PDA

View Full Version : ATVriders.com Polaris Outlaw 525 Test Ride - Mojave, CA

cdalejef
12-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Last year Polaris started a whole new era in ATV racing by introducing the first IRS sport quad the Outlaw 500. I was given the opportunity to race the 500 for ATVriders.com at the Sparta Ky GNCC race. Having not rode in 8 months before the race I was worried about not being in shape enough to last the 2 hours and still finish well in the overall results. I was pleasantly surprised when I not only finished 2nd overall, I felt like I could go at least 2 more laps. This was due to the IRS suspension being so forgiving in the rough Kentucky terrain. I was very impressed with this new Polaris but I noted two things that I'd like to see changed. One was it needed to go on a diet and second it needed a snapier motor to be competitive in the pro class.

Not long after that race the rumors started flying about a new Outlaw that would be getting a motor from a KTM motorcycle. I have rode and raced KTM bikes in the past and knew that they build some of the best off-road racing bikes in the world. I had a feeling this was going to be exactly what I wanted in the new Outlaw.

In October I got a call from Harlen Foley, CEO of ATVriders.com asking me if I'd like to go with him out to California and test the all new 2007 Outlaw 525. Before he even finished his sentence I was packing my bags. I had never been so excited to ride a new quad before.

We arrived in Mojave CA to a beautiful snow fall on top of the surrounding Sierra mountains. It was like something out of a Robert Frost novel. Although very windy and a bit cold for southern CA it was great weather for riding.

The folks from Polaris picked us up from our hotel and drove us to the Jaw Bone Canyon riding area just outside of Mojave. It was the typical high desert terrain with plenty of sand washes, rocks, whoops and steep hill climbs. Great terrain to really open up the 525 and see how it would do.
First on order was a walk around of the bikes as the Polaris reps explained the new features for 2007. First off the motor is straight out of KTM's 525 EXC motorcycle, they have made a few changes to make this motor more suitable for an ATV. The oil capacity has been doubled over the motorcycle for longer life and fewer oil changes. They have taken the 6th gear out and replaced it with a reverse gear. Also a Keihin FCR-MX carburetor has replaced the Mikuni, the FCR's are the best carbs on the market bar none!

They have upgraded the front calipers to dual pistons for better response and feel. They have gone with Maxxis radial tires which will be much better than the old Dunlops. The engine is more compact and lower leaving room for a larger 3.9 gallon fuel tank, this will be great news for the GNCC and desert guys because there will be no need to buy a larger tank. Polaris chose to switch from the Fox shocks to the Arvin Ryde FX shocks for 07. They weight is down by 39 pounds over the 500 bringing the dry weight to 395 lbs. That is basically equal to the Raptor 700.

Another great addition is they brought over the hydraulic clutch from the bike. The air filter has been changed to a larger better filtering system. The seat latch problem the plagued the 500 has been redesigned and should no longer be an issue. Polaris also changed the gusset on the sway bar so that it will no longer break like the early 500's did.

When it came time to ride I picked a quad and sitting on it felt great. The layout felt very neutral, the tank area is very narrow which makes moving around very easy. The controls were in just the right places. I'm pretty picky about the way my controls are positioned and the bend of bars but the Outlaw 525 felt spot on. The new hydraulic clutch has a super easy pull and is very smooth. Another benifit to hydraulic clutches is that they are self adjusting, you never have to adjust them even when the clutch gets hot (all quads should come with one of these). I'll say right up front that I hate thumb throttles with a passion however, this is the first thumb throttle that I actually liked. It is super easy to push and very smooth all the way through the travel. I rode for about 3 hours non stop and my thumb never bothered me at all. I would have had a sore thumb for the next two days on any other quad! As soon as I hit the starter button the motor came to life and didn't even need to be choked in the lower 50 degree weather.

First thing I did was take it to a long straight away and noticed immediately that this is a very quick racing ATV. I'd say its in the top 5 of the quickest quads I have ever rode, the quickest stock quad for sure! The power band came on early and did not stop pulling all the way to the top. Very crisp and responsive!

After a few minutes riding around the camp, we would all gather to take a 1 hour guided trail ride into the mountains. First off we went down a 3 mile wash full of whoops, I noticed right off that this bike will stay on top of the whoops if you keep it pinned. Even if the whoops were uneven the IRS would keep tracking straight unlike a solid axle quad. I did however notice that if I slowed down and allowed the quad to fall into the whoops the rear end would tend to swap some. I believe this is due to the rear shocks being a bit under sprung and under dampened. The shocks are preload and compression adjustable but we did not have tools to play with the settings. I believe this can be cured with some adjustments. I did get a chance to ride the 500 through the same section and the Fox shocks did not swap at all, if they can get the rear Arvins to work as good as the Fox shocks it will be much better.

The transmission shifted smoothly and had good gear spacing. I did notice that the shifter was too long even with my size 11 boot. Polaris told me that it was the shifter from the motorcycle and would be shorter on the production units. We did not have a radar gun but I do believe that I was in the mid 70's mph on one short straight aways. Did I say this quad was fast?

