PDA

View Full Version : 250R A-Arms on a 300EX

Lonestar_R
12-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Is anyone using this setup or have they used it? And if I use stock width 250R a-arms they would be +2 for a 300EX? Right? And do I have to use a shock relocator bracket or can I just use stock stock length setup for a +2 arm....I really don't want to use the relocator bracket or a long stock.....I just don't want to go to the expense and the bother of it for all the bike is going to be used for.

I ask these questions cause I found some standard travel stock 250R length Lager a-arms and want to use them on a 300EX.....Thnaks in advance

Caseys 300ex
12-21-2006, 04:58 AM
They worked just fine for me but u have to use the 300ex bushings. Most people will dog on them but i loved mine. You can use ur stock shocks but it will sit low.

Lonestar_R
12-21-2006, 08:47 AM
how low is low......

300exOH
12-21-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Lonestar_R
Is anyone using this setup or have they used it? And if I use stock width 250R a-arms they would be +2 for a 300EX? Right? And do I have to use a shock relocator bracket or can I just use stock stock length setup for a +2 arm....I really don't want to use the relocator bracket or a long stock.....I just don't want to go to the expense and the bother of it for all the bike is going to be used for.

I ask these questions cause I found some standard travel stock 250R length Lager a-arms and want to use them on a 300EX.....Thnaks in advance

250R arms work okay on a budget. I would use the early style 87(and maybe 88) with the removeable/adjustable balljoints or you will have camber issues. You will need the 300ex a arm bushings like stated above. You can also run a slightly longer aftermarket shock without using the relocator bracket. I think the shock has to be around 14.5"-14.75" from eye to eye. The quad will sit too low with the stock shocks and it will be really soft. I tried the stock shocks on mine with 250r a arms and I could almost bottom the quad out by jumping on the footpegs.

Lonestar_R
12-21-2006, 09:03 AM
well these are stock length Leager arms for a 250R.......which I think I am using 400EX spindles and hubs in the front....but I have a deal going on for a set of Elka front shocks setup for a stock 300EX. So this is why I'm asking

300exOH
12-21-2006, 09:12 AM
well these are stock length Leager arms for a 250R.......which I think I am using 400EX spindles and hubs in the front....but I have a deal going on for a set of Elka front shocks setup for a stock 300EX. So this is why I'm asking

400ex spindles will help the handling some. I did notice that I lost turning radius with them though. The problem with running stock length 300ex shocks is that your ride height may be too low up front. You might be able to crank up the preload on the elkas enough to make up for it but I'm not sure. You could get a brand new set of custom length works econo shocks for around $350 if you're on a budget. I guess it depends on how good the deal is on the elkas. If the price is right it may be worth a try but I would think the custom works would perform better than elkas that aren't properly set up for the application. Food for thought anyhow...

Lonestar_R
12-21-2006, 09:50 AM
The elkas are in a trade so there is no money out of pocket.....I can always t look for a set of 300EX a-arms somewhere.....my stepson doesn't weigh much or ride very hard....but the elkas make great trading stock for another set of shocks later...but an Elka Laeger setup on a 300EX would just be different

300exOH
12-21-2006, 11:34 AM
The elkas are in a trade so there is no money out of pocket.....I can always t look for a set of 300EX a-arms somewhere.....my stepson doesn't weigh much or ride very hard....but the elkas make great trading stock for another set of shocks later...but an Elka Laeger setup on a 300EX would just be different

Since ther's no cash out of pocket then I'd give it a try then. You could always find a set of 300ex extended arms later if it doesn't work out. Since it's for a light rider you might be okay.

Lonestar_R
12-21-2006, 11:36 AM
I think the arms are gonna cost me next to nothing......but for the money your right I could just buy new that are the right length....I guess we will see......

2muchquad
12-21-2006, 03:49 PM
I had a 300ex with a 250r swinger set up and 250r a arms and i loved it.A lot of people may not be for them but for a play rider they are perfect,its not like im trying to race nationals wit'em:D

cody_119
12-30-2006, 02:25 AM
you can use 250r a arms on the 300ex. we had to trim them down a bit to fit but it worked. im now using 400ex a arms, i like them a bit better. if you want to use stock shocks you can, it wont sit real low, or you can fab a bracket to use R shocks, but they are pretty stiff. stock shocks are fine. here what mine looks like with offset wheels. (its the one on the very bottom)

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=198475&perpage=15&pagenumber=8

Lonestar_R
12-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Thansk guys for all the input.....but I stole a set of new/used Burguards on ebay last weekend. They are +2+1 nickle plated made for the 300EX that use stock shock length. I got them yesterday and they are really nice. And I now how the Elkas I traded for which are in nice shape also. My stepson should be very happy with his new quad when its done. And I have bunches of parts leaving for Pappy's at the end of next week. Thanks again guys

Sjorge450R
12-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Thansk guys for all the input.....but I stole a set of new/used Burguards on ebay last weekend. They are +2+1 nickle plated made for the 300EX that use stock shock length. I got them yesterday and they are really nice. And I now how the Elkas I traded for which are in nice shape also. My stepson should be very happy with his new quad when its done. And I have bunches of parts leaving for Pappy's at the end of next week. Thanks again guys

good to hear you like the elkas. I put the clutch in and everything last night and went to ride it today and its makes some sort of obknockshous noise. its something I did wrong prob. I am calling Rekluse on tuesday. But it works amazing.

Lonestar_R
12-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Steve it sounds like you need to adjust it...check your clearances again...and the perch adjuster...my buddies did the same after it was ridden an hour or so.....I think its your break in to your clutch fibers

Sjorge450R
12-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Steve it sounds like you need to adjust it...check your clearances again...and the perch adjuster...my buddies did the same after it was ridden an hour or so.....I think its your break in to your clutch fibers

alright I will double check everything. Im not worried about it sinec tomorrow is New years eve I will just wait until tuesday or wensday to call rekluse. I am pretty sure its normal, because the quad is moving forward with all the regular power.

Lonestar_R
12-31-2006, 09:28 AM
I think they say you should check the clearance's.....I think your in good shape.....like I said my buddies did the same thing

Sjorge450R
12-31-2006, 12:25 PM
yeah Ichecked them again and they are draggin out with some resitance on a .035 and its supposed to be between .03 and .042 so i dont know. I prob need to take out another stock plate and put in another .44 plate or what ever it is.