PDA

View Full Version : Just bought 440ex/what to look for

sonny1979
12-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Hello all! I just bought a used 440ex(big bore). I previously had owned a 01 300ex that I sold. I am pretty new to quads in general, and have caught the sikness. I would like to know anything to look for in regards to warning signs or problems with this quad. From what I know it has a je piston in it. It has an aftermarket oil reservoir and cooler. One thing I've noticed when riding it is when I am going up a steep incline, the motor whines, as if it is struggling. It does not happen on a regular basis, but every so often. I am pretty sure it is the motor that is making the noise, though. The whine sounds high pitched, as if metal to metal contact is being made. I have had it topped out in 5th gear, and have been to the trails 4 times since I bought it. Besides the whining, the motor feels strong. I am going to change the oil and filter, and use amsoil for the replacement.

What are anyone's thought on this?

Also, does anyone have any advice on a good setup for the 440? It has a k&n filter, the airbox lid has holes drilled in it.(Am going to remove it, and put a prefilter on it,possibly outerwears). I am pondering a fcr 40mm carb(read it was better than the edelbrock,although harder to dial in). Should I get an aftermarket cdi box? It has a pro circuit t-4 slip on. I plan to go with a yoshi competition full exhaust(possibly titanium). I plan on spending 2000+ on it. I would like to know some thoughts on the best mods for my money(hard earned). I have done some research myself(very time consuming).

I want to start out by finding out if there is a problem with the engine , if there is, I will get it fixed. From there, I want to know how to go about building a rock solid 440ex, that performs great. My riding will be from trails, to the dunes, to hill climbing. Overall, what are your guys/gals thoughts on a great engine build for "all around" riding? Something that can climb big hills,big dunes, but still take some trails. Give me some thoughts on maybe going to a stroker setup. Different combos that yield different results. Any and all thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

sonny1979
12-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Anyone?

400exrider720
12-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Does it have an aftermarket cam? If not I would go with a Hotcams stage 2 cam, and I would go with a rev box because that thing probably hits the rev limiter topped out.

HondaEXrider22
12-22-2006, 06:47 PM
For a check, go with the obvious. Chain, sprokets, ect..

I would deffantly go with a full exhaust. A Yoshi, HMF, Curtis Sparks full would be good. A motor with work done to it really needs a full high-end exhaust system to make it worth it. Also, I would remove the airbox lid completely and just add an outerwears to the filter. If you want to fork out some more money, get the K&N airbox lid. Never owned one, but I hear they are worth it.

Im not to familiar with engine work though, but if it doesnt have a cam I would get one also. You can also change the gearing(sprokets teeth number) to fit your needs(lowend or topend).

cals400ex
12-23-2006, 07:51 AM
i have a curtis sparks rev box for sale if you are interested.

sonny1979
12-23-2006, 04:17 PM
How much are you askin for it?

cals400ex
12-23-2006, 04:19 PM
$55 shipped

sonny1979
12-23-2006, 04:44 PM
Do you accept paypal? Or would you want cash sent?

12-23-2006, 05:42 PM
watch for the head gaskets....keep it down in low RPM's and lug it around.....just dont forget its a four stroke....i catch hell with my 440 and head gaskets...:o

Wheelie
12-23-2006, 08:45 PM
My setup is a great all around setup--it will tackle any hill at the dunes, great for drag racing, killer low end power for trails, great all around power for the occassional MX trip.

It's fast and reliable and I have't had any head gasket problems regardless of the fact that I'm stilling running the stock head studs.

Powroll 440 stroker w/HD rod, 11.3:1 compression, stg 3 hotcams, and porting.

Killer setup, highly recommended.

400eXr1d3rZ
12-23-2006, 08:48 PM
If you're going to spend 2000 dollars on it then you should deffinitly consider suspension, arms, axle and possible a swinger.

sonny1979
12-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention it has the following..barnett clutch pack, jt sprockets ,520 o-ring chain, +2 a-arms, works triple rate with piggy back reservoirs,
lonestar tie rods, braided brake lines, cnc machined brake line holders, magura hydraulic clutch.

cals400ex
12-26-2006, 08:45 PM
i sent you a pm about the rev box with my pay pal address for the rev box.

lpmaster
12-26-2006, 10:19 PM
if it doesnt already have an aftermarket cam, get one, also a diff carb if your using stock, i think u said it had an edelbrock, if its the doug eichner keep it, if its the quickilver go with an fcr, definately a full exhaust or powerbomb header to fit that t-4...