Next we would head into the mountains on some narrow ridges with steep climbs and descents. One particular hill climb I purposely took a line with some deep rain ruts. The IRS went through these ruts like the weren't even there. I would have been stuck for sure on a solid axle quad! There was never a time when I wish I would have had more power. I could climb all the hills in a taller gear than I would have on another quad. Just roll on the throttle and hang on.

On down hills the brakes worked incredibly well. Until now I thought that Honda had the best front brakes on the market. Not anymore, the front dual piston calipers bring this quad to a stop on a dime. Stoppies are a blast on this quad. The rear brake worked equally well and showed no signs of fade even after my attempts to make them fade.

Steering was quick and precise with no bump steer noticed. Even tho this bike weighs a little more than the current 450's, the weight is carried low and is very flickable. I could easily change directions and off cambers were easily negotiated.

After the trail ride we were allowed to go out on our own for some photo's and testing. Harlen found this huge drop off into a sand wash and told me I had to jump off of it. I'm not much of an MXer but you gotta do what the boss says. On the first jump I came off the ledge a little crooked and braced for the 1 rear wheel landing. To my pleasant surprise the IRS soaked up the landing and did not sling me to one side like I was expecting. You can get away with crazy landings that would send you flying off a solid axle quad. I made the jump several more times with the same results, smooth predictable landings.

Next was some high speed runs over small whoops with some turns thrown in. Again, the Outlaw 525 would stay right on top of the whoops as long as you kept the throttle pinned and your weight back. Through the turns it stayed level with no signs of body roll like one might think with IRS. It corners just like a solid axle quad.

I believe that Polaris has a winner here! This quad is very capable of winning a GNCC or desert overall as well as being a great trail quad for the experienced rider. This is the quad I have been dreaming about since the early 90's. It is only time before the other manufactures will follow suit and make the IRS switch.

Admin
12-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Outlaw 525 KTM Engine

Admin
12-21-2006, 07:56 PM
The Polaris Outlaw 525 will be available in all black and white/black, which wasn't orginally announced.

Admin
12-21-2006, 07:59 PM
ATVriders.com Test Rider, Jeff Stoess, geared up and put the Outlaw 525 to the test

Admin
12-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Jeff Stoess has posted a overview of his test ride, and here are a few sneak photos from the test ride. The full report and video will be released toward the end of January, but I figured there was no use in making everyone wait, so here are some of the action photos with a full photo gallery to be released with the complete report.

Admin
12-21-2006, 08:09 PM
The riding area was completely different than anything that Jeff and I would ever find back home.

Admin
12-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Hammer Time!!

Admin
12-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Joshua Tree

Admin
12-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Suspension Testing

Admin
12-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Airborne

Admin
12-21-2006, 08:22 PM
I will close out the preview with jeff throwing some roost, and now feel free to ask Jeff any questions you have about the Polaris Outlaw 525

QuadJunkies
12-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Looks alot like our terrain here in Idaho :cool:

I know from owning a Predator personally ,getting the rear end to hook up was always tough.
I was curious how the Outlaw was in this area??

I have tons of questions, but Ill save it for others to ask :)
Sweet shots-looking good Jeff!

cdalejef
12-22-2006, 05:50 AM
Thanks QJ!!! :)

Actually I noticed the same thing when I raced the Predator at The Wisp but I just took it as being the stock tires that I ran. I didn't notice any unexpected sliding on either Outlaw. I think that its due to the IRS. The outside shock will slightly compress when cornering aiding in the side traction. It will slide but it takes a little more effort than it does with solid axle which is good because when you are sliding you are actually scrubing speed. I'd much rather hook around a corner than slide.

Evasiveone
12-22-2006, 07:09 AM
Was reading some of your other comments on some of the boards about what you had to say about the video floating around with the stock Outlaw vs. the 490 TRX and you saying the Outlaw was faster than the trx with the HRC kit.

WOW!!! :eek2:

Did they give you any indication of the HP this bike is laying down?

cdalejef
12-22-2006, 07:19 AM
I never heard any official hp numbers but I believe that there is a dyno chart on Polaris's web page.

Bajakawi
12-22-2006, 03:07 PM
I know that the Outlaw 500 was a bit wide in the front at 47. I ride an 05 Predator and at 45"for the front, it is one of the widest trail quads out there. 2 more inches would keep me from going many places my partners go, or at least slow me way down. I also know that there is a guy out there that is perfecting a narrower front hub setup that will save 1/2" per side plus make the bolt pattern honda 4/144 which will give you a true 4+1 offset in the hiper wheel line ( 4/156 is stock but you cannot get the hiper in a TRUE 4+1 in that pattern) so when you combine the special hubs @- 1" savings and the honda hiper at another -1" savings, it is possible to get to 45"...but that comes at a price, of course....I have actually tested the hubs I mentioned on my Predator but they will not work due to the calipers that are used..the calipers are different on the Outlaw 500 compared to the Predator, accept for the 07 Predator I think is using the same caliper as the outlaw....the 525 is different from the 500, but John says they will work on either the 500 or 525...sorry for the long post, I was also trying to put as much info out there for everyone else as I could..I will update the hub situation as I get the ok to do so. .....do you feel the width is an issue at all?

