PDA

View Full Version : Blew up my 06 400ex b/c of a clutch

440challenger
12-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Ok where do i start....
I have an 06 400ex. Did a clutch on it once before. Started slippign from doing alot of slow speed trails,hill climb stuff (abusing it). Figured id put a new one in. I do it, offset the last clutch plate (didnt remember doing that the last time i did it but thats what the manual and the people here say to do) Went out rididng and after about an hour heard a grinding noise fromt he clutch. Took it back home poped the cover off.... first two fibers are gone down to the metal. Very mad now......thinking the last plate should of not been offset. Got a new fiber set today and installed them all straight up. New oil and filter. Went rididn for about 10 minutes and the quad locks up. WTF! lower end feels like it seized but motor still turns over tightly. Check the valves,all close within spec, compression is 125psi.
Pull the oil strainer out,oh my, clogged soild with clutch fiber. No oil to the lower end. Cleaned the whole oil system out new oil etc. Quad has a lower end crank knock for the first few minutes of start up. Im heart broken. Please tell me, What way is the final clutch plate supposed to be installed! the offest way already ruined my 2006 400ex. can send pics of the plates if interested..

lpmaster
12-20-2006, 11:25 PM
sounds like a, your oiling holes in the basket are clogged, and b. yourr not soaking your fibers in oil before assembly, also make sure the gasket and or old gasket is not covering any oil passages, crank knock prior to start up after youve drained the oil and it sat for awhile, although not good is normal, the fibers probable would not have moved from that side of the motor, clean out the screen and try again, unfortunately therte maybe something else wroong if your eating clutches that quickly make sure your installing those 2 washers propery and that big clutch nut(the staked one) is tight and not coming loose, thats all i've got for now

440challenger
12-21-2006, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the reply sir. Let me please state that im not new to mechanics or working on motors etc. I've probably done over 50 clutches and this is just blowing my mind.

Ok, i always soak the clutches in oil in a zip lock bag before installing. Gasket is ok. I did clean the oil strainer, new filter etc. Started it up again and the crank still knocks until warmed up . Im betting the bearings are toast. Make sure i installed two washers? which ones? the only washer that i know of that could of fallen off is the one on the reverse shaft. The big nut thats staked that holds the inner clutch hub is TIGHT but the outer basket when not filled with clutch plates has some play but i believe that is normal.

400exstud
12-21-2006, 02:36 PM
That's amazing! Two clutch replacements on an '06!!! Holy crap. Most people never have to touch the bottom end of their 400ex.

440challenger
12-21-2006, 03:03 PM
when you ride every day and hard , parts wear out. I was also testing out a 1 tooth taller front sprocket for more top end ,which didnt help when doing slow speed wheelies etc. Back to the point,how do you guys install your plates on the 400ex last friction plate off set or lined up with others?

PismoLocal
12-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Offset.

440challenger
12-21-2006, 09:13 PM
i did offset it the time that it wore out like in the pics. I thought being offset is what caused it to wear out like that. Anyone have anyideas why that happened????

crzycooter05
12-21-2006, 09:23 PM
not sure about the ex but my xr400r has the last plate offset so you had it right

fordhondarider
12-23-2006, 12:29 AM
wow 2 clutchs already?I still have the original clutch in mine from 99 and I beat the piss outta mine

Unverfehrt400ex
12-23-2006, 10:38 AM
yeh i cant believe that. I ride the hell out of my 2000 every day and never touched the engine.

guinness77
12-23-2006, 11:04 AM
2 clutches?

Something's wrong there alright.
I ride mine like I stold it and the last clutch plate inspection went well.

440challenger
12-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Well,I set up the clutch straight up and it seems to be working perfectly fine ("2" 30 minute rides) going to pull the cover and inspect the clutch tommrow for wear. .

On the 05+ with reverse do you think your not supposed to offset the plates?

Instead of everyone chimeing in how long their clutch lasted, im looking for help on to why this happened in such a short amount of time when i offset the last fiber plate. :confused:

lpmaster
12-23-2006, 07:17 PM
i have an 05 and didnt offest the clutch and it slips under load, i then offset the same clutch fibers and noow it runs perfect, i dont know why that happened to your fibers other than they either didnt get oil or the cllutch was doing nothing but slipping while you were riding it, i've never seen a cutch fiber that bad oon an automibile or atv even when it stops working

exrider008
12-23-2006, 07:26 PM
not to take ur post but what dose offseting you clutch mean?:confused:

JOEX
12-23-2006, 08:13 PM
It looks like only the one fiber was worn severely... The others are OK? Where was that fiber located in the stack? Maybe that could be a clue to what happened. What kind of oil?

440challenger
12-24-2006, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
It looks like only the one fiber was worn severely... The others are OK? Where was that fiber located in the stack? Maybe that could be a clue to what happened. What kind of oil?

Hey joe .. the fiber that was worn serverly was basically only the one side of it and just one plate. It was the last fiber to go on which was off set and against the pressure plate. The fiber side against the pressure plate didnt wear,it was the side of the fiber against the metal. When together, the clutch was within normal adjustment and nouthing strange (like lots or free play or abosoutley no free play). The oil i used was honda 10-40 motorcycle oil. I dont understand what would cause just the one side of the fiber to wear , other then of what i just thought of...

Say you install all but the last clutch plates straight up, now you put the last fiber in off set. If the off set fiber wasnt sitting against the metal behind it the only time it would grab/have pressure against that side would be when the clutch was engaged,but then, not grabbing godd ,slipping causing to quick wear.. So basically im thinking when i offset the last fiber ,it was on the other notches in the basket as you place it to off set and there was a gap. Does this make any sense as possibility? They were EBC clutch plates.

donny-g
12-31-2006, 03:36 PM
I don't usually reply to these, but this case in interesting to me. First, I would make sure (beyond a doubt) that ALL oiling system ports are clear and real real clean, and of course new filter and GN4 10w-40w.

Next, lay out the clutch steel and fibers on a glass table and verify they are machine flat. Inspect the plates seperatly (on all sides for any foriegn matter) each, one-at-a-time. Re-assemble clutch assembly according to the Factory Service Manual exactly. Test pressure the clutch and make clearly visual what is going on. Be sure there is equal pressure from the plate all the way through the stack. It appears to me that the there is not equal and firm pressure being asserted on the members. This will cause heat and thus fast wear! I have seen this scenario before, but it was on a dirt bike. Hope that helps.

krt400ex
12-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by 400exstud
That's amazing! Two clutch replacements on an '06!!! Holy crap. Most people never have to touch the bottom end of their 400ex.

yea...i slip my clutch all the time with wheelies, hills, muds bogs...u name it...and i have only had to adjust my clutch once :eek2: