PDA

View Full Version : removing Spark arrestor

mustangflyboy
12-20-2006, 04:35 PM
Does removing the S/A from an 06 450er have any impact on performance? I've read of people having to bash something out with a screwdriver. After removing my end cap the S/A just pulls right out then screw the end cap back on. I'm assuming it's that simple. Maybe the design has changed.
With it removed, the pipe looks pretty much free flowing straight through to the header pipe. Does an aftermarket pipe really make any difference?

Sjorge450R
12-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by mustangflyboy
Does removing the S/A from an 06 450er have any impact on performance? I've read of people having to bash something out with a screwdriver. After removing my end cap the S/A just pulls right out then screw the end cap back on. I'm assuming it's that simple. Maybe the design has changed.
With it removed, the pipe looks pretty much free flowing straight through to the header pipe. Does an aftermarket pipe really make any difference?

buy an HRC end cap or simular. Dont run the pipe straight through. As for gettig the cap off. The heads of the bolts suck. I had to grind away the entire head with a dremmel and then drill a little to get my cap off.

mustangflyboy
12-20-2006, 05:56 PM
I've already removed the s/a, the end cap came off pretty easy.
I put the end cap back on, but I haven't run it yet. Does the stock cap not provide enough back pressure with the s/a removed?
I just want to understand why the HRC cap makes a difference over the stock one.
I like to understand how and why something works.

KrazyKeith
12-20-2006, 06:29 PM
THe HRC cap will restrict a little more than just taking the sparky out. I ran mine with the stock endcap and no s/a, it worked good w/ no lid and a 170 main. I dont think any slipon is gonna be any better than the stock can.

byrdman37876
12-20-2006, 07:31 PM
i took it out of my 07 pretty easy. 3 bolts and it just pulls out.
runs allright like that.

mustangflyboy
12-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by KrazyKeith
THe HRC cap will restrict a little more than just taking the sparky out. I ran mine with the stock endcap and no s/a, it worked good w/ no lid and a 170 main. I dont think any slipon is gonna be any better than the stock can.

That is what my locl shop said about the stock 06 can, pretty close to aftermarket except sound
what elevation r u at? I'm about 3000'

roundsy
12-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
buy an HRC end cap or simular. Dont run the pipe straight through. As for gettig the cap off. The heads of the bolts suck. I had to grind away the entire head with a dremmel and then drill a little to get my cap off.

just wondering, will the 04/05 HRC end cap work with an 06/07 canister?...thanks

Sjorge450R
12-21-2006, 03:47 AM
yeah all the end caps will fit.