Bajakawi
12-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Well, I just got the ok!..The guys name is John Gallager, 440-543-2951..you can buy the 4/144 hub @-1" overall or the 4/156 hub at -1" overall..depending on your preference for wheels...and John tells me they will work on the new caliper on the 525. So if you get his hubs with the Honda bolt pattern you can get the hipers with the Honda pattern and save a total of 2" in front width..or you can use the 4/156 and buy Douglas Shamrock Beadlocks which are also a true 4+1.....price is $345 + shipping on the hubs, either bolt pattern....

cdalejef
12-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Ya, I knew who you were talking about LOL.

Northstar Wolf
12-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the great review!

Northstar Wolf
12-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the great review, now I really want one of these babies for the up coming season. At 47" for the front it is still 2" less than the LTR450 and that is a great sign. When comparing the 500 vs 525 power output, is there big difference in throttle responce? If so how much extra power can we expect.......:D

cdalejef
12-23-2006, 06:27 AM
Yes, it is a big difference. I guess its like comparing a 400ex to an uncorked 450R in the power difference.

PlayHard
12-23-2006, 10:21 AM
This is looking like the hottest ticket for XC racing. I currently race a Predator that has been a very reliable and good racer for 2 years. Not one DNF in that time. Polaris has proven to me that their quads can stand up to the abuse of racing and perform well. I hear the same from other serious people who race the Predator or Outlaw.

As I look to purchase a new XC quad, I have to say that I will likely be on an Outlaw 525 (or KTM 525...). Everything about this quad seems to be perfect for the typical XC racer.

Thanks for the informative review.

smokinwrench
12-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by PlayHard
This is looking like the hottest ticket for XC racing. I currently race a Predator that has been a very reliable and good racer for 2 years. Not one DNF in that time. Polaris has proven to me that their quads can stand up to the abuse of racing and perform well. I hear the same from other serious people who race the Predator or Outlaw.

My Predator has performed flawlesly also.

After hearing about the power it has. I hope to run it stock unless Polaris has the pipe available for a cheap price.

I can't wait to run it through a long section of whoops, when I test rode the 500 outlaw it seemed very unpredictable. It sounds the like the 525 stays right on track with the rear following perfectly.

How is the intake setup?
Is the reverse lever easy to use?

cdalejef
12-23-2006, 02:48 PM
The intake is a new design, I didn't look at it too hard to be able to explain the difference.
The reverse is the same as the 500.

calds650
12-23-2006, 04:41 PM
The sooner they get here the happier I will be. I have a race on Jan28, I hope they get here too CA by then.

Northstar Wolf
12-23-2006, 04:44 PM
I was told that we wouldn't see them until late Feb or March or so........... what have you heard from your local dealer?

GE4x4
12-23-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Northstar Wolf
I was told that we wouldn't see them until late Feb or March or so........... what have you heard from your local dealer?

Well with race season starting in March, I would hope they will be out at least a month before. I know my dealer shows a January shipping.

wolffie
12-24-2006, 08:04 AM
sounds to me like Polaris took the strong points of the Pred and Outlaw and eliminated all the weaknesses! this machine sounds pretty wicked for trail ridining and gncc racing, but how do you think this thing will fair on an mx course?

i think the biggest thing i am happy about is the reduced weight. polair riders take so much flak from the other 450 riders because of how much weight the pred and outlaw are taughting around. the 525 ktm engine doesnt hurt either;)

calds650
12-24-2006, 11:07 AM
One good thing a lot of the stuff I have on my Outlaw will bolt on to the 525.

quadrider400
12-25-2006, 11:28 PM
Was wondering if there has been any more about wear on the rear rims... I know there was a lot of talk about problems on the 500. Just hoping I won't have to get new rims right off the bat... although beadlocks are in the future.... thanks...

eerhard09
12-26-2006, 05:16 AM
The inner bell size on the rear wheel has been increased to create more clearance. It should allow the wheel to clean out better and give more arm clearance. I believe it is for all new Outlaws, not just the 525.

igmif
12-26-2006, 05:43 AM
So Jeff, how tall are you??? You appear to dwarf that quad in the profile shots? I'm 6'2" and my 400EX is a bit cramped for me. I havn't sat on any outlaws either but they look short. I was just wondering if your knees hit the front fenders while cornering?

I have also asked the question on this forum if there was gonna be a later release. As in a later release date between Mar and May. Do you know of anything like that?

cdalejef
12-26-2006, 05:52 AM
I'm 6'1" and have a 34" inseam. I did not feel cramped at all and my knees didn't hit the fenders. I also feel cramped when I ride Honda's but this wasn't the case on the Outlaw.
The last I heard on release dates was late January for the first small shipment.

