PDA

View Full Version : My HomeMade Welder !

Ghost-Rider
12-22-2006, 01:06 PM
I know some of you know how but i got bored and so i made me a welder outa a cordless drill battery i know you can make an arc welder outa a car battery but heres some pics of mine:cool:

Ghost-Rider
12-22-2006, 01:10 PM
I took some wire and put aligator clips and took some copper wire off our MIG welders spool, i gotta put a new clip on it though i welded it shut when taking these pics lol

Ghost-Rider
12-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Another

Ghost-Rider
12-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Last one, I dont recomend trying this, the wires get EXTREMLY HOT EXTREMLY FAST ! and i dont want to be responsible for someone who burns themself trying it-things neat though :scary:

Kickstarts-suck
12-22-2006, 02:29 PM
you can use a car battery charger also.....

:devil:

Ghost-Rider
12-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Yea, i was thinkin about that charger but itd burn through that wire so fast lol.

honda300EXtreme
12-22-2006, 06:24 PM
thats pretty awsome,, good thinkin ;)

knighttime
12-22-2006, 10:38 PM
i hope you have a welders mask or at least some tinted goggles on or your eyes or gonna hurt real bad. i never had welders flash, but i hear it really sux. the bad thing is that it can take a few hours before you know you have it.

you can get special eye drops at the emergency room if you get it. :ermm:

NorCalRacer
12-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by knighttime
i hope you have a welders mask or at least some tinted goggles on or your eyes or gonna hurt real bad. i never had welders flash, but i hear it really sux. the bad thing is that it can take a few hours before you know you have it.

I see a mig mix tank in the background, I'm sure he has a helmet. Ghostrider, good idea, but what do you do for flux? Maybe soldering paste:blah: Neat idea....

coolex
12-23-2006, 11:15 AM

ive gotten welders flash alot, when im just tack welding i dont use a helmat or glasses and it nevver hurts my eyes:confused:

MOFO
12-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Using a battery like this is probably not a great idea. One of the worst things you can do is to short out a battery - which you are doing. In some cases this could cause an explosion!

2004exrider
12-23-2006, 06:55 PM
I've always wondered if that would work after seeing it done on MacGuyver.

Jimmy

12-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Using a battery like this is probably not a great idea. One of the worst things you can do is to short out a battery - which you are doing. In some cases this could cause an explosion!

You party pooper. The next picture would have been of the explosion. WAY TO SPOIL IT.

Guy400
12-24-2006, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by coolex
ive gotten welders flash alot, when im just tack welding i dont use a helmat or glasses and it nevver hurts my eyes:confused: If it's never hurt your eyes than you've never had welder's flash. It feels like somebody threw sand in your eyes.

A good home remedy is potato. Grate a potato as finely as you can and lay on your back and pack it in your eyes. Try to go to bed with it and do your best to keep it on. By morning you'll be alright.

knighttime
12-24-2006, 08:26 AM
ive gotten welders flash alot, when im just tack welding i dont use a helmat or glasses and it nevver hurts my eyes:confused:

if you get welders flash it will hurt, and it will hurt bad. if you arent using a helmet, you must be closing your eyes when you make the arc.

dont be a dumbass, use a helmet

wvspeedfreak
12-24-2006, 08:40 AM
Yep,flash burn is basically a sunburn on the surface of your eyes.If you ever get it,you will make damn sure you don't get it again ;)

300exQuadracer
12-24-2006, 08:44 AM
listen to these guys and use a helmet i have worked as a welder for the past 4 years and on my 1st day on the job i was allways lookin around and i got flash from everybody else weldin and me lookin, and have never had it after that
but i do tack without a helmet by hiding the arc from my eyes behind my hand, just a little trick i had learned from the guys

MOFO
12-24-2006, 09:22 AM
if you get welders flash it will hurt, and it will hurt bad. if you arent using a helmet, you must be closing your eyes when you make the arc.

I've heard of people getting "flashed" even with their eye's closed. I've been told either turn your head or wear the helmet... the correct choice being the helmet. :D

NorCalRacer
12-24-2006, 09:32 AM
I've heard of people getting "flashed" even with their eye's closed. I've been told either turn your head or wear the helmet... the correct choice being the helmet. :D

Actually, you can also get flash burn from reflection off of walls. White garage walls especially. Helmets are the only way to go.

DieselBoy
12-24-2006, 03:16 PM

Exactly what I'm thinking eric....ive never seen a battery explode personally but I've heard its NOT PLEASENT. I dont recommend doing it...

coolex
12-26-2006, 12:59 PM

i use a helmat when welding but if some one else is welding in the garage and i am near them and happen to look straight into the weld it still doesnt hurt me for some reason?

1fst400
12-26-2006, 08:23 PM
i use a helmat when welding but if some one else is welding in the garage and i am near them and happen to look straight into the weld it still doesnt hurt me for some reason?

thats because you just havent got enough of it at once, And boy you will know it when you do. I work in a welding shop after school. I get a burn from welding with short sleeve shirt on, exactly like a sun burn.

I agree that closing you eyes isnt going to cut it. Turning your head isnt the best idear either, if you have ever gotten a spark in your ear you will know where Im coming from. Plus your face will get brunt from the bright light.

300exPat
12-29-2006, 01:10 AM
I know this is an old topic but I got arc eye or flash from welding the gussets on my frame last year... that was one of the worst things to happen to me yet, i woke up 8 hours later at 11 pm and it took me 20 minutes just to open my eyes

i felt fine when I went to sleep, but then I woke up and I was like that... my mom took me to the emergency room and they gave me those drops but I had to keep my eyes covered for the next day and felt the experience of being blind

I was only looking because arc welders are a pain in the *** in the first place and on top of that I didn't have an auto darkening mask, it was dark all the time

trust me to anyone reading this, where the mask, even if you're just tacking