke OFF
3.open throttle fully
4.press start button for 5 seconds
5.wait 10 seconds , return engine switch to RUN
6. repeat normal starting procedure, choke OFF

Like I said, I haven't been able to try this but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try it. I think it is basically doing what the hot start lever does. just a longer process. Funny, I thought the e-starts were supposed to be faster/easier to start, I guess only when cold

i understand what you are saying, but in ice raceing 15 seconds is over a half a lap. i need it to start second kick

mustangflyboy
12-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by scubasteve450r
i understand what you are saying, but in ice raceing 15 seconds is over a half a lap. i need it to start second kick

]sounds like you just need to get a hot start setup.
I wouldn't be surprised if honda installs a hot start system on the futrure e starts. then again , it could be a little difficult to push the start button and the hot start lever with the same hand, at the same time. I think the hot lever should stay engaged once depressed and release automatically when engine starts.
That is how the decompression lever worked on my old LT 230 quad sport.
Wish I could be more help.

lumi
12-24-2006, 10:31 AM
e-start doesnt need a hotstart inly kickers.

-lumi

mustangflyboy
12-24-2006, 03:06 PM
There seems to be a fairly common problem hot starting the e-starts. why would they not benefit from the hot start system. It seems the problem exists in both kickers and electric. I think the hot gases need to be pumped out of the engine by going WOT with ignition off and cranking for 5 sec. and then go to normal starting. Doesn't the hot start lever accomplish this by manually opening the carb without advancing the timing (which is why u can't just push open the thumb throttle)?

I haven't been able to test this idea yet because da wifee won't let me ride it till Christmas. All I can do is shine 'er up and accessorize, and drool. But if I come across a hot start problem I will try to figure out the best method without having to let it cool. waiting sucks!

Lumi: Do u happen to know exactly what the Hot start lever does?
I think it just opens the intake through the carb, correct me if I'm off a bit will ya?

Have a merry Christmas everyone. I will finally be able to go ride tomorrow:)

scubasteve450r
12-25-2006, 09:11 AM
i know about as much about how the hot start works as you do. i believe you are correcty in that it just lets fresh air into the cylnder to lean out the air to feul mixture when the moter has been snubbed. i would greatly appriciate it if someone with a litytle more knowledge of the system would explain it to me exactly.

what was the deal when you said you would also put the CRF R cluth in the quad?

mustangflyboy
12-27-2006, 04:09 PM
I believe it was TWILES who recommended the CRF clutch, and I am not sure why.

Got to go ride yesterday and start the break in.
Friggin' sweet :D tons of power!!! No problems:)
Oh yeah but I got a flat tire right before I loaded it up 2 head home:(