SPBOMB
12-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Jeff, will there be a Outlaw on Pro row this year? I don't need a name, but just want to know if Polaris will be represented this year in the pro ranks.

cdalejef
12-26-2006, 05:12 PM
I know that they have been looking but I don't know if they have signed anyone yet or not.

SPBOMB
12-26-2006, 06:08 PM
I hope they do, or it will be a big blow if they don't have a pro for this year.:eek:

cdalejef
12-26-2006, 06:12 PM
And picking the right pro is also very important to the success of any new quad.

wolffie
12-26-2006, 06:18 PM
any word on how Polaris will be representing the motocross industry? perhaps a 450 with a ktm engine...:confused:

SPBOMB
12-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@TireBalls
And picking the right pro is also very important to the success of any new quad.

Boy do you got that right. Any rumors??:D

Pappy
12-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Great review Jeff, I have been trying to read it the past few days but the site's problems prevented it. Its the first thread I went to after I could get it working!

cdalejef
12-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by wolffie
any word on how Polaris will be representing the motocross industry? perhaps a 450 with a ktm engine...:confused: Not that I've heard of, I think Polaris is smart to go after the woods crowd first since MX is such a very small margin of their sales.

mrshoer
12-27-2006, 07:07 AM
I agree with Jeff. I was PO'd at first site of the Outlaw. I thought Polaris should have given us a new Predator- We've been screaming for a long time. Let's hope the 525 Outlaw will be a turning point for Polaris.

cdalejef
12-27-2006, 08:42 AM
I didn't say that, I was exteremly excited when I heard that Polaris had developed an IRS quad. I have been wishing for that for 17 years.
When I tested the 500, I loved it. My only changes that I wanted to see made to make it a pro level quad was to drop some weight and give it a more race motor. I think that the 500 is still the better trail quad for amateur riders and amateur racers. But the 525 is going to fill the gap for the advanced and racer people.

TYLER329
12-27-2006, 09:39 AM
I hope that Polaris gets a rider that actually likes the Outlaw and doesn't just do it for money. Smiley was a joke. You can't tell everyone good IRS is and then switch back to the Pred 2 races later. I guess the joke was on him anyways becasue he still didn't do well anyways. Maybe he just didn't care since he didn't want to be on the Polaris at all.

PlayHard
12-27-2006, 10:06 AM
It was likely tough essentially being the test rider for the Outlaw from Pro Row. I think Matt genuinely thought the Outlaw would be great in the PM GNCC races and it seems that neither him or Polaris gave it enough of a chance. Smiley made everyone believe in the Predator in 2005.

Polaris is in the right place marketing the Outlaw at the GNCC. In a perfect world they should have a Pro GNCC Team with a couple riders to prove that this quad is the real deal. Maybe they can do something jointly with the KTM team when they have their quad this summer.

Obviously the Outlaw is a great quad in the hands of 85% of us XC racers. To get A or Pro riders to believe in it, Polaris will have to try and prove it is competitive at the highest level.

katch26
12-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Not that I've heard of, I think Polaris is smart to go after the woods crowd first since MX is such a very small margin of their sales.

Hes agreeing with what you said here/\/\/\, he said he was pissed at first, at the outlaw vs a mx quad. I still think they need to commit to an mx platform cause that seems to be the only way the aftermarket opens up.

cdalejef
12-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up.

calds650
12-27-2006, 11:31 AM
I whis they would get more into desert racing

cdalejef
12-29-2006, 06:05 AM
Did you know that Polaris has a contingency for the Baja 1000?
For anyone that wins the quad overall will receive $25,000 from Polaris.

TYLER329
12-29-2006, 08:53 AM
I think that it is funny the dirt wheels rode one at the last gncc and then wrote in the mag that it isn't a night and day difference in power. That is totally different from what everybody else says. If it would have been a Yamaha they would have said it was best thing since the wheel was invented.

SPBOMB
12-29-2006, 09:07 AM
It's no secret that DW has never liked Polaris. They down them any chance they get. So it doesn't suprise me from what you said.

katch26
12-29-2006, 09:11 AM
I like dw magazine but there opinions have always been slighted. They also write atv 4 wheel action and if youve ever read it look in the product review sections.....everything is 4 or 5 stars. Wonder why?

calds650
12-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Did you know that Polaris has a contingency for the Baja 1000?
For anyone that wins the quad overall will receive $25,000 from Polaris.

Now all they have to due is get a team together. They now have a quad that can win the race with very little modifications.

cdalejef
12-29-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by calds650
Now all they have to due is get a team together. They now have a quad that can win the race with very little modifications.

