PDA

View Full Version : Modified Pipe Burning Oil?

crowdedhead
09-19-2002, 07:04 AM
ok, i recently modified my stock 400 pipe by cutting away almost all of the rear baffle inside the muffler(you can see all the way through the muffler, very little back presser), along with this i added the k&n filter and jetkit.

the bike is jetted properly, it runs good at all rpm's and the plug looks good to.

but what has me concerned is that my buddies say they can smell burnt oil coming from the exhaust. physically you can't see anything coming out of the muffler, but they still claim to smell oil.

if it is burning oil, is this real bad? do any of the aftermarket pipes do this?

they tell me to go ahead and buy a pipe, i dont know if their concerned or just mad cause i'm beating their $500 piped bikes.

let me know what you all think pretty soon, so i can order a pipe if needed.

thanks...

DEAL
09-19-2002, 09:14 AM
I Notice that smell from all 400s.
Its normal. its when you notice the oil level going down or a little blue smoke coming out the pipe when you have to worry.

crowdedhead
09-19-2002, 09:24 AM
thats a little reassuring.

anyone else with comments or experience?

keep the replies coming, i need all the info i can get.

thanks again

AtvMxRider
09-19-2002, 10:47 AM
Yeah if it's not smoking than it is not burning it. Just keep an eye on your oil level.

YZROOSTINYA
09-19-2002, 10:50 AM
your quad is not equipped with a catalytic converter to help burn the unused portion of exhaust so excess fuel will eventually be let out into the environment. when you go to a free flowing exhaust you tend to see smoke or smell a little more fuel or oil.

the stock exhaust is very restrictive and has a alot of baffles(basically walls that redirect gas flow and deaden the sound waves) so alot of the oil becomes deposited on these walls so you dont really notice as much of it although this is very minor.

also when you go to a aftermarket pipe you are probally riding the quad harder and revving it more which will make it emit some unburnt fuel/oil/....

its not bad unless it is consuming a good amount of oil or running very poorly.

mine does after hill hills because the motor gets real hot and as things heat up things expand and dont always seal as well and just generla revving.

mine did it when it was new at start up because everything is not fully seated before breakin. valve seals will cause a litle smoke at start up if they are old or have alot of hours on em.

so basically its not bad as long as your not pulling a spy hunter.

after hitting some hills i try to hit some straights to get some wind on the motor. but typically i end up in 5th pinned so i guess its not really helpind:devil :devil

i will be getting a addl cooler and some scoops when i do my motor work along with better valve seals.

but alla in all. not a big deal

unless you want all that enviro recycling exhaust controls it will be there. ever get behind a true muscle car without catalitic converters. its the same

crowdedhead
09-19-2002, 11:04 AM
excellent, well im not as worried about it now...i'll just do like you all have said and keep an eye out on the oil level and watch the muffler for smoke.

by the way...sweet picture of the street bike!

YZROOSTINYA
09-19-2002, 11:06 AM
heres one that related, not my street bike, but my quad

crowdedhead
09-19-2002, 11:16 AM
nice stunt...i'm mainly into the drag racing scene now, but do occasionally break away and go practice jumping...haven't tried doing any tricks in the air though.