I agree 100%

I got an email last week from a very big name desert racer that read this thread and said that he is very interested in racing one for 07. ;)

katch26
12-29-2006, 02:16 PM
was it b. sturdivant? lol dont worry Jeff Im gonna crack the code.

cdalejef
12-29-2006, 03:22 PM
I didn't know he was a desert racer. :huh

katch26
12-29-2006, 03:39 PM
no just spreading rumors again.....just a joke regarding the pm I had sent you earlier

cdalejef
12-29-2006, 06:27 PM
LOL

TYLER329
01-03-2007, 06:11 AM
So if you make the front narrow what do you do with the back? I have had the rear hipers for the Outlaw in our dealership and doesn't it make the rear actually wider than the stock wheels?

katch26
01-03-2007, 06:31 AM
its all about the offset of the wheel, I think stock is like 4/5. I think you just go to like a 3/6 offset.

TYLER329
01-03-2007, 06:38 AM
No, the stock Outlaw wheel is a 6+2. The Hipers are a 6+1. Thats why I don't understand why it seems wider.

katch26
01-03-2007, 06:51 AM
that doesnt sound right....so the hiper is a 7" rim?

tldPREDATORboy
01-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by wolffie
any word on how Polaris will be representing the motocross industry? perhaps a 450 with a ktm engine...:confused:
i would like to see polaris hold of on the motcross scene and re make the predator.i would like to see a pred with maybe a 100 less pounds and a 600-650 engine.i think it would be a good change for the american based company.with a 650 engine and a hundred pounds lighter it would be a agile jumper.some better springers for the handling and landing.and most of all it would be a great answer to the big bore sport quads(ds650,raptor700,kfx700)it would push them to the top.all my riding buddies dads have big bore quads.they want the power of a raptor 700 and the comfort of a ds650.they could keep the 500 and come out with the new model.

and i dont think polaris has there proritys in the right place to make a motocross racer.

TYLER329
01-04-2007, 08:19 AM
CHADIX you posted some pictures awhile ago and your quad had a rear bumper and beadlocks on the rear. Were those champions?

01-07-2007, 09:23 AM
What did you not like,or feel they could improve on, any thing? i know you're still lookin for a ride this year and the next time a test comes around you would like to be invited. But as a test rider/reviewer we would like to get a true review - the plus and the minus's of this quad. Not tryin to insult you in any way by that statement.Thanks later............................................. ....As far as the Dirt Wheels post - well, back in the 80's all the mag's, "Dirt Wheels", "3&4 wheel action", "3 Wheeling" ,and others, always said the "honda was best." i used to think they payed them off, but after 20 plus years riding i have ridden most of the wheelers from that era and the damn honda's were just a bit better. Alot had to do with the stock tires honda used but in the end they were better.................last but not least you can tell by the name what i ride and plz refrain from making this a "raptors rule / go back to your thread." it is really so childish but common place here.

Evasiveone
01-07-2007, 09:34 AM
The only thing I heard him complain about was that all of his buddies quit wanting to ride with him because he was sandblasting the crap out of the front of their quads. :blah:

LOL J/K

cdalejef
01-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by 700YELLOWRAPTOR
What did you not like,or feel they could improve on,any thing. i know your still lookin for a ride this year and the next time a test comes around you would like to be invited.B

The rear shocks was the only thing that I thought needed work. They confirmed that they are still working on the valving and spring specs.
I am not planning on racing this year.

01-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Well, if Polaris is only letting a few dealers get the 525 Outlaw, and holding out on production on perpus, they can stick it.
I won't buy one then.
Why is Polaris only making a few of the Outlaws?
Are they testing the waters, so to speek?

GE4x4
01-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Markcuda
Well, if Polaris is only letting a few dealers get the 525 Outlaw, and holding out on production on perpus, they can stick it.
I won't buy one then.
Why is Polaris only making a few of the Outlaws?
Are they testing the waters, so to speek?

Who said Polaris was only letting a few out. I know my dealer has 3 on his list. 1 in Jan and 2 in Feb. So I don't know where you got your info from, but they will be in dealers in Feb for the most part.

GE4x4
01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by TYLER329
No, the stock Outlaw wheel is a 6+2. The Hipers are a 6+1. Thats why I don't understand why it seems wider.

I was 47.5" wide stock, and with my Hipers I'm at 48"

01-08-2007, 10:47 PM
I called 3 Polaris dealers all with in a 50 miles radius of me and 1 dealer said he will not get any.
The second dealer said he has no clue "IF" he will get any.
Number 3 dealer said also no idea when he will get any.
I'm just going by what I was told, so, should I call them all back up and call them a lier?
I did not wate on polaris, I bought a 07, 700 RaptorR
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

01-09-2007, 06:09 AM
YOU WILL LOVE IT:macho

TYLER329
01-09-2007, 06:12 AM
Hey, nobody has a 525 Outlaw!!!!!! Your dealers probably don't know when because they are very hard to get until March and then they will be much more available. I know that I will have some in Iowa by the last week in January. You couldn't wait 3 weeks longer for a machine. Now your stuck with a Raptor, still a good machine, but I don't think anything is gonna hang with this 525.

TYLER329
01-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I was really expecting you to drive to Iowa to get one dumbass. I was saying that there will be some out soon. I don't give a flying **** what you ride. If you want to ride the same machine as everyone in the magazines go ahead. I didn't say it was a bad machine, in fact I have to buddies with them and they love em. As far as the last quote, well I guess I shouldn't have said nothing is gonna hang with the 525, but your Raptor isn't gonna even come close to it. Now go hang out with your Raptor buddies on there forum.

Northstar Wolf
01-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Man I'd drive 3-6 hours to get a new machine if the deal was good. It sound to me that the 525 is the next best thing to sliced bread!:D

TYLER329
01-09-2007, 11:02 AM
What series are you gonna race in Marcuda?

01-09-2007, 11:42 AM
The "Has Been" series
The "Dead Man" series
The "Washed Up" series
The "Over The Hill" series
Pick one for me:macho

NC_700R
01-09-2007, 06:19 PM
You boyz are really getting worked up over this 525 outlaw. I can't wait until I run into one of them. Dirtwheels already said there wasn't a night and day difference between the outlaw 500 and 525. You can say DW doesn't like polaris all day but I really don't see how 10cc makes a whole world of difference. :D :cool:

cdalejef
01-09-2007, 06:23 PM
It is night and day!

01-09-2007, 06:39 PM
But thats where you run a muck the out law is a hand full and unpredictable as the speeds increase.Oh and the weight is 25-30 pounds lighter.

cdalejef
01-09-2007, 06:50 PM
I have to disagree with you there. The IRS handles awesome, I was hitting woops wide open in 4th and 5th gear and it never did anything funny like a solid axle quad will.

01-09-2007, 06:58 PM
so you were hitting whoops at 70 +mph oh i bet.

cdalejef
01-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Absolutely! Why wouldn't I?
Harlen should be posting video very soon.

01-09-2007, 07:15 PM
must be different than mine.Let just see what all the impartial mags yes dirt wheels,4 wheel action ,atv rider,atv sport have to say.

eerhard09
01-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Why are people in here being a-holes and bashing the 525? You Yamaha boys invaded the Polaris threads, not the other way around! And, I believe Jeff is the only one here who has experience on the 525, so until you other boys try it out, you are the one's who are full of it! Why not go to the Yamaha threads and bash it in there with your buddies! Don't do it here, in what was a very informative and interesting thread until you few showed up and turned it to a pissing match w/o having any experience with the new machine. You bashing it w/o any experience is the same as talking **** in favor of it w/o having any experience. So, the only one who should and can have an educated opinion on it is Jeff! Thanks for the great info and what WAS a great thread, Jeff!

tldPREDATORboy
01-09-2007, 07:30 PM
must be different than mine.Let just see what all the impartial mags yes dirt wheels,4 wheel action ,atv rider,atv sport have to say. dude ur talkin smack about a quad that will make ur raptor look like its standing still.how can u sit at ur little computer disrespecting some one with three times the experience u have.hes one of the only people that actually have seat time on the quad.u and ur stock craptor need to go back to the yamaha forum.

tldPREDATORboy
01-09-2007, 07:44 PM
have u read the latest dirt wheeles.the race the 525 at the iron man xc and they said it was great.

cdalejef
01-09-2007, 07:51 PM
must be different than mine.Let just see what all the impartial mags yes dirt wheels,4 wheel action ,atv rider,atv sport have to say.

Ok, here are the kind of woops I'm used to. These are some articals and pics from my desert racing experience.

"July 2004
ATK Quad Wins Nevada / Utah Desert Race
Jeff Stoess ATK Factory Racer and GNCC Champion wins First Overall Desert Race aboard the all-new 450 XC Quad. Stoess who had never ridden in the Desert finished 10 minutes ahead of the second place rider in the extreme heat of the Utah / Nevada Desert"

http://cdalejef.smugmug.com/photos/122221771-M.jpg

http://cdalejef.smugmug.com/photos/122221844-M.jpg

http://cdalejef.smugmug.com/photos/122221922-M.jpg

"First Place Expert was Q71 on a Honda rode by David McCarroll, Brandon Carter and Jeff Stoess. These guys traveled all the way from Indiana to race at the Parker 250! Stoess' team finished the race in 5 hours and 47 minutes, and finished 5th Quad overall on unofficial time."

http://cdalejef.smugmug.com/photos/122222038-M.jpg

http://cdalejef.smugmug.com/photos/21180959-M.jpg

"The "torpedo" Honda of Q71 Jeff Stoess made for quite a few punchlines this weekend! The wild (or genius?) idea of using a 9.5 gallon gas tank allowed this former GNCC Cross Country team to only stop a reported 3 times during the 250 mile race. On the otherwise bone-stock Honda, Q71 scored a 2nd place finish in their second BITD desert race, and put them 1st in Class Points for the series."

http://cdalejef.smugmug.com/photos/122221997-M.jpg

You don't win the Expert class in the BITD series by going slow through the whoops!

eerhard09
01-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Its amazing how a good thread can be ruined by on or two *******s! Jeff, gotta give you props again! Good pics!

CHADHIX
01-09-2007, 08:13 PM
Do you guys smell the smoke? BURN!!! :devil: :devil: :devil: Great pics Jeff

cdalejef
01-09-2007, 08:23 PM
I encourage you to go enter a BITD race and check those whoops out for yourself.

eerhard09
01-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks for cleaning this thread up, mods!

TYLER329
01-10-2007, 06:06 AM
700YELLOWRAPTOR, I TOTALLY KNOW WHY YOU DON'T BELIEVE HE DID 70 THROUGH THE WHOOPS. YOU ARE A MAGAZINE RACER, WANNABE, SLOBBERING, OVERWEIGHT BAFOON THAT THINKS HE KNOWS EVERYTHING AND PROBABLY COULDN'T EVEN FINISH A MORNING GNCC RACE. THEN YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO TELL A PRO THAT HE IS LYING! GO BACK TO READING YOUR DIRT WHEELS UNTIL YOUR MOM SAYS ITS TIME FOR SUPPER.

Pappy
01-10-2007, 06:22 AM
It is hard enough finding a rider that has the time and willingness to test and write for a review on anything, especially when they are not being sponsored or paid and have no real conection to the product except the love of this sport. Jeff is one of those folks and I appreciate his efforts.

With that said, I am asking nicely to those that for whatever reason feel compelled to turn an information thread into thier personal issue platform and do nothing but bash. If you feel this model or any other is not to your liking, then by all means do not buy it. If you have factual information about this or any model, wether it be positive or negative, please post it.

But for pete's sake, if you dont have anything useful to add, how about shutting the **** up so the rest of us can enjoy the information without the interuption. Lets try that.

eerhard09
01-10-2007, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
It is hard enough finding a rider that has the time and willingness to test and write for a review on anything, especially when they are not being sponsored or paid and have no real conection to the product except the love of this sport. Jeff is one of those folks and I appreciate his efforts.

With that said, I am asking nicely to those that for whatever reason feel compelled to turn an information thread into thier personal issue platform and do nothing but bash. If you feel this model or any other is not to your liking, then by all means do not buy it. If you have factual information about this or any model, wether it be positive or negative, please post it.

But for pete's sake, if you dont have anything useful to add, how about shutting the **** up so the rest of us can enjoy the information without the interuption. Lets try that.

EXACTLY!!!!

Evasiveone
01-10-2007, 07:45 AM
I still laugh every time I see those pics of the "Torpedo" quad. Did it take a while to get use to all that extra weight up front and high or did you even notice it?

Since you have a lot of experience with aftermarket shock setups and you were hitting woops at wot on the Outlaw how would you compare the new gas Ryder FX to some of the aftermarket shocks you have ridden. Cannot imagine being able to hit woops with stock suspension wide open. If so I am drooling even more.

cdalejef
01-10-2007, 08:14 AM
We had the front shocks setup for the extra weight of the tank/gas so I really don't notice it.

The front shocks worked really well. Maybe not quite as good as full aftermarket shocks with all the adjusments are rezzies but much better than the other OEM shocks out there.
The rears still need some more setup work (atleast for my style of riding) but from the way thay talked it will be dialed in by the time they hit the showroom floor.

calds650
01-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Looks like a Polaris won the amateur class this last weekend at the Parker 250

tldPREDATORboy
01-10-2007, 07:25 PM
i whent to my local dealer and he didn't have any 500 but he had 1 525!im poor so i couldn't buy it but i test drove the s h i t out of it.it had no bumpstear,lag,or falters ecxept my arms hurt from holding on so tight!

Pappy
01-10-2007, 08:31 PM
enough talk

Ride Interview Video (http://www.atvpress.com/atvvideos/atvmodels/polaris/polaris2007outlaw525atvtestride.wmv)

tldPREDATORboy
01-10-2007, 08:50 PM
great video.but that just PROVED EVERYTHING that jeff said.

bradley300
01-10-2007, 09:29 PM
It is hard enough finding a rider that has the time and willingness to test and write for a review on anything, especially when they are not being sponsored or paid and have no real conection to the product except the love of this sport.

this guy right here is always available, ready and willing!:D :D pick me! pick me!:D i can even swing by and pick up Jeff on the way!:D

cdalejef
01-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Ummmmm.......NO! I've rode with you before :uhoh:

PolarisRider06
01-10-2007, 09:50 PM
It is hard enough finding a rider that has the time and willingness to test and write for a review on anything, especially when they are not being sponsored or paid and have no real conection to the product except the love of this sport.

well if your ever within 500 miles or so of me i'm always up for it, i've always been good at beating the living he!! out of machines to see how well they handle situations. give me a place to crash even if its just a place to throw up a tent if the weathers nice and i'm good to go.

01-10-2007, 11:00 PM
How come the music was so stupid?
Other than that, I will love my Raptor 700:D

Northstar Wolf
01-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Pretty good video, to bad you didn't have a better area to ride and take video. Would have loved to see how it does on large jumps ect........... Rock ON!

Evasiveone
01-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Great video and nice editing. The song went with the music really well. Linken Park rocks. Of course my wife and I still listen to the same music our kids and all their friends do. In fact their concert DVD is in the XboX 360 right now. ;)

Jeff going over those woops at speed looked pretty impressive. It did not look like the rear end was swapping or wanting to come sideways at all like most other quads with stock suspension.

Good Job!

bradley300
01-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Ummmmm.......NO! I've rode with you before :uhoh:

you of all people know should know that if it might break, i'll break it! i am the man when it comes to durability testing. i mean, its real world experience for a new quad. i can figure out 2 or 3 things withing a day or two ride about its durability. how does it hold up to being slid sideways into a tree? hit a tree head on? flip down a hill? jumped off a mountain top? people NEED to know how well a quad will hold up to these everyday experiences:D

NC_700R
01-11-2007, 08:34 AM
thanks for the video but what does it prove:confused: :rolleyes:

TYLER329
01-11-2007, 08:52 AM
It proves that it is fun to watch videos of atvs on the internet.

SKOT
01-11-2007, 09:50 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Put a deposit on one in oldham co. the outher day.been riding bikes all my life. change of pace.was told it to be shiped on 1/16. cannot wait. props to jeff fro da pappa.

cdalejef
01-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
you of all people know should know that if it might break, i'll break it! i am the man when it comes to durability testing. i mean, its real world experience for a new quad. i can figure out 2 or 3 things withing a day or two ride about its durability. how does it hold up to being slid sideways into a tree? hit a tree head on? flip down a hill? jumped off a mountain top? people NEED to know how well a quad will hold up to these everyday experiences:D I meant riding with you in your truck. :eek2:

cdalejef
01-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by SKOT
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Put a deposit on one in oldham co. the outher day.been riding bikes all my life. change of pace.was told it to be shiped on 1/16. cannot wait. props to jeff fro da pappa.

Who is this?

bradley300
01-11-2007, 10:07 AM
yeah, i see now. sometimes i even scare myself, lol

SKOT
01-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Scott Lynn its me jeff, does wisdom have a qoad? would like to get together with a group and try that sucker out. also any info on a twist assy, cant do thumb thing.
thanks in advance.

cdalejef
01-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Scott Lynn its me jeff, does wisdom have a qoad? would like to get together with a group and try that sucker out. also any info on a twist assy, cant do thumb thing.
thanks in advance.

LOL.....ahhhh, now I know who it is.
Nope, he just has a bike but Jason Greer, Fortner and a bunch of their friends have quads now and they ride alot! The twist assembly and cable from the KTM 525 bike will bolt right up.

SKOT
01-11-2007, 04:00 PM
;) ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Cool i will have to trac a cable down. Great review on the out law!!!!!!! fortner sold the yfz. greer is acident prone. warren is all right.stil cant wait to get that new beast. I stil got my XR . old faithful!!!! thanks for the info.

SKOT
01-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Oh !!ment to ask about any rec, on getting fair deal on cable etc, I heard ktm stuf kind of hard to find.

cdalejef
01-11-2007, 07:09 PM
I'd get it from Commonwealth, they are a KTM dealer now.

GE4x4
01-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Oh !!ment to ask about any rec, on getting fair deal on cable etc, I heard ktm stuf kind of hard to find.

Twist (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KTM-Domino-Throttle-Cables-for-Keihin-FCR-Carb-SX-EXC_W0QQitemZ330073578956QQihZ014QQcategoryZ50464Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

SKOT
01-12-2007, 06:10 AM
;) thanks for the link twisr. so its a doudle cable design. push pull. glad to find nice people with good info,not too many smart asses. I thank you fellow again!!!!:) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :D :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

thunderwolf
01-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by calds650
Looks like a Polaris won the amateur class this last weekend at the Parker 250
It was a 2006 Polaris Outlaw 500 that won, with me and my brothers aboard. It was a very fun race with the Outlaw. It was Absolutely stock except for the tires and hand guards. We did break the sway bar at around mile 225, but other than that we had no problems.

GE4x4
01-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Awesome job. :macho

calds650
01-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Great job thunderwolf are you going to due any of the WORCS? I will be duing round 1 at PHX.

calds650
03-21-2007, 07:43 AM
great article I love the videos I never did make it too any of the WORCS races may be next year I will be ready.

Eddie11gt
04-14-2007, 11:16 AM
How well will the Outlaw 525 performe at the dunes.

eerhard09
04-14-2007, 01:06 PM
The reports I have seen, they do very well. It is recommended that you get a set of ribbed fronts as well though (they are cheap). I will be taking mine to Silver Lake running 20" 8 paddle Haulers and 22" single ribbed Kenda Dune Runners but that is not until May.....